“Beautiful grounds - fun place to stay.”

The Myrtles Plantation
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience antebellum splendor in this circa 1796 National Historic Register plantation home renowned for its mystery, history and intrigue.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We spent a Sunday night a few weeks ago in one of the garden rooms, which is away from the main house. The room was furnished very nicely, nice bed and a claw foot bathtub, which I loved! We took a historical tour in the afternoon, which is included in the room fee. Our guide was very knowledgeable and fun. In October they offer a Mystery Tour in the evening which is more about the ghosts and happenings around the plantation. That tour was a lot of fun! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant is normally closed on Sunday evenings, but it was open the Sunday we stayed because of the Angola Prison Rodeo. Our dinner was very good! After dinner we walked all over the grounds taking pictures. All though I didn't see anything happen, I did get some orbs in a few of my pictures. They had a very nice breakfast spread in the General Store in the morning.

I do recommend a stay here, but keep in mind, this is a Bed & Breakfast. They do not allow food or drink, except water, in the rooms. There isn't an ice machine, and no access to any food or drink after the restaurant and General Store closes for the night. So come prepared. We had a cooler with us, so we ran to a store up the road and got some ice and drinks for the evening. If you know all of this ahead of time, which we did, you'll enjoy your stay more!

1  Thank MissinNola
There are newer reviews for The Myrtles Plantation

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family and I went to spend the night and explore the property. We stayed in the main house. We rented the William Winters Room, Ruffin-Stirling Room, and the John W. Leake Room. When my youngest daughter was trying to go to sleep, she kept telling me to quit "bunching the cover up under her." I told her since I was on the opposite side and there was no way I could be pushing the covers up under her. The next morning at breakfast, we asked some of the things that had been reported in the room and were told that people are always saying someone tries to tuck them in. That was BEFORE we told then of our experience. Also, my son in law asked me if we had been up laughing late into the night and we told him no, we went to sleep pretty early and he said he heard what sounded like kids laughing. He was told that used to be the children's nursery he had slept in and a common occurence is quests saying they hear children laugh. Beautiful grounds, beautiful, historical house and a tour of the bottom floor is included in your stay as is a nice, delicious homemade breakfast. A lovely gift shop is also located on the grounds. A great time was had by all!!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This plantation might not be as opulent as others in the area, but the history of it is unique. Read up on the ghost story before you visit. It is interesting. It is located in a beautiful area just north of Baton Rouge.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We recently stayed for 2 nights at the Myrtles Plantation. We took 2 of the history tours that were offered. One given by a young man close to closing time that was lacking some of the information that was given to us by the woman the previous day. We stayed in the Woodruff suite upstairs off the main staircase. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Breakfast was delicious. Had dinner the second night at the Carriage House restaurant. The house is very stately and old. Just like a beautiful elderly southern woman, it might have it's wrinkles and you might see a peek at it's petticoat through the wallpaper, but it's a wonderful old house with lots of history. It's beautiful for what it is. If you're expecting hotel quality then you will be disappointed but if you want to see an old plantation just as it was back in the day then you will be glad you visited the Myrtles. Oh and by the way, no personal experiences, but some interesting pictures!

1  Thank MoonieKay
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband took me for a weekend but we were unable to spend the night at the Myrtles so we stayed somewhere else but we did take the tour on one of our days & we loved it ...I am looking forward to spending the night and having a meal here as well ...I only wish it was more afordable to spend the night