“Good value in a convenient location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Metairie (New Orleans)

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Metairie (New Orleans)
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Metairie
Chagrin Falls, OH
“Good value in a convenient location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

If you're looking for a place to stay for cheap in New Orleans, this could be your place! Although nominally "ten minutes from the French Quarter," with the New Orleans traffic you should count on at least 20-25 minutes, with lots of stop-and-go traffic on the freeway. On the up side, the cost was only one-third of one of the fancier hotels in town, and you get wireless internet and a decent breakfast for free.

The lobby and breakfast area are exceptional--probably rebuilt after Katrina. My room had decent furniture, but definitely could have used a paint job. Being on the second floor, this room was probably not rehabbed after the hurricane. The majority of rooms are in a building behind the lobby building, and all of those rooms face a large, rather nice courtyard area, which also contains the (outdoor) pool. If I had had any extra time at the hotel, the courtyard would have been a nice place to relax, read a book, etc. The free breakfast includes the usual continental breakfast fare, and on all three days of my stay, scrambled eggs and biscuits. (I never did see the waffles and french toast that the in-room information binder mentioned, though.)

All in all, this is a decent place to stay. It certainly compares favorably with other no-frills hotels in Metairie. (I have stayed in two others.) If you're looking to save money in exchange for the downtown/French Quarter ambiance, give the Ramada a try.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelDog83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
us
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

Having just left the DoubletreeHotel after 3 days of being robbed(or so I felt like it ). This hotel was a welcome surprise. We only stayed 1 night. We were leaving New Orleans after Mardi Gras when we realized our favorite team (PISTONS!) was playing the Hornets. Refusing to go back to the Doubletree , we drove about 10 minutes west on I-10 and found this little gem. Couldn't believe it was better than the Doubletree at less than half of the price of their nightly rate. Quiet , clean, and secure . If I had known it was there, I would have stayed there my entire trip. A quick direct 10 minutes straight into downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter. Nice complimentary breakfast (eggs,sausage, hot/cold cereals, muffins, bagels, variety of juices,etc.) It was a very nice end to a stay that had been a disappointment (due to the pathetic, overpriced, awful, Doubletree). I would stay there again in a heartbeat and definiely recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank roamin1
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed here at the last minute when our other arrangements fell through. So we stumbled into the Ramada around 2 am and were very happy with what we found.

In short, this Ramada is a relatively nice hotel. It's nothing fancy but it's clean and is recently updated. They have a continental breakfast with more than just your typical donuts which was a nice touch. There is an interior courtyard that makes the hotel a little more cozy. Although we didn't use the pool, it appeared to be well maintained. My only complaint was that the room was a little damp feeling.

I would stay here again.

• Liked — clean rooms
  • Disliked — The room was damp feeling.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank howmuchlonger
Little Rock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

My family experienced an enjoyable stay during out visit to New Orleans. We found the Ramada Limited to be very clean with a more than accomodating staff. The free "deluxe continental breakfast" was incredible consisting of scrambled eggs, sassage, buscuits, and many other items to choose from. We plan on returning next year for our yearly family vacation. Thanks again Ramada for making our vacation extra special.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank SunEdeLite
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

I was in New Orleans for business so my main concern was being able to work on my computer accessing the internet from my hotel room. Connecting to the hotel's wireless network wasn't a problem (as long as I remembered to turn on my laptops wireless NIC). Even though I had an ‘end’ room I had a very good wireless signal. There appears to be two wireless access points, one for the front of the hotel and one for the rear. I was in the rear most building.

The main problem was accessing the internet. Connection to the Internet was sporadic, at best. Using Windows Vista (which sucks) on my newly acquired tablet pc (my XP notebook died just prior to the trip) to diagnose the problem usually indicated that it couldn't access the DNS (domain name server). When the internet connection was lost I tried the wireless access point at the front of the hotel with the same results. The Staff at the hotel couldn't fix the problem. Their solution was to cycle the Wireless receiver. The intermittent internet connection was like the weather, wait long enough and it would change.

Even the hotel's 'Business Center' computer had problems connecting to the internet. When the 'Business Center' computer couldn't connect to the internet it's web browser would return with the hotel's home page rather than the web page I originally typed (e.g. yahoo.com, google.com, microsoft.com).

The hotel had signs advertising that the rooms were newly renovated. I’m not sure what their definition of renovated was but my room did have a fresh coat of paint on the walls and was clean but nothing more. I wouldn’t call it a newly renovated room since the carpet or furniture was not new. The rod for the towel rack kept falling out of it’s holder even when I didn’t try to but a towel on it. This was directly above the stool but fortunately it didn’t hit me when I was in a seated position.

