“Average... not great but not too bad either”

Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blackrod
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Formerly the Ramada Bolton, this hotel has recently undergone a name change. Firstly, the pictures on the Mercure website bear no resemblence to the hotel itself - they are stock images only.

The good points first:

- Great reception team
- Good parking facilities (free)
- Superb breakfast
- Adequate gym for an overnight stay

The bad points:

- Possibly the most uncomfortable matress I have ever slept on
- Not enough pillows - only two per room
- Tatty room furniture - poor finish to tiles/sealant in bathroom etc
- The pool is tiny and the saunas are segrated (not great if you want to chill out with your wife or family)

We paid £85 for one night B&B which I thought was expensive. Not bad but not great either. A spruce up in the rooms would fix all the issues...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2011

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bolton West Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive both positive and negative feedback.

I will share your comments with my Management team, and we have already started addressing your feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I am sure your next visit will be a vast improvement on the previous one.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel

Reviewed November 9, 2011

The mecure Bolton west is set in the countryside to the west of Bolton, ideal for transport links, the hotel is very well presented. Upon arrival to reception you are given a warm & professional welcome and made to feel that nothing is too much, all the staff are polite, friendly & professional. The rooms are clean and well presented. The restaurant is ambient and the menu gives a wide sellection and is served cooked perfectly. The breakfasts are also cooked perfectly and there is plenty of variety.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank TerryWarren1

Dear Mr. Warren,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bolton West Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with my Management Team, who I'm sure will be very pleased to hear such great feedback.

I am sure that this feedback will also serve as an encouragement to all of our Team Members as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Bolton West soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed here in November 2011, as a base for long week-end break with my wife & daughter, close to Reebok stadium, just off M61.Quite & safe part of town, hotel was clean and tidy and good value for what we paid for bed & breakfast . staff were helful and polite. rooms were a fair size, breakfast was good and plentyful.

Room Tip: Fitness centre with a pool,felt safe whilst staying here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I will share your comments with Management Team, who I am sure will be delighted with the feedback, and will act as encouragement for all of our Team.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Bolton West Hotel again soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for three night on business.
This hotel was previously called the Ramada Bolton and have changed their name to the Mecure Bolton West, that is all the change looks like it encompassed rather than a makeover. The hotel does look warn and the rooms especially resemble an early 90s decore and facilities.
The bed was terrible, lumpy and you could feel the springs. The room was very small, the bathroom was large but totally warn out and dirty looking; the bathroom suite didn't match at all and there were stains on the floors, especially near the toilet.
Another issue was the fact that the housekeeping never changed the towels each day, even though I placed them on the floor each morning following a shower; I could tell because the towels were still damp when I returned in the evening.

I didn't eat at the hotel, mostly because hotel room service is not of a good standard or choice; however, Middlebrook Retail Park has a great selection of restaurants which are highly recommended for choice and quality.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2011

It’s really quite difficult to find fault with this hotel for the money.
I stayed at this hotel recently because we were attending a wedding reception which was at the hotel so we booked to stay the night.
I wasn’t expecting a lot but I was really pleasantly surprised.
The room we stayed in looked like it had recently undergone a make over (you could still smell the wet gloss paint). But the room was light and airy with a large bathroom all very nice and clean.
The hotel has a pool; steam room, gym etc. which I used and again I must say was very nice. Clean, well maintained perfect for a relax.
The breakfast room was a bit chaotic and I did have to wait 5 or 10 min before somebody asked me if I’d like tea or coffee but I can forgive that because there were a lot of children running around.
On a weekend it looks like this is a ‘wedding hotel’ is I guess you have to expect children but its something to consider if you want a quite no children weekend.
All in all, very good.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We went to the hotel to attend a friends wedding, the first impressions were the hotel was a little dated but it was very clean and well presented.
The WOW factor at this hotel is the staff, my children were pandered to and nothing was too much trouble, they provided games, kid’s packs and fruit shoots to keep them entertained.
The hotel has a large swimming pool which again was great for the kids and again we were all made to feel very welcome
The wedding it self was nothing short of amazing, from the function room, the food and again the friendly staff which went out of their way to make my friends special day on to remember.
Breakfast the following morning was a well stocked buffet and really did finish off a great stay

Room Tip: We had large family room on the ground floor room 219, this consisted of a double bed and two single...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2011

three words sum up our experience - wow wow wow.
we were married in central avenue suite before holding our reception in the windsor suite.
our designated co-ordinator Marie was injured in a car crash and had to take time off work this lead to some slight issues however when we voiced concern the general manager, Eric Spencer-Smith, he gave us his personal guarantee that he would oversee our special day personally. what followed was nothing short of perfection.
Eric gave us his mobile number and sat in on meetings and tasting evening and every request was granted. he even gave us a few recommendations of his own which was appreciated.
on the day itself we had a lot of guests travel long distances, most stayed in the hotel and Eric and his team allowed them to check in early to get ready.
the day was overseen by Eric, Paul Smith operations manager ( who had moved to another hotel but returned for our day ) , Sue ( Pauls relacement ) and all other high ranking members of staff..
their attention to detail and care went above and beyond our expectations.
the ceremony went beautifully, we and our guests were not just looked after but cared for.
the reception was run by Paul with an army of helpers, the meal ( soup, chicken with haggis and dessert) was served piping hot and it seemed to just appear. all tables received were served in no time so there was no-one finished before others were served.
I had requested trifle for dessert all other had a trio ( pannacotta, chocolate truffle, sticky toffee pudding) which would not have been out of place at a 3 star michelen restaurant.
my trifle stole the show, Eric presented me with a 3 foot tall cocktail glass filled with enough trifle to feed an army, he decorated it with sparklers for extra effect.
previously i had requested that the word individual was forgotten when my dessert arrived but once again Eric went way beyond my dreams.
getting married is a wonderfull thing but planning a wedding can be fraught. Eric and his amazing team made it stress free and easy.
our wedding day was perfect from the moment we woke up until we went to bed thanks to the guys at Mercure Bolton West.
i cant praise or thank them enough, they are simply wonderful.

Room Tip: ask for 321, or wingates suite - sensational
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackrod
Bolton Whites Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
#10 of 13 in Bolton
Travelodge Bolton Central River Street

Been to Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel? Share your experiences!