“Relaxing Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Iberia
Cottages at the Rip Van Winkle Gardens
Ranked #1 of 5 New Iberia B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My daughter and I stayed for four nights to just relax and get away. We stayed in the servants quarters #2. The grounds are beautiful and as a guest you have access to them any time while you are a guest. While the rooms might need a little updating, they were very, very clean and the staff goes out of their way to be helpful. This was our second stay and we really can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Get there before dark just so you can see the grounds.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Rip Van Winkle Gardens was everything we hoped- a beautiful, peaceful retreat away from the hustle bustle. You drive a mile or so down a country road off LA 14, between rows of oaks and past a pond, then through the iron gates to the Jefferson Estate. We stayed in the servants' quarters which were converted into 2 comfortable cabins, appointed with a big 4 poster bed that my wife said reminded her of her grandmother's house. It was very comfortable. It's true that the kitchen is stocked only with snacks, but that's all we expected. The grounds are beautiful- little ponds here and there, southern live oak, magnolia, yellow pine. Someone in town told us we were just a bit early for the tulips and azaleas to be in bloom. And it's all set on the edge of Lake Peigneur, which is not big but quite pretty. Stunning peacocks roam the grounds and are quite familiar with people- they walk right up on the deck to see what you're doing (undoubtedly hoping for goodies!). There is also a Balinese gate guarded by 4 statues of Balinese deities- very impressive. There is a Buddha as well which was a little odd since Bali is Hindu? I am no expert but these are supposedly authentic Balinese statuary brought over by the original owners in the 1800s. The history of the place is fascinating, and there is a tour you can take to learn about it.
The drive into New Iberia is an easy 15 minutes- we had dinner in town each evening and then nightcaps on the deck of our cottage, enjoying the southern breeze and fragrant air. Our last morning we had a delicious brunch in the on-site Jefferson Café- open from 11-2 daily.

Room Tip: There are only 2 options- the servants' quarters which are 2 cottages sharing a common deck, whi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2013

For a B & Breakfast that costs almost 200.00 I expect more than frosted flakes or frozen bagels. The toaster oven was inoperable. The incredibly small and boring bit of cheese was vacuum packed and no sharp utensils were provided for opening said item. The cheap bottle of wine did not suit either.

The bed was fine and the place was clean. But the bathroom with its plastic molded trailer style tub ....yea.

The grounds were very pretty and they were doing a good bit of
work. The peacocks were nice.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Lorna C
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I spent 1 night here during a whirlwind trip before heading to NOLA. We stayed in the Cook's cottage .. which was fine. As pointed out by others, it could use some upgrades but all in all enjoyed more than a chain hotel or smaller B&B. Stocked fridge was nice. We enjoyed some wine with cheese and crackers outside. The grounds are spectacular! We arrived late in the afternoon .. and as noted by other guests .. lacked any sort of greeting or welcome .. but had a fun evening wandering the grounds. Would like to have toured the house. It is a trek from town or anywhere, so if arriving late and don't want to go out again and want more than cheese and crackers and popcorn for dinner .. pick something up on your way in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank va_visits
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Unfortunately, we arrived after dark and had no real directions on the location of our cottage(Cook's). We did finally wander around in the dark and found it. We immediately called for immediate pizza delivery (as other guests had said they had done) as it is a long, dark hike into town. Unfortunately they no longer deliver pizza that far out, so we made due with the provided snacks + what we had available. The living room and bedroom were well appointed and there was a nice partial partition between one room and the other. Unfortunately, we had a hard time finding a clean glass or plate - so we washed all of them in the bathroom sink using the dish detergent provided. A couple of the lights were out in the bathroom, so we had a bit of a time making sure everything got clean. When we finally settled down, drank the complimentary Chardonnay, the cheese, crackers and cookies - we were feeling much better. We did put the peacock protector on our truck - and were happy that it was large enough to fit. We had a great night's sleep, woke up the next morning and made our bagels in the provided toaster/broiler (that was also not very clean). The food provided for breakfast was great and the Mello Joy Coffee provided was also very good (we even bought a pound of it in the gift shop). It was a wonderful morning, so we ate our breakfast outside on the table provided in the garden area under the large oak trees, surrounded by palms. After breakfast, we visited the gift shop and toured the gardens - quite the nice place. We were in a hurry so we were unable to take the Jefferson House tour - no problem. By the time we were finished, we stopped by Cafe Jefferson - it was packed. Everyone looked happy enjoying their food, but alas, we had to take off for our Tabasco tour and get to New Orleans before dark. It was a very nice stay & the place is nice - but I agree with other reviewers - it would have been nice to talk with someone upon arrival & to have had better maintenance on the cottage & dishes.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a good map of the premises if you arrive after dark
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This property is seriously gorgeous. It's owned by a landscape architect, and he definitely knows his stuff. As other reviewers have noted, when you stay in one of the B&B suites, you have complete access to the beautiful grounds. Peacocks wander around, breeze blows through the oak trees, and a friendly cat showed up on our porch in the morning (cat-lover here, so this was purr-fect for me). We stayed 2 nights in the Servant's Cottage #2; our room was refreshed the 2nd day, with new towels in the bathroom and snacks replenished. There isn't really anyone to "check" you in; you just show up and the key is in the suite, and you leave the door unlocked when you leave. This makes things very private and peaceful. Cafe Jefferson is on the grounds and open for lunch, and was delicious with a gorgeous view of Lake Peigneur. As wonderful as this place is, I feel like there's a bit of a missed opportunity here. it's time to give the B&B suites a little love. I know it's a very old property, but being from New Orleans, I'm used to old houses. I know an old house can be faithfully updated and spotlessly clean. It's not as spic-and-span clean as it could be (rust and grime in the bathroom); it needs new fixtures (especially the bathroom), some paint touch-ups inside, and the draperies need serious, serious updating. It wouldn't take much to make the place really dazzling. Maybe I'm just not used to the level of cleanliness of a bed-and-breakfast; it was my first stay in one. I just prefer overnight accommodations to feel really clean, and this didn't quite get there. It wasn't terrible; in fact it was a lovely stay. I just feel like with a little attention, it could be TOTALLY PERFECT. I told my husband I wanted to go buy new drapes and some touch-up paint and just do it myself (ha). On the definite plus-side, I didn't see one giant roach the whole time. I need to find out how they manage this with all those oak trees so I can do it at home in New Orleans! It truly is a special place, and I wish we could have stayed longer. I really hope the owners take this advice to heart and update things soon, and then I will hurry back for a whole week's stay next time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MelanieKE2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a great stopover for Mobile to Houston trip. Stayed 2 nights so we could be sure to enjoy the gardens. Quiet and private. Had the whole place to ourselves one night! Enjoyed our morning coffee on porch with dozens of hummingbirds covering the bottlebrush trees. Peacocks were beautiful too. Learned a lot during the visit about Joseph Jefferson, the salt dome and surrounding geology. Sunset was great. Lunch at Cafe Jefferson excellent. Actually ordered some extra "to-go" so we could stay on the property one night and enjoy the peace & quiet.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality Suites
Quality Suites
#7 of 12 in New Iberia
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Iberia

Been to Cottages at the Rip Van Winkle Gardens? Share your experiences!