The continental breakfast was satisfactory. The hot items were sausage patties, scrambled eggs, and biscuits. They also had a variety of other items including muffins, danishes, bagels & cream cheese, breakfast cereals, yogurt, oranges and apples. There was whole & half percent milk in pitchers on the counter. The milk was cold out of the pitcher as they appeared to have a core (filled with ice?) that kept the milk cold. There was also orange, apple and cranberry juice that was dispensed from a drink machine. There was a hotel staff member who kept the food & drinks filled and the tables, trays & counters wiped down. All patrons that ate breakfast at the same time I did would pick up after them selves but were confused, as I was, were to put used trays. Even though I felt the scrambled eggs were acceptable a gentleman there for the same business I was felt the eggs were unacceptable and opted for breakfast at Burger King.

The staff was polite and courteous but had essentially no knowledge about the hotels networking system or how to correct any problems.

House keeping kept my room well stocked with towels, soap, etc. and clean.

• Liked — Location was near many restaurants & fast food and other businesses away from New Orleans
  • Disliked — Internet connection intermittent
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank q4blue
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2008

Things didn't begin well at the Ramada Limited. We arrived in a drenching rainstorm only to be told that they couldn't find our reservation. I gave the desk clerk the confirmation number and she was still unable to locate it. She finally told us she would speak to the manager and went to his office. We could see him through the door on his telephone. After almost 20 minutes he still had not bothered to assist her or us so I called AAA.

The lady at AAA assured me we had a reservation and called the main hotel number only to be put on hold and eventually disconnected. She phoned me back to say she couldn't get anyone to speak to her at the hotel. Luckily, in the meantime the desk clerk had managed to "find" our reservation and get us our room.

The room we were given was in a back corner of the hotel with no view of anything but a concrete block wall. There was no sunlight in the corner and the whole place felt dreary.

The size of the room was very small for two queen size beds and we had to really arrange our luggage to have room to walk.

The hotel said it has Wi-Fi access and on this trip I was relying on internet access to update my GPS device. Unfortunately, I could not get a connection on our first day. When I went to the desk the next morning to ask I learned they were having "problems" and it would be corrected. The "problems" were never corrected while we were there.

The furnishings were about average and beds comfortable but not as nice as I'm used to at Holiday Inn (especially the thin pillows).

Overall the property was very clean and attractive for a chain hotel. However, the problems we encountered and the location of the room spoiled our stay.

To top things off when we checked out the clerk seemed to be ill. She was sneezing and coughing so I tried to keep my distance all the time wishing I had express checkout so I wouldn't have to stand near her. Despite my attempts to avoid whatever she had a day later as we crossed Texas I became very sick and for two weeks dealt with the flu and it's aftermath.

• Liked — Very clean and well kept.
  • Disliked — Problems with check-in, problems with Wi-Fi, room was in a terrible location.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ghstchsr
Kapolei, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

My party of five Hawaii Warrior fans stayed here for three nights to attend the 2008 Sugar Bowl. I chose this hotel because we flew into Houston to save on airfare and drove the rest of the way. Since we had a car we opted to save on the hotel too and stay outside of downtown New Orleans. This worked out great as it was easy to get on I-10 to get into the city and since most folks were on holiday we didn't run into any rush hour traffic. Parking was easy to find in the city and the lots were safe. We paid $20 for all day parking just outside the French Quarter. Sounds expensive, but that's what we would have paid for daily hotel parking if we had stayed in that area.

We had two adjoining rooms. They were both clean and spacious. Each had two comfortable queen beds, sofa and arm chair. Bathroom fixtures looked relatively new and were well maintained. Appreciated the in-room safe to store our Sugar Bowl tickets. Heater worked fine and we needed it as it dropped into the 30s at night. Breakfast was average, but service was attentive and items were constantly replenished. Front desk service was fine, but they could show a little more Aloha spirit.

The ACME Oyster House is a few minutes walk from the hotel. It's a great place for oysters and other regional cuisine. We ate there twice because the oysters were so ono (delicious)! A Kmart and supermarket are also a few minutes walk from the hotel. A big mall was just a few minutes drive away too.

If you're going to NOLA to party I'd stay near the French Quarter so you can walk everywhere and not worry about having a designated driver or an expensive cab ride. We had a couple of teenagers in our group so not being able to cruise Bourbon St into the wee hours of the morning didn't bother us as it wasn't on our agenda.

• Liked — Spacious clean rooms and proximity to the ACME Oyster House
  • Disliked — Lack of a refrigerator
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family