“Romance On the Lake”
Review of Mariner's

Mariner's
Ranked #5 of 66 Restaurants in Natchitoches
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This restaurant is a great place to take you lady for a classy night out with great food and service - one of the best salad bars you will find in any region - specializes in steaks and seafood dishes that have been consistently good over the years!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I have dined at this restaurant for the past 25 years, driving from Shreveport to Natchitoches for date nights and special occasions. It used to be my favorite place to go; the food and service were just excellent and the view of the water was beautiful. It was a special meal. The last three times I have been to Mariner's, it has just not been the same. From being greeted at the front door, to the service, to the food, it just is not up to the same standard it used to be. Our last visit was the day after Valentine's and we traveled with another couple to eat. Our server, while sweet, would have been a much better IHOP or Denny's server. She failed to go over the specials, went straight to getting drink orders, was very unkept, and just did not give a "fine" dining experience at all, she simply took the order and delivered the food.

My husband and I ordered the soup of the day (shrimp and corn bisque) and tilapia with crab meat topping and hollandaise sauce. He had the stuffed potato and I had the baked potato. First, the soup - was ok, but the shrimp were frozen and it just lacked much flavor. The meal was served and while the fish itself was nice and hot, everything else (the sauce and shrimp) were not. If there was any crab on the fish, I couldn't find it. The shrimp were not fresh, but frozen and varied between rock hard and chewy to just chewy. My potato was cold and hard, I sent it back, only to get another cold and hard potato (the butter wouldn't even melt). We also ordered desert, which was also stale. No bread was brought to our table.

It didn't seem to be that busy in the restaurant, I just don't understand why this meal was so poor. They seem to be cutting corners and it really shows in the quality of the food. Our meal was close to $100.00 - each entree was $28.00 - for that kind of money on a meal, I would expect it to be fresh and plentiful. Sadly disappointed not only with this trip, but the last few we have made there.

2  Thank StephMc_12
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

The Mariner Restaurant may have a beautiful view but the food leaves a whole lot to be desired. Our appetizer of mini meat pies were ok, but I'm pretty sure they came out of a box - definitely not the real deal. The salad bar had lots of choices that seemed overly warm. The worst part of my meal was the Crab and Shrimp Oscar. When I bit into it, I literally crunched down on a bite of slushy ice. The entree was partially frozen. The seafood stuffing was mushy and the hollandaise was not fresh. That being said, the service was wonderful, and I hate writing a bad review! Honestly though - I will not be back.

3  Thank eva25
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Mariners is the fanciest restaurant in the area. it is on Lake Sibley and has a nice outside dining area. the prices are on the higfh side, but a trip to trhe salad bar is included.

1  Thank redsticktraveler
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I like good restaurants but my fried shrimp dinner was a shrimp basket that I can get at any seafood fast food restaurant and 3 times the price. I got a basket with FF and 5 shrimp for $17. I don't mind paying for a good meal but this just did not come close to good food.