“Missing Madewood” 5 of 5 bubbles

Madewood Plantation House
Dallas, Texas
“Missing Madewood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I might be back home in Dallas, but I left my heart at Madewood. I've been places and I've seen things, yet no vacation or hotel has ever compared to the gracious way of life that was so excellently and elegantly presented to me by the staff and proprietor of Madewood Plantation--not even the Hotel de Crillon in Paris. An air of refinement blankets the property with an unpretentious grace that is the very epitome of Southern hospitality. Genteel evenings of silver and candlelit crystal await my return with the slow and steady assurance that only a grande dame of Bayou Lafourche can guarantee, for life at Madewood has slowed to the pace of an eloquently spoken Southern drawl. She'll be there basking in her glory--such as she has done for the past 164 years--when I return to Dixie and reclaim my heart.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michael A

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a Valentine's weekend at Madewood. The experience was beyond anything that I could imagine at this type of venue. Kieth Marshall was the consummate host. Every detail was taken care of. The staff was superb. The meals were excellent. A very enjoyable weekend. I would highly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in local history and enjoys weekend trips.

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality. Inform the staff of what you are looking for and they will be gl...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lapizz54
Cambridge MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Just as the fragrance of sweet olive is a hallmark of the old South, so is the Madewood Plantation. Even with all the planning & research, I could not have imagined what a truly wonderful experience our time at Madewood was. The plantation house itself is stunning & the staff incredibly thoughtful & sincere. It was one of my few travel experiences in which I truly felt as a "guest" in every good sense of that word. From the welcoming cocktail party, to the coffee delivered to your room prior to breakfast to help you wake up & prepare for the day, Madewood was a truly one of a kind experience. As other reviewers have said, the food was wonderful & the cook was kind enough to share her recipes for our favorite things when we asked. If you're rating of a hotel involves the size of the flat screen tv or the bathroom, Madewood may not be the perfect spot for you but if you enjoy beautiful places, history & good conversation, Madewood may be a perfect fit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cote_a_cote
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

We enjoyed a very special night at Madewood during our travels from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. It is conveniently located between the two, but the area you drive through to get to this amazingly beautiful home is a little run down and shoddy. However, once we arrived at Madewood all of that was forgotten as she did not fail to impress us. There is very little pretentious about this house- she is what she is. And what she is is a very beautiful, comfortable place full of lovely antiques, giving a very real feel of what it may have been like to have lived in her during her heyday. The staff were welcoming and helpful, but never intrusive. The guests are free to do self guided tours about the house and property- allowing one to feel very much like a guest in a family home rather than a B&B. The meals were delicious, served with a very friendly and family like charm that was exactly what we had hoped for on our visit. If you are looking for the formality of an exclusive hotel, you will not find it here. This is the Southern hospitality we were looking for- warm, charming, unpretentious and inviting. The rooms were well appointed with very comfortable beds. Coffee was served in the bedrooms half an hour before we went down stairs for breakfast- a full and filling Southern delight. The bathrooms in our bedrooms were small but adequate. Other rooms had larger bathrooms and these would be very satisfactory. This is a B&B and not a hotel. The food is delicious family style food. The rooms are beautifully comfortable family style places and the staff are friendly and helpful. If you want a more realistic experience of what plantation living may have been like, Madewood is the place for you! Just a quick note related to any concerns about ghosts and such- The sheer scale of the house and the quiet location did lend a little bit of an eerie feeling when we first arrived- having arrived after dark and being the only guests in the house for the night. This feeling quickly dissipated once we had a chance to look around and get comfortable. There was definitely no creepy feelings during the night- she is a wonderfully welcoming place and free of any unpleasant auras. We loved her!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room inside the main house- walking up and down the lovely staircase is a wonderful experi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank howdeppisyourlove
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I recently (and unfortunately) spent one evening at Madewood. Had we known just how charming, relaxing and hospitable the place was, we would have stayed longer. Madewood is an amazing experience that allows you to leave the fast-paced modern world and experience life from a bygone era. Although some previous reviews have complained about the lack of tv's or other activities at Madewood, exploring the house and grounds, relaxing in wicker chairs on the balcony, playing with Cleo (the dog), and enjoying Angie's home cooked meals provided us with more than enough entertainment.

