“Unacceptable accomodations”

Regency Inn & Suites Opelousas
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Opelousas
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We were in the city on Dec. 27, 2008 to celebrate a family members birthday. Upon entering the room (1) the floor had visible stains and spots(2)the toilet was unclean(3) the bath tub stopper was broken with very sharp edges-the shape of small knife (4)small black bugs along the baseboard by the head of one of the beds. We informed the front desk staff who attempted but failed at a reasonable change in accomodations. The front desk staff offered to give us a discounted rate of one night opposed to the full price of the two nights booked. Approximately 1 hr later the Opelousas Police was knocking at my room door stating that we were told to leave the property because the discounted rate of one night also ment for us to evacuate the premisis (which was NEVER stated by the front desk personnel) When explained the converstation between myself and the front desk person the policeman stated there was a obvious miscommunication on the hotel's part and they left promptly. I requested to talk to the manager and/or owner, who on each request was never available. I would NEVER EVER refer this hotel to anyone, please seek refuge somewhere else in thecity where the people have true management and people skills.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank nikkoHouston

Reviewed April 7, 2008

I have stayed at budget motels before...and this is worst of them all. I even contacted the hotel chain's people and complained.

Very unsafe - The chain on the door was broken. It actually looked as though it had been cut from the outside. This really made me nervous because I was alone with two small children. I called maintenance to come fix it, but they never showed up.

When we first arrived, we thought it would be fun to go to the pool. So, we left through the doors leading to the courtyard, not realizing that the key-card does not work for those doors. (A Sept. 2007 review states that there is a sign posted that those doors are for emergencies - I guess my complaint letter worked.) Anyway...since I locked the front door from the inside and left out the other doors, I got locked out of my room. The clerk did not have the key to the room, so she called the manager. The manager comes strolling in 3 hours later!!! I was stuck outside at dinner-time, with two 5-year-olds in only our bathing suits for 3 hours, not including the time that we spent swimming!! My car keys were in the room so we couldn't even leave to get something to eat! And the manager did not seem to care one bit. The manager even told me that this had happened before. What? And you didn't do anything to prevent it from happening again? No wonder the chain had been cut! And I assume the only precaution they took is to put a little sign on the counter that says the doors are for emergencies.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2007

There were multiple problems with our room. First the desk clerk lied to us and told us there were no rooms open on the bottom floor and she only had two-bed rooms. When we were doing the half mile to the ice machine we counted dozens of empty rooms, many with one big bed (no we're not peeping toms, the blinds were open on both sides of the room), and the parking lot was almost empty.
On to the ice machine, yeah, when I went to the front desk, I was directed all the way to the other end of the hotel on the upper level. Mind you, we couldn't just stay on the 2nd level and go through the swipe doors to the ice machine when we wanted more ice later. No, had to go downstairs to the only working swipe door and then travel to the other end of the hotel for ice.
The room opened onto a courtyard, or should have. When I tried to open the door to the courtyard, the handle on the other side of the door fell off. I couldn't open it and just locked it. It was pretty funny that when I went to check-out at the front desk, the sign on the counter said that the doors to the courtyard were emergency exits. Ha, ha, I guess we were screwed in an emergency.
Next when we pulled back the sheets, the blanket was so rough and scratchy that we tried the other bed. Well the other blanket was better but it had a large shoe polish stain on it (see pic). The sheets were VERY cheap quality and didn't fit the bed so we ended up on the mattress after rolling over once or twice.
The wheel fell off the chair when I tried rolling it away from the desk. The drawers in the cabinet under the lamp just fell out of their openings, no attempt to even put the drawer on rollers.
The mattress base was falling apart and the mattress wouldn't align with the base. We wouldn't have noticed the rips in the base if the bedding had fit better.
The heat lamp in the bathroom had no cover, didn't bother to check and see if it worked.
The air conditioner did work, small but it worked. The shower had hot water and good pressure.
The toilet paper had brown water stains like the last person spilled coffee on it.
There was an automatic block on our phone even though I had paid with a credit card. When I called the front desk the clerk said that there was a $20 deposit required. We used the cell phone to call for pizza.
The most horrifying part of the whole stay is that the front window next to the door had a window blind (see pic) that was too small for the window. I personally like to relax and walk around au naturale, but I couldn't do that here.
OK, so the pictures weren't screwed down to the walls and they had water stains, I wouldn't have noticed if the room was nicer. I might not have noticed that the whole hotel appeared to have been rewired on the outside, I have never seen anything like it (see pic). Should I go on, I have more!!!!!
Overall, this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in for $77.10 (after tax). I've stayed in little mom & pop stops (also in Sept 2007) for $45 and that included pets.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank makorokoto
Reviewed November 9, 2004

This hotel is in desperate need of a major renovation. I've stayed in several Comfort Inn/Suites (They are my first choice) and as far as I'm concerned this location does not meet their standards. The only good thing was that the clerks were very nice and helpful and the continental breakfast was okay. I had to change rooms from non-smoking to smoking because I could not regulate the air conditioner. Had to turn it on and off all night long. Then I had to buy an air freshner for the smoking room. Carpet in serious need of repair, bathrooms in need of repair - no thanks! Next time, I'll pass.

3  Thank sjogregory
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2004

This Comfort Inn location is generally a decent hotel, but is in desperate need of a renovation/remodeling. My family and I have used this hotel since the mid 1980's, and it's obvious that it has not been well-maintained over the years. It needs new carpet, better pool maintenance, and the bathrooms could be cleaner. Some of these problems are probably due to the fact that it is an independently owned hotel. I've always received good service at Comfort Inn, but until improvements are made, I, along with most of my other relatives, will start lodging at the new Holiday Inn in Opelousas.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Shreveport, LA
Reviewed September 9, 2003

This hotel is very dirty and unsafe. Parking lot lights do not come on until 9:00 PM. Bathrooms dirty, one worn towel, no hand towels or wash cloths. Toilet is dirty and stained. The toilet lid and seat was worn and cracked. The whole bathroom was in need of repair. The bed is the worst. Bed spread was stained inside and out with food, vomit or what ever else had never been cleaned. You would be better off sleeping in the car.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2003

This must be a practice Mike Patel is accustomed to getting away with.
We had a family reunion in July 2000. We had reservations, a confirmation #, and had held the room with a credit card. Upon arrival, we were told that there were no rooms left. What we later learned is that there was another family reunion in town and that Mike Patel began giving away rooms to people 1st come 1st serve, regardless of credit cards or confirmations. He refused to help us in any way and we too were left in Opelousas with no rooms. We attempted to contact Comfot Inn's corporate office but were told that he is an independent owner and they could provide no assistance in the matter. We ended up staying in Lafayette, over 30 miles away. Needless to say, I would never attempt to stay there again nor would I recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2000
3  Thank DallasNurse71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelousas
Days Inn & Suites Opelousas
#1 of 8 in Opelousas
Comfort Inn Opelousas
Comfort Inn Opelousas
#7 of 8 in Opelousas

Been to Regency Inn & Suites Opelousas? Share your experiences!