“Nothing to write home about!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Satterfield's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 17 Restaurants in New Roads
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Nothing to write home about!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my 1st visit but 4 others in our party of 8 had eaten here before. If you park on the street which is very hard to do you walk in on the restaurant level, if not you walk up 2 flights of stairs. The entire back of the restaurant is glass and you have a wonderful view of False River. There is a Landing Lounge on the bottom floor. We were seated but no one rushed over to take our drink order, we were given the chance to look at the entire menu before our drink order was taken. The waitress didn’t even welcome us or provide any small talk when she approached our table. As our party consisted of 8 we all sat at the same table and our checks were separated by 2 each, but by us sitting at the same table even though the waitress would have done the same job, they add the gratuity to each bill (to assure they get a tip, not that any of us would not have not given a fair share of a tip but by the restaurant doing this, the waitress was cheated out of more of a tip than she got from the entire table!) 2 ordered the shrimp salad which the greens looked fresh and the shrimp were beautifully grilled. 1 ordered a shrimp Po-boy, nothing to write home about, 1 ordered fried oysters which was fried hard and when I say this the batter was dark and hard crispy, 2 ordered catfish and oysters which were also fried hard, 1 ordered and 2 ordered the lunch special NY strip requesting one to be medium and the other raw of which both were overcooked, but I can say that the flavor was delish! The stuffed potato was good as well as the melody of vegetables. Only one of us received a drink refill, what a way to save money Satterfield’s. I can only wonder what type of service and food awaits you if the restaurant was busy! The Manager needs to step up and interact…..

Overall a nice historic building built in 1917 the “Satterfield Motors” with overpriced lunch menu and so-so food. I wouldn’t give it a second chance!

I wish I would have gone to Nanny's LunchBox for lunch today!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kitty K

Natchez, Louisiana
“Waste of good real estate.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I've been here several times over the years and its gotten progressively worse. The last time I could not even eat my meal. The view of False River is awesome. Service is sub par.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Great views - Poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We had been driving all day through Mississippi and Loisiana with not even a gas station to be found! We really just wanted a restful watering hole and we finally ran into Satterfields just in time to see the sunset on the Mississippi River.

We walked in downstairs to a bartender that was sitting down slouched over the bar, not even saying hello. We felt like we were intruding. I would have love to see her attitude if we actually asked her for a drink, but she at least nodded yes to us when we asked if we could sit upstairs on the balcony.

We went upstairs and we think we were finally greeted by the owner...everyone was too busy standing around to acknowledge our presence. He led us outside where Kayla took care of us. Kayla was pleasant, but didn't even know what draught beer was - she asked "is that what they call 'on-tap'"? And she was happy when we said, just bring us two bud lights.

One of the managers came out to fix the stuck door to get back in to the restaurant from the balcony just as a family was getting up after eating to leave. The manger actually went inside and shut the door instead of holding it open for this family standing right there....I was appalled!!! Another waitress, instead of picking up some food that dropped on the deck flooring, actually kicked it off the balcony....appalled again.

I cannot really comment on the food because we didn't eat, but it was a little pricy and the menu actually gave instructions to the bartenders on how to ring up food. It was funny to read the menu telling bartenders to enter poboy orders as an "open food item" -

This place is a GEM!!! It's beautiful and could be a million dollar business with some customer service training and proper management.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Southern U.S.
“Failed My Expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Sometimes I guess you just have an experience dining where all the elements come together to make it disappointing. I did today at Satterfield's.

A popular eatery down the street was closed on Monday so I tried this restaurant, well known for years on False River.

Too many elements of a good meal failed to happen: Service was slow and for a while I was the only diner there and never was there more than four others, fried shrimp were excellent, fried catfish strips were crisp on the outside and soggy on the inside so much so if you picked up a piece of fish, the weight of the soggy inside would break the piece off, there were luncheon special but no one told me, bill was 50 cents more for the entree than the menu-- too small an amount to really quibble about but there is a principal you expect at a restaurant; another 50 cents charge for the "loaded" baked potato but no one told you and it wasn't evident on the menu, odd to serve whole wheat bread with fried fish and shrimp, never refilled my water or even asked. My simple lunch had a total bill of $19 plus change.

Some would probably say my comments were too nitpicky . . . but you expect a certain level of professionalism and quality in a dining experience. Maybe these comments will assist in the restaurant "fixing" the problems and return to what once was an esteemed dining establishment on False River.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New Orleans
“Great view and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We drove over from St. Francisville to eat. The view overlooking the water is awesome. The staff is friendly and the food is good. We go back everything we are in the area.

Visited October 2012