It is evident how much love and care have gone into restoring and running Madewood. Keith (the owner) and Angie (the manager and chef) clearly put their all into the plantation and provided great company as well.

The all-inclusive dinner at Madewood is a must and the food is superb. Although some reviews have said this is a bit awkward, sharing drinks and dinner with strangers was a truly wonderful experience. If you truly want to travel and experience life, meeting and interacting with strangers is a must, and Madewood provides for an exceptional setting. Although dinner was a bit early, especially coming from New York City, by the time we had leisurely finished the pre-dinner wine and cheese, the four-course meal, and the after-dinner brandy and coffee, we were more than ready to play a game of Scrabble and go to bed.

To those negative reviews saying that some of the rooms were a bit dark or the bathrooms were small - this is an actual plantation house from the 1840's, with rooms that were created to be used as such. If you want a cookie-cutter hotel room with proper lighting and an oversized bathroom with a large tub, go to the Marriott or Hilton. If you want a memorable experience in an authentic home with period-appropriate furnishings, with a caring and hospitable staff, this is your place.

Overall, Madewood was a unique, relaxing and unforgettable experience. I hope we are able to return soon! And a very big thank you to Keith, Angie, Cleo, and everyone who keeps Madewood running!

Room Tip: Every room is different so decide what you want most - lighting, a large bathtub, a king sized bed...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank audrastark
Leeds, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

We visited this Greek Revival Antebellum plantation house recently in Southern Louisiana, not far from New Orleans, as you stepped thro the door you seemed to step back into history, period furniture & decor, no "keep off" the fixture & fitting signs tho, we were made to feel very welcome both by the staff, some of whom had been there for several generations, & the owner, Keith Marshall, a very entertaining raconteur who found the time to chat with us after dinner & entertain us with his family history & political connections. We stayed 2 nights & hope to go back there again in the future, well worth a visit. Plenty of other interesting plantations to see in the area also.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PKn
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed at the plantation with 3 of my girlfriends for my birthday. I wasn't quite sure what to expect when we arrived at the plantation. I knew we had to dress for the dinner but that was about it.

We stayed on a Thursday night and had the entire mansion to ourselves. We arrives for wine and cheese in the library at 6:00 p.m. It was lovely. The wine was delicious and the cheese and fruit tray was fresh and crisp. A perfect combination. Dinner was served at 7 in the grand dining room--it was silver service. The dishes, flatware, chargers, etc., was all silver.

The food was the best that we had the entire trip, and we stayed in the quarter for a night as well. The salad was crisp and fresh, and the soup was portabello mushroom. The main course was crawfish etouffee in a puff pastry, mashed pumpkin, and some of the best green beans I have ever had. I asked the cook how she prepared them, and she said it was olive oil and almonds...thats it. None of us could believe it. Everything was supurb. Bread pudding with bourbon sauce was served for dessert and I asked the cook if she was a chef. She said a chef would imply I had some formal training and all I know is what my momma taught me. Her mama should teach all chefs how to cook.

After dinner we retired to the salon for coffee and brandy--silver service again. Then the cook (innkeeper) locked up the house and left. It was just us four girls for the night.

The house is impecably decorated. It is full of antiques but it has a comfy, lived-in home feeling.

The next morning we were woken at 8 am with coffee brought to the room. Breakfast was at 8:30. Again, the meal was second to none: cornbread, quiche with andoulie sausage, and I can't remember what else.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. It was silver service all the way--from the literal translation to the customer service. We are already planning our return!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank J B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napoleonville
Nottoway Plantation Resort
#3 of 6 in Donaldsonville
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#3 of 16 in Gonzales

Been to Madewood Plantation House? Share your experiences!