“Excellent Stay for Long Week” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Monroe

Residence Inn Monroe
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Monroe
Olathe, Kansas
“Excellent Stay for Long Week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Typically when in Monroe I stay at either the Hampton Inn or the TownPlace Suites. TownPlace was not available for this week long stay; therefore, I stayed at the Residence Inn because I wanted to do my own meals. I was working from 5am until 7pm. The staff was excellent. There breakfast area opened at 6am; however, I was leaving before that. Each morning as I got coffee the hostess was setting up the breakfast area and asked if I wanted anything to take with me. Never did; however, the gesture and greeting was appreciated. Never made it back in time for the reception in the evening. My studio was comfortable roomy and I could work from the desk and watch TV (a pet peeve of mine). The kitchenette had a full sized refridgerator and I prepared my meals each night. Overall a great experience that met my needs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I spend a good bit of time in hotels. This was my first time staying in a Residence Inn and I almost skipped them due to some of the reviews. Boy, am I glad that I didn't.
When I walked in the door, I was greeted warmly and checked in quickly. During that time, I had the chance to speak briefly with the manager. All my requests were granted. It appears that the rooms facing the railroad tracks are now maybe hearing impaired rooms (just a guess, based on observation of doorbells for those rooms). The room that I stayed in was facing towards the courtyard. I didn't hear any trains during my stay. The pillows were so comfortable and I slept great. There was a comment about the A/C being noisy. I found it quieter than the window (ptac) units that you Find in other hotels.
Their evening "social" is a meal. The food was great and the staff was courteous and helpful. Breakfast was amazing. Plenty of choices for those trying to eat healthy as well as those craving classic breakfast fare. I believe the lady that worked in the dining area is named Bebo. Unique name for a great hostess. She greeted me, made me feel like a special guest in her home.

Looking forward to returning there in a few months.

• Stayed January 2013
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked the 2 br family suite for 1 week. Our stay was satisfactory but I left feeling like I wanted more, esp from a brand name like Marriot?

Some minor bugbears:

1) The sofa bed was not very comfortable, so request for a rollaway bed if you are staying for more than one night.

2) Slow water drainage...it was not very nice to be standing in dirty water while you're trying to get clean. Also, the water did not seem to get hot enough, just barely warm.

3) Room ventilation should be better, esp with a kitchen in the premises.

4) Please replace the flowers near the laundry room, there is fungus growing in the vase. Some things just cannot be unseen!

5) The fire alarm went off one night near midnight. I think there was only one hotel staff on duty that night, I wished there was better communication between the hotel and the guests because we were all unsure what to do. Some guests stayed in their room, some returned even before the fire dept arrived...I shudder to think about what if it had been a real emergency.

There were a lot of pluses though

1) Breakfast with Beba! She's lovely, helping you to get juice and waffles, making sure you have a good breakfast. The oatmeal is especially delicious!

2) Just across the carpark from Pecanland Mall. The place looks huge from the outside, but doesn't everything in America? Nice mall with good shopping, the old-fashioned carousel will keep kids entertained. We were there around Christmas so the traffic in the area was quite bad, it was great to be within walking distance of the only mall in Monroe.

3) The suite itself was large and nicely finished, soft linen, plenty of towels. Housekeeping did not come every day though, not sure if this was an oversight or their usual practice.

4) Yes, the hotel is right next to the train tracks, and the trains come by quite often and they are very very long BUT it was barely audible in the room. Unless you are the lightest of lightest sleepers, it really should not bother you.

Room Tip: Request for a rollaway bed instead of the sofa bed
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Canandaigua, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

There for a 4 night stay. Have corporate rate for company staff visiting area, and made a great choice. Nice rooms. Comfortable beds. Like the location. Breakfast service is outstanding, and Beba is an absolute gem. Everyone very nice here. Is around pretty heavy traffic and train tracks, but hear nothing. Nice pool and outdoor area, that even has a netted off basketball area. This place will see much repeat business from company staff and myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a quick one-nighter (checked in at 11PM, out by 7:00AM). Serviceable property at a good price. Caveats: the AC was located in a locked closet in the bedroom - VERY loud. Also my shower wouldn't drain - I never enjoy standing in my own filth. I didn't get to experience much of the hotel, but I'd probably pass next time because of the AC.

• Stayed October 2012
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

It is older than some that I have stayed in, but I thought it was a decent hotel. I travel quite a bit for work and stayed for a week recently at this location. The management staff were just okay, but I was really impressed with the maid service. April was the lady who took care of my room most days. She was incredibily kind and thoughtful. I have never had any one show true customer service like she did during my stay. I liked the over sized suite I was given. The full kitchen is nice also when you are staying for more than a night or two. They do serve a hot, decent breakfast. They also serve dinner, but I ate other places for dinner, so not sure what the quality was like. The only bad thing with this hotel was the train. The hotel is directly across from railroad tracks and active trains. The room would shake and then you would hear what sounds like a tornado. I got used to it and it didn't keep me awake at night, but if you are a light sleeper, this could be an issue. Overall, I really liked the hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nolanville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Our unit was very nice and provided a nice rest from our road trip. Close to several restaraunts and a large mall. The evening socials weren't on the same level as the obe in Austin. Overall a very nice place to stop on a long trip.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Hampton Inn & Suites Monroe
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 14 in Monroe
3.5 of 5 stars 229 reviews

Been to Residence Inn Monroe? Share your experiences!