“Cute Rooms But....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grapevine, Texas
“Cute Rooms But....”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was driving from south Florida to Dallas and after a long, long drive, my husband reserved a room at this Ascend Collection hotel, through our Choice Hotels program, because it was supposed to be really nice, and pet-friendly. It was an hour out of my way, but I said okay since I had never stayed at an Ascend Collection Hotel. I didn't know this hotel was connected to a casino and race track, since my husband booked it while I was driving.
Pros
I had a room with a King bed. The room was a nice size with round table and chairs, desk, sofa, bar area. It had a comfortable bed and pillows with black/white checkered floors and bedding with red accents, new carpet and the furniture looked clean. There were a couple of small bottles of water in the refrigerator and some microwave popcorn. The towels were huge, soft and white. It has an indoor pool and hot tub and the some kids there were having fun. It was extremely quiet considering there was a casino next door. The morning desk staff were very helpful, nice, and congenial, as were the breakfast ladies.
Cons
The bathroom was small compared to the room, but had a big vanity with mirror too far away to be useful. I would suggest a magnification mirror for shaving or putting on makeup. The coffeemaker contraption; is a waste of coffee and water. I never found any ice machine on the 3rd floor and is not feasible to take children/puppies up and down the different floors trying to find some ice. You had to use the block out shades and you couldn't open the curtains because the blinking lights were so annoying. I had my two puppies with me and I went an hour out of my way to stay there. My husband called the hotel and explained that I was arriving late and requested a 1st floor room, if possible. We were put on the 3rd floor, at the very end, by the elevator and vending machines. So I had to wrestle with them up and down the elevator numerous times. With a pet charge of $50 on top of the regular room charge, it was too much for nothing extra! We didn't see, nor were we told of any safe pet walking, or play area, like other pet-friendly Choice Hotels! Not even a dog treat! Instead I had to walk in the parking lot late at night trying to find a place to walk them safely. I didn't get an opportunity to visit the casino or track because it was late, and I left very early at 630am, but it wasn't worth the extra hour out of my way to get there.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 335, the blinking lights will make you crazy. Don't stay next to the door...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thanks you for your feedback it is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was actually here on business but this place looks great for hanging out with friends and having some fun at the casino and watching the horses !
I was there on a wednesday night so there wasnt much action but I bet the weekend gets pretty good !

Room Tip: Just be sure to stay on the end rooms, this is a casino, people are awake at random hours and you mi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our Trip Advisor survey with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing that is particularly "bad" about this hotel. Other than its connections to the race track & casino, however, it's just a mid-range lodging establishment. That being the case, the prices are really too high for what you get. This was the first time I had stayed at a hotel connected to a casino. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised how relatively quiet it was. The rooms are ample sized and generally comfortable...furnishings tend towards the cheap end of the spectrum. The lounge chair in my room should be scrapped, as it was hard as a board & didn't fully recline. On future visits to the area, I would probably stay at a more main stream hotel off the Interstate & drive the short distance to the track.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations in regards to the value. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Overall rating is very good vs excellent only because of price. However, the rooms were exactly as pictured, large, beautiful décor, nice bar height counter for coffee maker and your ice for making cocktails. The shower/bathroom was sparkling. The biggest and whitest towels I've seen for awhile, too. Granite counters and open shelving. TV was huge, nice micro, frig, and quiet air conditioning. Carpeting throughout the hotel was clean. I don't know if I cared for the inside pool with a looking glass from the lobby area. Seemed fishbowl. The hotel had its own entrance to the casino floor and you had to swipe your room card to re-enter for safety. They had business room and work out room. Breakfast area large, but we did not visit during breakfast on our stay. I loved having inside access to casino and live horse track which was also nice area. Hope this helps in your decision to stay here. The $100+ buck price tag is hard for me to swallow but it was very well kept and convienent.

Room Tip: I'd pick an upper floor opposite the casino side for extra quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I would like to thank you for your recent visit to Evangeline Downs Hotel. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
I hope that the accommodations and service were to your liking, as complete satisfaction is our goal at Evangeline Downs Hotel.
We hope that you share your experience with friends and family in hopes that they will endure the taste of southern hospitality Opelousas has to offer.
We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Sincerely

Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was surprised that this hotel passed the BCC (Big, Clean, and Cold rooms). There was ample space in the room, with a small microwave and a mini-fridge. The coffee/tea service area was larger than most I've seen lately.

The bathrooms had large showers, but no bathtub. That was okay with me, because I never bathe in a hotel bathroom anyhow. There were plenty of towels and even had a couple of bath sheets.

The hotel is attached to the entrance of the casino/racetrack by just a short walk from the front desk. The hotel public area is completely smoke free. The staff was pleasant and accommodating.

Free breakfast in the morning was your standard hot scrambled eggs and bacon. Make your own waffles and then your breads and pastries, cereal, coffee, etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment here @ tripadviser regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My mom got us a room there this past Saturday when we came in to go to a family wedding. The room she go was great. It was a smoking room which we were not so happy about. It was all they had left. The person my mom made the reservation with told her that she there was something they do to the room that takes the smoke smell out. She was right. It did not smell like smoke at all. The room and the hallway smelled great. The room was beautiful and the staff was so nice. Everyone we came into contact with, was so pleasant. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get away for a night or weekend. There is also the horse races and the casino. The food is good too. There was also a breakfast the next morning that was hot and delicious. Oh I forgot, the bed was so comfortable. It was like sleeping on a cloud and the ac was so cold. It was perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave comments. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. I'm so ecstatic to hear that my staff took good care of you and your family!!

Elkhart
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here because of the casino and it look like a nice hotel. Stayed in a room with 2 beds. They look just as the pictures. The room was very clean and the beds comfortable. The breakfast area opened early and we were happy. The person that was working in that area was very nice and helpful. Planning another trip to the area. Will try another hotel because of the price.

Room Tip: The casino is just ok. I have been to better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on our service. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Evangeline Downs Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelousas
Holiday Inn Opelousas
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Breaux Bridge
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#22 of 50 in Lafayette

Been to Evangeline Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!