“Can't even check in”

TownePlace Suites Monroe
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Monroe
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The worst front desk experience. I was travelling with family and pets.

Asked if they had rooms available. A: Yes
Asked if they allowed pets. A: Yes ---FOR A $75 PET FEE!!!!! I'm moving with the military so many hotels waive this fee for transferring military but not these folks. It was 101 degrees outside so I said ok.

Asked if they had 2 rooms avail for 2 adults, 3 children (11/7/3 yrs old) and they said the best option was to get a suite that was open with 2 bedrooms. GREAT! Then said they couldn't give a military discount. No biggie, I'd prefer a hotel that gave a you know what but I said ok. Price was only $159 and that was cheaper than most of the other places I'd stayed that week.

Then as she is booking me, the girl next to her had just reserved the same room for someone on the phone even though she was the one that recommended the 2 bedroom suite option!

Then they tried to offer me 2 single bed suites for the same price but not one total price. They actually thought I'd pay 159 for 2 suites!!!!! At that point I got my ID and credit card and left.

Decided to stay on the road and found another place to stay that had competent staff.

I was concerned to start with considering the interstate is only a hundred yards or so away and the ACTIVE railroad track is 1/4 mile away and add to this the mall.

Room Tip: Keep on driving.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Sarah H, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites Monroe, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I am sorry your expectations were not met. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity if you are in our area again.
Sarah Heatherly
Sales Manager

There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Monroe

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We've stopped here twice for one night stopovers...it's right off the highway which makes its easy to get on and off...the rooms are clean, new and very comfortable with all the in-room amenities including microwave and kitchenette. Plus they have a decent breakfast in the morning included in the rate...can't ask for more!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pony101
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Wastbasket in the room was full of trash and put in a cabinet in the bathroom. The hall had trash in it that was there during the 15 hour duration of my stay. When I came down on the elevator, it was full of wet towels and had some trash. I mentioned this to the desk clerk who was very sorry and took $10 off the bill. The rooms and bathroom appear clean and well stocked but the above problems signify that the property will go downhill rapidly if there is not better oversight.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Julie G
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was my first stay at a TownePlace Suites. I was in a King Studio suite with a small kitchenette (two burner, small dishwasher, and medium sized refrigerator). I found the room comfortable with plenty of electrical outlets. There was a nice work/desk area; however, you cannot work at the desk and look up to see what is on TV because it is behind you. If you choose to sit on the couch there was not a side table to put a drink. They had an ottoman that had a table overlay that you could use for a coffee table or remove to put your feet; however, it was fun putting the overlay somewhere without tripping over it. The studio suite is smaller than other Suite Hotels and I finally found the closet in the bathroom (odd location). These are minor design issues. The things that are important to me were met. These are, overall clean, comfortable controllable air conditioning (no huge swings), bed was very comfortable, bathroom clean, coffee maker with coffee (present), decent sized refrigerator (present); continental breakfast area (present). The nice to haves are: restaurants within walking distance (several - wide variety), free parking, and free internet (although slow). Staff was friendly and helpful. Definitely will stay at another TownePlace Suites whether in Monroe or elsewhere.

Room Tip: Studio suites are small/cozy. Think regular sized hotel room with a king bed and the kitchenette in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was our first stay at a TownePlace Suites. We picked this hotel because it accepted dogs.
The staff was quite nice and helpful and the hotel was nicely decorated. Unfortunately, the hotel was sold out, which created some problems. The only room available when we made our reservation was a queen suite. While the room has a full kitchen, to call it a suite is overreaching. The room was more like a studio and was actually a lot smaller than the suites in other mid-priced hotels. I was told that the king and two-BR suites are larger, but I did not see them, so I cannot comment. We did enjoy having a real refrigerator. There is also a lot of storage.
When we checked in, it took nearly an hour to get a luggage cart. The hotel only has two luggage carts. When we got a cart, I discovered there was only one curb cut and it was not at the entrance to the hotel, but off to the side, which meant that access could be blocked by large trucks.
The breakfast spread was reasonable for a mid-priced hotel, but there was only one waffle maker. I waited over 20 minutes to make a waffle. And then the gestapo attendant moved in and said she had to shut down the breakfast at 9:30 even though there were people waiting to use the waffle maker. Bad customer service by this one person.
I thought the towels and washcloths were pretty thin for this nice of a hotel, also. Although, the hotel is non-smoking, they allowed smokers to stand right outside the door to smoke, which I believe is against the law.
At lot of these complaints are small, but what would it cost to invest in another luggage cart and another waffle maker? When we are traveling with our dogs, we will probably stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
kfolt310, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites Monroe, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Hello,
Thank you for your valuable comments on our hotel. Thank you so much for understanding that we were incredibly busy with several large groups during your stay. We will look into the issues and take appropriate action when possible. We do hope you will give us another chance when you return our area.
Thank you for choosing to stay at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Monroe,
Sarah Heatherly
Sales Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay there last night. Excellent customer service, wonderful staff who assisted us any time we needed it and very well maintained. We would stay there again!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This property was my first experience with a TownPlace Suites Hotel, but I have since stayed at a second property and booked a second stay at this property based on my first stay. I picked up a few groceries at a local store and enjoyed working/eating in my room some evenings, as the rooms include a regular-sized refrigerator/freezer, microwave/convection oven and stovetop, as well as a full-sized sink and dishwasher. There was also plenty of open floor space to accommodate my DVD exercise routine. A breakfast of hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, juices and coffee is also included in the price of your room. A Courtyard with a Bistro restaurant/bar is conveniently located next door...in fact, they share a parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Hampton Inn & Suites Monroe
#6 of 14 in Monroe
Courtyard Monroe Airport
Best Western Airport Inn
Home2 Suites by Hilton West Monroe

Been to TownePlace Suites Monroe? Share your experiences!