“well designed, poorly managed”

Sheraton Metairie New Orleans
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Metairie
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel was beautiful, very nice rooms with very comfortable beds and nice granite counter tops in the bathroom. The rooms weren't that clean though, the phone was disgusting, with crusted food and lots of fingerprints on it. The tv stand was glass-topped and this was dirty and streaked.
The room was a good size, and well laid out.
Front desk staff: 1 of 5 was friendly with warm southern hospitality type attitude. the other 4 I interacted with had more of an 'i hate customers' type attitude. I arrived at the hotel early and asked about early check in, and i received a flat 'check in is 3pm' response, without even the pretense of checking the computer to see if they could accomodate me.
Room service was brisk and unfriendly on the phone and not much better in person. Food was seriously overpriced and over cooked. I ordered a glass a skim milk and was delivered a glass of 2% milk. I called them back to get the correct milk, and it took them 10-15 min to inform me that they were out of skim, and when the woman returned to refund me, she made a comment about how could you really taste the difference anyway.
The gym had 2 treadmills and a couple bikes and cross trainers, all quite new. They also had a bench and freeweights, but no weight machines, mats or exercise ball.
It seemed like maybe the manager was on vacation or something, as nothing in the gym had been refilled. There were dispensers for gym wipes and cups for the water cooler, but both were empty. There were also no gym towels, and the door to the pool was still locked at 9am. I guess someone forgot to open it. The gym was quite warm and humid, AC appeared to be broken.
I booked an 11am shuttle to the airport, one of the included services, and was waiting at 10:50am. The shuttle returned at 11:05am and the driver informed me that the departure time had been changed to 11:15am to accommodate some flight attendants. No one bothered to inform me of this, so I ended up wasting 25min waiting and had to rush at the airport (security at new orleans was crazy slow!
Overall, this hotel could be awesome if they just made some personel changes.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton-Metairie, General Manager at Sheraton Metairie New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback which will enhance our guest’s experience. I was very unhappy to hear that the service our staff provided in all departments was not up to the level of service for which we are known. Our team members will be undergoing customer service training, to improve our service delivery. Also please be assured that I have met with all of our department managers and we are investigating the issue you raise and appropriate action will be taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. We strive to take care of our guests needs and give the best level of service possible. I hope to have an occasion to have you back as our guest so that we can show you the exemplary service each of our valued guests expect and deserve. Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback and we hope to see you again. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Last time I stayed here, years ago, it was a tired property. Way different now. It has been renovated and is beautiful. Linens in the bath and on the bed were great. Had a wonderful nights sleep. Large room. Staff were all pleasant and professional. I did not eat on site so I cannot comment to the food.

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank joburkholder1

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate it when our guests take the time to let us know how pleasant their stay was at the Sheraton. I am so glad to hear that you returned to our hotel and gave us a chance to provide you with the professional and pleasant service you as our guest deserve. Your very nice comments will be shared with our team members and we hope you continue to return to our hotel when in our area.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The rooms are nice and quiet and the water pressure in the showers are outstanding. My only complaint was about the overpriced crappy breakfast buffet. Find anywhere else to eat breakfast. Its $16 you will regret spending.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Reggie H

Thank you for your sharing your concerns with us. One of our goals is to ensure value for the price paid during your stay and I’m sorry we were not able to provide this for you when it came to your meal. I am happy to say we have hired a new Executive Chef since your visit and we are working at updating both our breakfast menu and buffet. Both the positive and negative feedback you have shared will be gone over with our team members to help in our growth. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Reviewed January 1, 2013

A great place to stay if you want to be away from the french quarter and still be close enough to get in and get out, without all the hassle of parking and the expense staying overnight in the qtr. Want a nice weekend in New Orleans? Stay here and relax in a well kept property that's easy to get to from I-10 and close to any restaurant and great shoppping in the city, or for just spending the night before you board your cruise ship on Saturday afternoon like I did.

Room Tip: Look for the Galeria building while travelling on I-10 east or west. It's right next to it!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chas G

We are happy our location was convenient for your endeavor to New Orleans. I was glad to read your remarks and see that you had a nice stay during your recent trip to our area. Our staff is who represents us and we work hard at giving attentive and friendly service. Cleanliness is also a top priority at our hotel. One of our goals is to ensure value for the price paid during your stay and I’m sorry we were not able to provide this for you when it came to your meal. I am happy to say we have hired a new Executive Chef since your visit and we are working at updating our menu with the best dishes our local area has to offer. It was nice of you to take the time to share your comments. I hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future and we thank you for your business. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel was a good choice for us in town for a wedding. Hotel has a friendly staff and is clean although housekeeping was a little slow. We had vouchers for the buffet breakfast which was the same every day and just okay (not worth $13.95). The dinner menu is limited and just okay as well. The location is good because the mall is neaby and also only about a 10 minute drive on the expressway from New Orleans and the airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KARLEY K

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We have stayed there many times travelling through town. I am Starwood Gold. The service has fallen and the hotel room carpet had a huge nasty stain. Avoid room 714. The club floor lounge was poorly attended too

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Matthew W
Reviewed December 14, 2012

If you are looking for a comfy hotel that is not in the middle of the crowd in New Orleans then this is your spot. This place was very quiet, spacious and staff was friendly. Taxi's came by all day and night but since we drove, we used our own car to drive into New Orleans.

Location: This is located near the highway but the noise is not a distraction. There are not a lot of people in and out like the hotels on Canal or closer to Bourbon.

Amenities: I honestly didn't use anything in the hotel except the business center which is closed off, quiet and always has ink in the printer (That was a plus for me). I was in New Orleans so I wanted to eat, drink, tour, sleep and do it all again.

Room: One thing I can say is the room is definitely spacious! I wasn't expecting a sitting area in the room we had but it was a very nice set up, when we were in there.

Overall, this hotel is for those who don't like a lot of distractions and for couples who want to spend alone time together. The hotel is gorgeous and definitely worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnjelB

We are happy our location was convenient for your endeavor to New Orleans. Many of our guests appreciate the quiet surroundings as an escape from the crowds of the city. It is great to know you enjoyed your spacious room yet I am sorry that you were not able to use any of our other amenities. It’s nice to hear that your experience exceeded your expectations and we are flattered by your kind review. We hope you’ll visit us again soon. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager