“Not bad, but not exactly good”
Review of Oxbow - CLOSED

Oxbow
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013

There are not a lot of choices in St. Francisville on a Wednesday night. Since this place was recommended and close by, we decided to give it a try. The Caesar salad was pretty good, and the bread we ordered was okay. It was the 'half loaf' and was huge. The menu says it serves 2-3, but I think it could serve 4 easily. My husband and I each had the filet mignon, both of which seemed larger than the 8 oz. the menu indicated. We ordered them medium rare, but one was a little thicker so it turned out more like rare. The seasonings tasted good at first bite, but after a few bites they seemed like they were fighting with the flavor of the meat rather than enhancing it. The side dish was a very large potato that had a cheesy sauce on it. It was okay. Since the food was rather average, I thought that made the prices a little high.

1  Thank ChickyLu
There are newer reviews for Oxbow

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is THE good restaurant in the area, and has struggled to remain open, not always successfully. But one thing you must not miss while visiting this beautiful, enchanted pocket of the Deep South is the Turtle Soup, which can be served with Sherry if you wish. I have never had a soup anywhere else, that actually sent shock waves through me with such great excellence, except for maybe the Mission Inn in Calif. that had lobster bisque, but that's another place indeed. Offerings on the menu canvass innovative treatments of regional favorites; I've had many things, but what I remember most was the Crab meat Au Gratin. The loaves of bread offered are wonderful appetizers at a good price, but be careful, you don't want to fill up too quickly. To be fair and honest, service can be spotty, and the stuffed potatoes as a side were served cold when everything else was perfect. Still, I make allowances for things like this when one of the selections they're known for is so good, so well done, and now, popular enough to be available to go as well. I tell you, this Turtle Soup with Sherry has the power to make you forgive anyone you resent, and thus has had Healing effects on myself and many others. You MUST try this.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The food was really good but a little overpriced. The atmosphere was really lacking. I also had a little bit of a hard time figuring out that I had to go through the car wash to get there. Service was adequate. I had the trout. My husband had the fried oysters. He said they were exceptional. We definitely didn't walk away hungry.

1  Thank Griffins22
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Well, my french onion soup was, ugh, nasty.....the bread was good (that might have been the best thing about it) and it was really over priced for such average food......again, just go to Magnolia!

4  Thank baylie h
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Went there with friends will visting and it was horrible. The best thing I ate was the bread! The fish is still a mystery to me... was suppose to be catfish????
The service was even worse than the food and the mgr seemed to care less.
Dont make this mistake.. just go to McDonalds!

4  Thank Dixie335