“Friendly service, delicious food and portions”

Frog City Travel Plaza Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 28 Restaurants in Rayne
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Friendly service, delicious food and portions”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We went here not knowing what to expect. It is located adjacent to a truck stop/travel plaza. Our waitress was very friendly and efficient. Our orders were served quite promptly. Being in Rayne, a town known as the "Frog Capital of the world", we had to try the fried frog legs as an appetizer. They were crisp on the outside, moist and tasty inside. I ordered the Half-n-Half Platter with Crawfish étouffée over rice, fried shrimp, and steamed veggies -delicious and like home-cooking! The veggies were a little overcooked, but I enjoyed the main dish too much to mind. My son had the Alligator Burger, which he said was pretty good. Our table also shared an order of Sweet Potato fries and onion rings, which were crisp and good also. We will definitely dine here again the next time we are near Rayne, LA!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank SS3L

Ocala, Florida, USA
“Quick and Good”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The food was good although not inexpensive. Service was friendly. Chef Roy's, just down the street, is better if you want real Cajun.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank SUZANNE T
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Two stops, and missing something.”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I love food! Food with flavor, food that makes others cringe, and food that is native to the area I am visiting. That being said, I stopped in Rayne a few years ago, and was told to eat at the Frog City Travel Plaza. I like that you can pull off I-10 and gawk at the frog murals, and statues that line most of the streets as you make your way to Frog City Travel Plaza.
The setting is casual, and my first visit was filled with locals. My second visit found a mostly empty dining room, with a few locals. The buffet table was mostly salad fixings, and soups. Fried foods take up a good first half of the menu, burgers, and other miscellaneous dishes make up the remainder of the menu, (steak, pasta, and sandwiches). Portions are reasonable, prices seem higher than what one might expect for 'local' specialties, and service is okay.

My daughter, and I ordered fried alligator tenders, fried popcorn shrimp, and fried crawfish tails, all came with a cocktail sauce, and tartar sauce dip. As our main entrees, we just decided on a bowl of gumbo with rice, and red beans, sausage with rice. The selections left us full, and we were happy with what we ordered. I just feel there's so much potential for this plaza restaurant. I love Cajun/Creole food, and would love to see more local fare, and flavors. A stop like Frog City is an experience, I just feel like the best is hidden somewhere else.

• Visited July 2014
Wendell, North Carolina
“Great breakfast!”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stopped in one morning and had a great breakfast. I had a great omelet and my daughter had wonderful pancakes, eggs and bacon. I'd stop there again.

• Visited April 2014
Central Louisiana
“Excellent crawfish & shrimp plates!”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Next door to Best Western and open 24/7 for late night folks. Ate some delicious crawfish and boiled shrimp served in large portions. Prices are very good and their menu offers many options. Enjoyed the dining experience. Friends of ours also ate there on our recommendation and they too had a delicious meal.

Visited March 2014