“Very disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Natchitoches
Judge Porter House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 23 Natchitoches B&B and Inns
Hawkins, Texas
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Sadly, I have never stayed at the Judge Porter House, and now I will not stay there in the future. I purchased a $300 gift certificate in 2011 and made reservations to stay there in March 2012. My mother ended up in the hospital, I had to cancel, and I was told they would allow me to use the gift for a future stay. No time limits were given to me. Within the next six months both of my parents passed, so no traveling for me. When I called to make a reservation today and explained the situation, I was given a lecture about gift certificate extensions. It was like I was a crook asking for a free room! No welcome mat here at all. I was eventually told reluctantly that would honor the gift certificate, but I do not go where I am not wanted. They have my $300, but I will spend the rest of my travel budget elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Donna H
Natchitochesbandb, Guest Relations Manager at Judge Porter House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Please allow me to extend my deepest apologies for your great personal loss. I am very sorry if you truly thought we made you feel the way you express in your review, and for every inconvenience caused by this unfortunate misunderstanding. However; I find it so dispiriting when I see how easily it is for someone who was given every special consideration possible to insure they in fact would be our guests to celebrate the weekend getaway intended as an anniversary celebration… to then provide a misleading explanation which will always be available for anyone in the future to see why you feel; even though we were gracious enough to allow a gift certificate issued in May 2011 set to expire in May 2012… be used towards a future stay when we were contacted a year after the original expiration date in May 2013, even though we had already extended it 6 months to December 2012 when their March 2012 reservation was cancelled… we made you feel unwelcome. We pride ourselves on always placing the needs and comfort of every guest ahead of even our own... this is our celebration of “Southern Hospitality” at its finest, and in the best interest of the Inn. We feel without our guests; there is no reason for us… so we are deeply saddened when a potential guest whose expectations I am confident were not only met, but should have been clearly exceeded… chooses to not explain how our decision to extend the gift certificate in the hopes of having them as our guests in the future… was just one of the very many ways they were treated with not only an accommodating concern towards their future stay… but also always with a warm welcome. We are still hopeful to have the opportunity of one day having you as our guests, and will still do our very best to help you make that anniversary special occasion even more special.
I realize people have the capability of experiencing things differently; even though they might see and hear exactly the same thing as one another… for that reason, please know our reviews collectively are a far better representation of our business and the level of service we provide to our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New Orleans
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Have stayed here many times on my travels to Natchitoches. I usually stay in the Guest Cottage which is a seperate structure from the main house. It is very comfortable and private. The main house is exquisitely furnished in period antiques and full tester beds while the Guest Cottage is less formal. The staff is very attentive as the rooms are immaculate. The breakfast served in the dining room of the main house was very good as was the presentation. I would highly recommend a stay at the Judge Porter House when traveling to Natchitoches.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Louisiana
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here a few nights ago. What a wonderfully relaxing decadent way to spend time in a charming community! My room was beautifully appointed with luxurious linens. Bathroom had large jacuzzi tub too! I like that i had my own coffee maker in the room. JPH is close to front street (a couple of blocks walk). You must visit the hardware/general store on front street. An interesting assortment of items for the home, including repair items, cookware, home decor ... Good restaurant options as well. Mamas Oyster House had great fried catfish...

But the best thing about this b & b is the breakfast! The Eggs Bernaise was out of this world... I'm looking forward to my next stay. I'll probably try another of this proprietors properties. Natchitoches is an interesting place to visit. Melrose Plantation has a great collection of Clementine Hunter's paintings. Definitely worth a trip!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed in the garden room. It has a very nice and large bathroom. The bathroom has a large jacuzzi with room for two. This was great after the drive to get there. Also, felt good after our massages.The bedroom is pretty with a fireplace, windows and an antique bed. I slept well on the bed both nights. The bedroom is a bit small, but there are a few chairs to sit in, a small table and a small desk. It has its own entry way and a private porch. This room is just off the kitchen so I was concerned about hearing the breakfast preparations in the morning. I heard a little but not enough to bother me. This B&B is very close to front street, and had the weather been better we probably would have walked back and forth. The breakfast is amazing. The parking is easy to access.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We normally go for Festival of Lights and this year we decided to try our first Bed and Breakfast. The Judge Porter house was a great stay for us. We stayed in the "Garden Room" because I tend to be a very private person. It was so quiet in the back of the house. We loved the private entry. Beautiful four post bed and very nice jacuzzi bath. The room walk space was a little tight, but still very cozy. Really a nice room for sleeping but not much lounge space....if you are wanting more elbow room try a king size suite or the guest cottage. I had read the reviews about the frat house across the street so I opted for the Garden Room and I'm glad I did. Other guests over breakfast testified about the "frat house" noise, but we didn't hear a thing on the back wing of the house. The JP house has antique charm throughout and a wonderful hot breakfast. The TOWELS WERE SOOO SOFT!!!!! We would leave for a few hours and come back to find our room had fresh sheets and towels. Very clean throughout the home. My only reservation was the pathway to the garden room was overtaken by landscape . It would need to be pruned well for guest to walk through without getting swatted in the face/eye. Other than that...it's a great choice in Natchitouches. Very close to downtown.

Room Tip: Garden Room is quiet with private entry
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shreveport
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have stayed here many times and I am never disappointed. Usually go with my girlfriends. We stay in the Princess and the Orleans rooms. This is especially nice since these rooms share a sitting room. Plenty of space to sit and visit. Location is great, you can easily walk to shopping on Front Street.

• Stayed October 2012
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Judge Porter House B&B before.....but this last week-end we stayed in their "guest house" which was the garage turned into cute little cottage.
We loved it!! It has a great living room with gas fireplace, a full kitchen, winding staircase that goes up to the loft bedroom. You have your own deck outside the living room with a wonderful view of the beautifully landscaped backyard and gardens. The azaleas were in full bloom and just breathtaking!! Don't let the Fraternity across the street scare you away. They are a pretty quiet bunch of guys.....even on a Friday and Saturday night. You still have the big breakfast every morning in the big house with the other guests and it is "not to be missed". This guest house is probably mine and my husbands most favorite place to stay in Natchitoches, LA from now on. He would say that the best part is that it has a great air conditioner that actually made him cold (and that doesn't ever happen), so we started the fireplace, LOL. Great ambiance. I would definitely recommend this place.. I

Room Tip: Just request the "guest house"
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple