“Nice, but short of Excellent”

Sleep Inn & Suites Ruston
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Ruston
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here for one night traveling to Dallas. It is a nice Sleep Inn and appears to have been built within the last few years, although it is starting to show some minor signs of wear that need to be addressed (dirty walls in the room at a place or two, lobby smelled kind of musty, etc). Still a very nice place...just needs to have some attention to keep it that way. The reviewer below may have been staying at a comfort inn in town, which is much older. I would certainly rate this higher than two-stars, although it is not a five.

There are four floors, interior corridors with a very slow elevator. The rooms are nicely furnished and have comfy bedding, flat screen TVs, large shower enclosures (no tub in our room), granite counter tops, etc. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub, although it was too crowded to enjoy during our stay. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Breakfast in the AM is good, but not excellent. There is sausage, but it had little taste. Waffle maker is available...first time I had seen a blueberry option, but it did not cook well. All of the cereals, pastries, etc were there and it was fine.

The hotel is awkward to access due to the one-way streets in the vicinity, but a GPS will get you there.

Overall, it was a good experience. But they will have to bump up the upkeep and breakfast if they are going to sustain the $100+ rates. Right now, i'd say it's a decent value in the $70's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn & Suites Ruston

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stopped here for an overnight stay on way from Tx to Florida. Was disappointed in the hotel, which we booked after reading reviews. Found it to be old and not very clean. Walls needed paint and carpet was dirty. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night traveling home. We were looking for indoor pool & whirlpool, this had both! Great rate, superior service, good location, quiet & friendly. Would stay again--but make sure you ask for a room away from the elevator as it dings every time it arrives on the floor.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank futbolchic
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Very nice! Clean, comfortable and extremely well priced. I had a king room, it came with mini frige, microwave, wifi and breakfast for $106 a night after taxes.

The breakfast was very good. A variety of cereals, pastries and some hot items like eggs and bacon
There was also a manager's reception in the evening with snacks and drinks...no wine though but they did have beer.

I highly recommend this Sleep Inn.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank deezoomo
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is a great Sleep Inn! Most Sleep Inns tend to be older and the rooms smaller. Not the case here.

Our group consisted of my wife and I and our two kids. We stayed in a two queen room in July, 2012. The hotel is very nice on the outside with plenty of parking. The lobby was nice and the check-in was quick and efficient. The front desk staff was very friendly. The hotel interior was very clean.

The room was nice and cool. The bathroom was large and had the sink inside. The beds were very comfortable, as were the pillows. The TV was a large flat screen and the room also had a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. They had free wi-fi and there was also an ethernet port near the desk. The room and bathroom were very clean.

The pool was indoors and heated. It also had an attached Jacuzzi spa. It was your average size hotel pool and it had plenty of seating on the deck area.

The continental breakfast was great. They had waffles, eggs, bacon, yogurt, several kinds of cereal, pastries, biscuits, bagels, toast, milk, coffee and juice. The eating area was very large with a large flat screen TV playing the morning news. The staff were constantly restocking food all the way up to when it closed. They never ran out of food. This breakfast was easily as good as any high end chain hotel, if not better.

I would HIGHLY recommend this Sleep Inn. The next time we are passing through, we will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank greg2171
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Was doubtful that I would even find a decent place to stay in this town.But this sleep inn was a real nice surprise,for my one night, of being held over here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank harleybrewski
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed there for a family reunion last weekend. The hotel was clean and nice but the a/c didn't really work as it should. It was either too hot or too cold. We also had two rooms together on the 2nd floor that faced another roof??? We had smelled natural gas in the lobby the first day and mentioned it to the desk attendant at the time and were told they 'had the door to the hot water closet open' and it 'happened all the time'??? Whoa - ok?!?

On the last morning I had a cold shower (but both my girls the night before had hot showers). When we were leaving I asked people who were in our party if they had hot water since they were in the rooms on either side of ours. All had hot showers. So, I went to the desk (thinking about the natural gas smell and earlier conversation) and asked the manager if there might be any reason we had no hot water and she told me rudely that I obviously wasn't working the water control correctly?!? Really!?! Well, I had a hot shower the day before and I 'worked it just fine' that day so I'm pretty sure THAT wasn't it. In fact I tried every possible position of that handle. She told me if I had called someone they would have 'come and shown me how to use the control.' I thought, how funny that seemed, so I told her I was 'naked in the shower' so that would have been a bit difficult to do.
She didn't think that was funny . . . . and I REALLY didn't think she should be in management.

So if you go to the Sleep Inn in Ruston, you'll get a good clean room, but just might not get great view or a consistent temperature in your room OR a hot shower . . . . well, not unless you know how to 'hold your mouth just right' as I obviously did not.

Room Tip: Higher rooms probably don't have a view of a roof over the room where breakfast is served.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family