Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Metairie (New Orleans)
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Metairie
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“One of the Best!”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed at this Ramada as one of our stops on a road trip. It was our 3rd stop of the trip and we were looking for a good hotel for a good price. So we booked this hotel.
After camping in Georgia in July and staying at an older Ramada in Orlando (busy with Disney World a mile down the road), we we're ready for a nice stay and for some good sleep.
We pulled up to the hotel, and Ill be honest with you, we were very nervous. There were a couple of missing windows on the top floor and huge construction dumpers everywhere. We had then decided we'd go inside and if we didn't like what we saw, we'd lose the money and go else where.
So we went in to the lobby and it was beautiful! All brand new. The breakfast area is huge and the front desk receptionist was very polite and friendly. Then we saw that they had the top floor blocked off on the stairs...then we kind of got nervous again. We thought it was like every other hotel in the world...they updated and remodeled the front reception area and left the rooms for the last 30 years.

We got to our room...AMAZING. Its all brand new furnishings and just smells brand new. The bed was so comfortable and the bathroom was huge. It was all very clean. I always wear my shoes in hotels since you never know what is on those kind of floors, and this hotel, I didnt have to wear my shoes.

The pool area is huge and very nice. Breakfast is pretty good...you cant expect a huge gourmet buffet for continental. But it was filling enough all three mornings.

I dont have a single complaint about this hotel. Its a great deal and so new and clean.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
RamadaMetairie, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Metairie (New Orleans), responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor valuable customer. I am humbled by your patronage and valuable feedback. Our dedicated staff has much appreciated your kind comments and we thank you once again. Our much anticipated 8 million dollar renovation is over and we cannot wait for your next return visit for you to discover the last updates we have completed.
Best regards,
JC Lazarus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Hamburg, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2010

This was my third stay, 1st was prior to remodeling (May 2009- 2adults 1 teenager 2 full size beds), room needed update, but was fairly clean. Elevator near our room was inoperable. Second stay was best (Feb 2010 - 2 adults 1 baby 11months old). Room completely newly remodeled. Awesome free internet access on both our laptops simultaneously, walked to Metairie Mardi Gras parades on Veterans Hwy. Walked to KMart, grocery store, and bead shop. Good free continental breadfast (scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, toast, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, bagles, waffles, fruit, juice, coffee, milk). 4th night Room key didn't work at 4:30am, but office sent maintenace immediately to reprogram - not really an inconvenience at all. Very close to Lakeside Mall and restaurants. Construction was NOT bothersome. 3rd trip (May 2010 - 1 adult) again brand new room, EXCEPT in a far corner on 3rd floor - had to take laptop down to pool because I couldn't connect to internet in my far away room - a bit of an incovenience because I had so far to walk & I have a bad knee) - would've preferred closer room. BUT, room was CLEAN, NEW and comfortable! Depending on traffic, airport or French Quarter just 20 minute drive. I've stayed in the French Quarter, the Marigny, Uptown (St. Charles) and Metairie. This is obviously a place I'll return to again & again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
California
Reviewed May 14, 2010

we went to new orleans for a college graduation with three adults and two children. we stayed for six nights and seven days. we had flight delays so we checked in after midnight. when i read reviews i look for the issuse so let's start off with the negatives first:
1. the hotel is still under construction, so there were workers and noise during the week but not on the weekends
2. there is freeway construction nearby
3. the room didnt have a fridge or microwave
now the positives: the price was great, the rooms were nice everything looked new the linens were clean, the room had crown molding, baseboards, nice neutral paints and the carpets and floors were clean, the staff was really helpful (i forgot my battery charger for my camera, came back the next day and the housekeeper turned it in to the office. thanks!), the pool was nice, free parking, good location near great shopping and restaurants. metairie is a great city to stay in near new orleans and if you have a car. my family had two rooms, one on the 2nd floor where it was quiet and the other room on the 1st floor near the pool where you could hear people playing at times and at other times adults were relaxing poolside lounging enjoying a drink. this hotel is non smoking and neither of the rooms smelled like smoke or coverup air fresheners. they have two elevators for accessibility, air conditioners, huge bathrooms with tile and granite countertops, a desk with chair, flat screen tv, plenty of lighting as well as natural light from the big window near the door. the breakfast was good eggs, sausage, fluffy biscuits, all kinds of hot and cold cereal, pastries, bagels, muffins, waffle station, fruit, orange and apple juice, nice dining room which was kept up nicely by an attendant so the food didnt look picked over and she kept everything full.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Imperial, Missouri
Reviewed January 29, 2010

