“So much closed on Sunday...”

Historic District Shopping
Norman, Oklahoma
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“So much closed on Sunday...”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We were passing through Louisiana and had planned to spend a few hours and some of our money here, but too many places were closed. I would have thought that a tourist destination would have more open, especially the Visitor Center.
Would love to see more stores with local items, a nice casual dining spot that isn't a bar, and more of interest to those who aren't clothes shopping.

TEXAS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Nice way to spend some hours in one day”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Went to Natchitoches on our anniversary for an overnight stay. Never been before so planned our trip using tripadvisor. The historic district is the thing to do there and can be accomplished in half a day of walking around the shops. Mix match of antique stores, kitchen stores, trendy clothes mainly for women, a little historical stuff, etc. Most of the businesses were friendly, especially the lady who runs the kitchen store, one of my favorite shops mainly due to her hospitality. The general store was okay but a little higher on prices basically due to the tourist nature of it, but its neat to see and if you need something they may actually have it. The reviewer about the bathrooms was dead one and there is only ONE public bathroom at the very end of the street, so if you have to GO...its a long way from one end to the other. Now...a little secret if you dont ruin it...the kitchen shop lady is very kind and allows the public to use hers...just keep it clean please. I bought something from this store almost exclusively because of that. The rest were not. You can do this area in a few hours so dont plan days around it.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank cthtexas
Louisiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome town”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We love it in Natchitoches, most everyone you meet are very kind, great hospitality, the scenery is awesome all around Front Street, clean everywhere you go, we enjoyed the Fourth of July fireworks display this year, was better than any of the Christmas lights/fireworks we have gone to.

Visited July 2014
Minden, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Restroom Problem!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The shops are OK, but at 8 months pregnant, I didn't get to look for long, because I was going to have to trek a few blocks to the public restroom at the other end of the street, because all of the shops have signs posted that say no public restrooms. I have a policy of not spending money in a place that won't allow me the courtesy of using the restroom. We had to leave the area, because I would not have been able to drag my pregnant self all the way down there without possibly peeing myself!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Erin S
Dallas, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Too Many Women's Dress Shops”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Coming from Dallas I am use to fabulous shopping. The Historic District Shopping in Natchitoches, in my opinion, has too many dress shops that are too much the same. Once you have seen one, pretty much you have seen them all. I would suggest more variety: a bookstore with books about Louisiana and books by Louisiana authors; an arts and craft shop, selling arts and crafts from all over the state; a tea house, serving homemade soups and sandwiches along with homemade desserts; and a cultural center with more audiovisual history of the area and the ancestors who still live in the area, along with art, music, etc., from Northwestern Louisiana University and the state magnet school in the area.

Visited June 2014