“A Trip Back In Time!”

Madewood Plantation
More attraction details
Owner description: You can tour this antebellum plantation and its beautiful grounds, or stay overnight.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

As a great great great grandaughter of Thomas Pugh, it was a uniquely special and humbling experience for me and my two adult children to spend a night at Madewood last week. Words fail me in trying to describe what it was like to walk where my ancestors walked and to reflect on what life must have been like for them. Awe-inspiring at the very least!! Kudos to the Marshall's for caring enough about the past to preserve it for people like me and mine. Special kudos to our very gracious hostess, Angie, for making our visit such a delightful and memorable one. We will be back, but in the interim, I would love her recipe for green beans. They were DELICIOUS!!!!

2  Thank Helen D
in 7 reviews
"filming"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed June 27, 2013

When we planned our first vacation trip south of Natchez, Mississippi, we wanted to see the Old South as it really was, including the Plantation Road along the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. And we wanted to stay in an antebellum mansion. Madewood was a wonderful choice. Located near Napoleonville and south of Donaldsonville on the Bayou Lafourche, Madewood is a trip back in time...no telephones, no radio, no television, no movies, no Internet access. The manager, Angie Johnson, and the groundskeeper, Warren Freeman, cater to your every need. Angie also cooks. She prepares wonderful southern breakfasts and dinners. We enjoyed omelets and buttermilk pancakes and crawfish in a pastry puff. Angie has been employed at Madewood for the last nine years. Warren, 67, said he has worked at Madewood "ever since I began working--except for a time in the Army." Warren keeps the grounds in immaculate shape. The family cemetery is worth a stop. On one of our three days at Madewood, we met author Jennifer Hale. Madewood was especially convenient for branching out and visiting other plantations on the River Road.

2  Thank Taylor B
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We just stayed at Madewood Plantation for one night and loved it completely. It's not often that you can stay in the "big house" when you are at a plantation B & B, and this is one of the best. Angie and the rest of the staff enhanced our stay and made us feel completely comfortable. If you love old homes and antiques, this is for you. We stayed in the Nursery Room and it was beautiful in every way. The dinner and breakfast were both great -- I recommend it highly.

2  Thank laurel t
Reviewed April 2, 2013

From the time I arrived...back door open so I went snooping...until I left two wonderful nights later, this was a great vacation. The house is old (so ENJOY that) but very, very beautiful. I could have spent both days doing nothing but looking at the various antiques. Angie was a dream from reservations to arrival to dinner to breakfast! Keith and I had a wonderful evening chatting about all things political over brandy...where else can you get that? If you have a little time and an inclination to live a few days the way we used to live, Madewood Plantation is the place.

2  Thank Bill L
See more reviews
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Nice plantation home to visit if you are taking a bayou plantation tour. Madewood is not as fancy as some of the river plantations, but it is representative of the style. Make Madewood part of a bayou tour down historic Bayou Lafourche which starts at Donaldsonville where it comes off the Mississippi River all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. It is a unique cultural experience and you will have some of the freshest seafood and most delicious food ever along the way.