The moment my eyes fell on this place i knew it was going to be a lovely, and very nice place to stay. It was well worth every penny, it was close enough to the FQ and the GD but far enough away to not deal with big crowds. The rooms were very spacious and clean as were the bathrooms and grounds. The staff were helpfull and went out of their way to be so. Breakfasts were delicious, but basic no special items.

Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 22, 2010

The staff were really friendly and very helpful. we got a free shuttle from the airport to to the hotel upon our arrival. The first night we stayed in a really nice big renovated room only to be awoken by sawing in the morning - from what appeared to be continued renovations across the courtyard. So before we ventured out on our fist day of vacation, we asked to be moved - which they did to a quiet corner on the second floor. Always stay on the second floor if you can - less overall ruckus. We actually really enjoyed our room - but the noise in the morning was a tad much with the continued sawing heard in the distance. The bathroom was large and spotless. The room was modern and updated. However, the business center computer sucked - totally useless. That's the only real negative I could find. Also, do make sure you get to the hot breakfast before 9:30 a.m. otherwise all the food will be gone. GREAT PRICE for this property! Location is no problem at all either. I would recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
San Mateo CA
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while visiting New Orleans. We wanted to visit plantations and swamps as well as French quarter. The hotel is ideally located from this perspective as you are right on the freeway, 5 minutes from the airport and straight shot to plantations and also the other way to Slidell for the swamp tours. French quarter is about 10-15 minute drive from the hotel.

Hotel is fairly primitive, ala super8 or Motel6 style. It is not in the best part of the city although not in the worst either. Super8 hotels I stayed at recently were cleaner than this one. You are also very close to ACME oyster house which is fantastic.

Hotel itself is somewhat worn out building and rooms. I think they put a bit of lipstick on the room walls and such but for the most part you can see an old tired hotel.

Breakfast was just a normal continental breakfast. Ignore the hot breakfast talk. Their scrambled eggs are yellow indeed but that is only thing they have in common with real scrambled eggs.

The highlight of the stay was finding a huge cockroach on one of the curtains in the room one night. I put the cockroach in a plastic cup and took it to the front desk. Reaction of the 2 ladies at the front desk surprised me even more than finding a cockroach. I was expecting them to be apologetic for their hotel. Nothing of the kind. They did not apologize; furthermore one of them asked me to take the cockroach outside ( I told her it was their cockroach and thus I am going to leave it on the front desk for her to enjoy). Just a fairly negative experience altogether.

Would I stay here again ? I would certainly explore other options before staying here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Chagrin Falls, OH
Reviewed March 20, 2009

If you're looking for a place to stay for cheap in New Orleans, this could be your place! Although nominally "ten minutes from the French Quarter," with the New Orleans traffic you should count on at least 20-25 minutes, with lots of stop-and-go traffic on the freeway. On the up side, the cost was only one-third of one of the fancier hotels in town, and you get wireless internet and a decent breakfast for free.

The lobby and breakfast area are exceptional--probably rebuilt after Katrina. My room had decent furniture, but definitely could have used a paint job. Being on the second floor, this room was probably not rehabbed after the hurricane. The majority of rooms are in a building behind the lobby building, and all of those rooms face a large, rather nice courtyard area, which also contains the (outdoor) pool. If I had had any extra time at the hotel, the courtyard would have been a nice place to relax, read a book, etc. The free breakfast includes the usual continental breakfast fare, and on all three days of my stay, scrambled eggs and biscuits. (I never did see the waffles and french toast that the in-room information binder mentioned, though.)

All in all, this is a decent place to stay. It certainly compares favorably with other no-frills hotels in Metairie. (I have stayed in two others.) If you're looking to save money in exchange for the downtown/French Quarter ambiance, give the Ramada a try.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business