“very unsatisfied”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blackrod
Reviewed October 27, 2012

we were on a national coach trip to see dirty dancing in liverpool and stopped one night at this hotel. Dinner had been arranged for five o clock giving us time to eat it before leaving at six to get to liverpool in time for the show. went down at five and sat in the restuarant there was no sign of food or staff. at quarter past five staff started to take our orders for starters. following this the main courses started appearing for us to go help ourselves from a food bar. when we got to this there was very little food left we told the staff who just said that was all they had left. the staffs attitude was very poor with little concern about the situation. because they were late taking our starter orders we had to leave having just finished what little we had for our main meal. on our return from the show we decided to have a drink in the bar there was no bitter and i wanted a brandy which they also did not have the whole experience was vey poor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank adrian m
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Adrian M

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor in relation to your recent stay at the Mercure Bolton Georgian House.

All feeback from whatever media is always used constructively, so I thank you for bringing various matters to my attention.

I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bolton Georgian House again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Booked a one night b&b and evening meal deal through Wahanda. It cost £50 each. So got a really good deal. 8 of us went to celebrate a friends 50th birthday. On arrival staff were very pleasant and even though it was before check in time our rooms were ready.

Rooms were small but exceptionally clean and perfectly adequate. We ate in the bar and really enjoyed a spinach wrap which was reasonably priced.

The pool was warm and clean though there isn't enough room to lie on loungers and there were only plastic chairs to sit on. Pool staff were very friendly and helpful.

We had booked the meal in the restaurant and we're seated straight away. We could chose off a set menu which was included in our deal or we had an allowance of up to £22 off the main menu.

Everyone was impressed with the starters but the trouble came with the mains. 2 steaks were ordered and they came out lukewarm as did the pork belly. We sent them back but it took 20 mins for a replacement and by that time everyone else had eaten their dinner the replacements were also lukewarm but we had lost our appetite by that stage. And it looked like the kitchen had closed. Staff were polite enough but they weren't around very often and we had to go looking for someone on a number of occasions and we weren't offered dessert or coffee so some people didn't even get the chance to use up their £22 allowance!! The restaurant manager did apologise and took the steaks off the price and also the wine but then tried to say we owed £140!! Took a while for him to understand when we tried to explain our evening meal was included in the deal we'd already paid for!

Breakfast next morning was excellent.

On check out we were told £4.45 was owed on each room for drinks. Totally confused I asked to speak to the duty manager. She was very pleasant and straight away apologised for this and when I explained the debacle in the restaurant she seemed mortified and again apologised saying it would be addressed as it wasn't acceptable.

We went up to the rooms to gather our bags and the manager knocked on the door with a box of chocolates and bottle of fizz for the birthday girl as a way of apology and said she would be sending vouchers out to me as another way of recompense for the trouble we'd had in the restaurant.

I have to say I was very impressed with the way our complaint was handled. The restaurant clearly has problems but management took our complaint seriously and they should be commended for that.

Hopefully the problems in the restaurant will be addressed as this is a nice hotel and we got an extremely good deal. For a cheap night away in a nice hotel you cant get much better and if the restaurant had sorted itself out I would have given it full marks

• Stayed: October 2012
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear mhm6

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel on Trip Advisor. Constructive feedback such as yours will only make our business more successul.

I thank you for the constructive tone of your review. It goes without saying that points need for improvement will be investigated and acted upon.

I hope that you will consider using the Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel again soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Mixed review ,postives plenty of free on site parking, nice resturant and bar area, Not so positive , room was small, got a twin despite booking a double, bit tatty and bathroom needs to be upgraded.

Waited about 10 minutes to get served in the bar, some people left after waiting to get served. Eventually got a drink, decided to order a bar meal. While the member of staff was taking my order the phone went, he left me, and spent about another 5-6 minutes taking a room service order while I stood here, staff training may be an issue here.

Got my meal , but no cutlery, member of staff told me give me a couple of minutes and I will get this for you. After about 5 minutes I had to go up to the bar to ask for these?

Not sure if there are not enough sfaff, lack of training or I just got them on a bad night? Would I stay again , not sure!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rhodesiabill

Dear rhodesiabill

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed one night after business trip to Manchester, good location just off junction 6 of M61. From the moment we checked in to checking out the following morning the staff were very friendly and helpful. Did not use the pool but although we had a room along the corridor we could not smell chlorine in either the corridor or our room. Service in the bar was quick and friendly, and the young lady in the restaurant was charming. Couldn’t do enough for us, we ordered 2 glasses of red wine which we thought were off, but not being experts could not really tell. She changed them both without a second thought. On leaving the following morning the two reception staff were again friendly and helpful, with a genuine, “have a safe trip”, and not the usual “have a nice day” valediction. Would stay there again without hesitation. And not even mentioned the price, bed and breakfast which was cheaper than than a well known Inn (room only) nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gontour

Dear Gontour,

Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor for the Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive such great comments.

It goes without saying that I will pass on your comments to the team, whom I know will be really pleased with your comments.

I hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A pleasant enough stay, attentive and friendly staff but hotel desperately in need of a full refurbishment - however I guess the price reflected this. Overbearing smell of chlorine from the pool throughout the hotel and room unbearably hot with no climate control. Dinner was average; soup was only tepid but breakfast buffet was hot and tasty.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Hezzie39

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My sister and I stayed for 2 nights, and as has been said previously, very friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast on the first morning was more than ample and in plentiful supply, however, this was not the case on the Sunday morning. There had been a wedding reception the night before which caused absolutely no problems at all, except that the amount of guests who stayed the night had been totally mis-calculated for breakfast the following morning. We left it late, only half and hour before breakfast cut off time, but although there were only a couple of tables still in use, we could not find a clean one, we took a table which had been set for four and only a couple of place settings had been used. No one came to offer a beverage, and when I went up to serve my self there was nothing left but a few baked beans!!!, no juice, no bread, no butter, no cold or cooked food. Unfortunately this caused me to panic as I am Diabetic and had already taken my morning Insulin and medication which meant I had to eat within a limited time frame. I went to reception to complain and said we would be leaving swiftly and to to please be sure to not include that mornings' breakfast for two on my bill!!.

I went back into the dining room to get my sister, and we were then offered a beverage, but I needed to get some food quickly, so we declined and left. No refund was given as we were then told at reception that the food was being 'replenished'. I needed my reserve supplies which I keep in the car, so we did not challenge this, paid and left.

This was such a shame, we had a lovely time up until then and will gladly return, but not include breakfast as I would need to be sure of getting something to eat within a reasonable time.

Just one more point, it was a shame the jacuzzi was not working as this had been a deciding factor when booking, just what I needed for my tired bones!!! Enjoyed my swim though!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Islandgirl060

Dear Islandgirl0600

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed just the one night at this hotel, found whilst on internet, what a great find. Spacious comfortable clean room with good sized bathroom. We were visiting friends in Wigan so it was just ideal for us on a one night stopover. We were lucky to have breakfast included with the deal and it was very good, although buffet style, plenty of choice. The staff were so friendly and helpful, reception found us a taxi very quickly and even got us a good quote for it into the bargain. I thoroughly recommend this hotel,it was quiet around the rooms and not too busy whilst we were staying and has a pool and spa.Its not far from the M61/M6 and easy to get to.It has a large car park to the rear with easy access into the hotel with cases etc.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the rear away from the busy Manchester Road.