“uuuugggghhhhh....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Monroe
Lubbock
“uuuugggghhhhh....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Not a good hotel to drive into after being in the car all day. Disappointed from the start. The hotel is very old and feels that way. The pool looks old with cracked tiles and the water looked smoggy. No pool towels so you will have to bring one from the room. I was shocked to find out my pet fee was $50!!! That is over half what I paid for the room. The hotel next door had free pet stays... just fyi! Rooms were average and tv was large box on dresser. Location made me a little uncomfortable so I chose to park in the front of the building instead of in the back closer to my room. Glad it was only one night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank beffythompson
Julie R, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the hotel to let me know what things were important to you that needed looking into. Yes the hotel is old and in need of renovations. I have been trying to concentrate since getting here a few months ago on changing attitudes and cleaning correctly and thoroughly. The pool towels were disappearing every time we turned around and it was getting expensive to replace both kinds of towels every month, we have since gotten in a large number of pool towels after stocking up for a couple months on the room towels. You commented about the hotel next door, yes the La Quinta does not charge for pets. After I saw your comment I researched the other hotels in Monroe and their pet fees. I found we were in the middle with our pet fee with all the newer hotels not taking pets at all. We are looking forward to new owners and a lot of upgrades please check back on us the next time you are in town and you may see a whole “new” hotel depending on when you come back. Thank you again for staying and passing on your comments to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lafayette, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Items on the web site were misleading...the longer I stayed, the worse it got. Game room had no A/C, work out room was terrible, the outdoor pool was nonexistent, indoor pool was in a large area that was not ventilated causing it to be very hot and stuffy and chlorine was so strong my kids could not stay in the water long. Found stale cake all over the floor in my room after being there two days. I did not bring any food into my room. Cake remained on floor through my entire 5 day stay. Mold in the bathrooms. Bathroom receptacle was coming out of the wall. Did not get room service one day and had to ask for towels. The next day, room service left two bath towels and one wash rag - for four people. Had to unplug lamps and clocks to plug in devices since no extra receptacles were available. Service in the bar was also terrible. Drinks way over priced for the quality of the hotel. Hotel needs a complete overhaul of patched and pieced together amenities. There were a few employees that were professional and hospitable. It is a shame the negative overshadows them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kiki D

Travelers are raving about these Monroe hotels

Largo, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

From the outside it looks rundown.

Changed rooms 5X because 1) AC didn't work 2) AC stopped working 3) Room smelled like smoke 4) Room reeked of mold 5) Another smokey room 6) finally found a room with working AC and didn't smell of smoke or mold.

Train seemed to run by every 30 minutes or so.

Outdoor pool is closed off.

Indoor pool was cloudy.

Room key stopped working every day for three days straight.

Housekeeping sucked. Found giant wad of hair in room. I guess they don't vacuum much.

Came back one evening and found a pile of dirty towels still outside our door. "They must have forgot to pick up" No kidding.

One day they must have also forgot to drop off clean towels. Called front desk and they would "send them right up". Had to go to front desk to get myself. Asked why. "Well a lot of rooms called wanting towels and I must have forgotten yours".

Twice found a dirty wash cloth still hanging from shower stall after they "cleaned" the room.

Front desk lady was nice and offered us a free dinner to make up. Should have turned down. It was as bad as rest of place.

Why didn't we move hotels. Because none were left in the area. Booked another place for two rooms through Expedia. Got to hotel and they only had one. Expedia messed up and tried to find me a place with two rooms. Due to multiple events in town the only place they could find was this dump. After waiting two hours for them to find me a place and I heard it was a Clarion I thought it would be good. Turns out there was a reason this was the only place in town still with rooms.

Don't walk, run away from this hell hole.

Room Tip: Choose the YMCA over this place. If I could rate it lower than 1 I would.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LargoLou
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

There were few cars in the poorly lit lot the hotel appeared empty. Our room was at the very back. We walked through the "dome" and passed the murky green indoor pool and the covered, neglected outdoor pool. Public areas were not air conditioned. Disrepair was everywhere. In our room, we found a puddle of dried urine about six inches in diameter on the bathroom floor. We decided to leave. The desk clerk and security man were kind. My charge was refunded but we could not find a vacancy in Monroe or W. Monroe. The security guard suggested Ruston, 37 miles down the road. That would be my recommendation, too.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank optimistdoc
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Dirty, falling apart, terrible service. I'm worried things are going to crawl all over me while I sleep. Terrible area. Outside door was unlocked when I came in the room and the train rolls through right behind the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Danielle S
Bentley, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

why you ask? The internet here is Soooo slooooow. If you travel for business, don't risk lack of internet speed to get your proposals done, or update your blog... it's gonna take you awhile to do so.
The suites are nice and big, all the rooms are decent size. This room is a standard double and has a fridge and fridge... I wouldn't pay any more than 75 for this room, the charged me 85 discounted from the regular 95.
I don't blame anyone just yet for not having AC, things break... let's see how the respond. That will let us know of the regard for the guest. It has been about 40 mins since the maint. man told me he can't fix the AC. I called and was told that someone at the front desk will have to call me back.. tick tock..... tick tock... oh my it is hot hot hot ..... An hour later, I get a new room. It is a downgrade though. :(

Room Tip: Slow internet, big suites in the atrium with with separate bedroom, Stay away from the Train Tracks...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Johndukejr
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for a family reunion and it was horrible. There were roaches in our room.The hallways weren't air conditioned. There was an area where there were dirty towels that had been sitting in the heat which created an odor that was unbearable. The shower curtain smelled of urine and had mildew on it. The staff is present but there definitely didn't seem to be any managing happening. We ordered food in the bar the first night. 45 min later and we still hadn't received it.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank nthebizz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Comfort Suites
#8 of 14 in Monroe
3.0 of 5 stars 197 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Monroe
BEST WESTERN Airport Inn

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites and Conference Center? Share your experiences!