“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Metairie
Pullman, Washington
“Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here so much. We were in for only one night, but our flight got cancelled due to tornadoes in Texas, so we couldn't get out for another two days. We wanted to be closer to the airport our last day in New Orleans, so just booked something on Hotwire in Metairie for the one night. They accomodated us when our flight was cancelled with the same rate that another hotel had offered us which we appreciated so much. It saved us from moving to another hotel. The rooms were very nice, comfortable and the staff was very accomodating. It is in a great location, close to shopping centers, good restaurants and downtown New Orleans. The pool was not the greatest. It definetly needs some work done to it and the area around it. We did not try the restaurant. Some of the staff could use a little more training, but overall the stay was good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheraton-Metairie, General Manager at Sheraton Metairie New Orleans, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
We are happy our location was convenient for your endeavor to New Orleans. I was glad to read your remarks and see that you had a nice stay during your recent trip to our area. Our staff is who represents us and we work hard at giving attentive and friendly service. Also I am happy to inform you we have made the necessary and needed repairs to our pool and surrounding area. It was nice of you to take the time to share your comments. I hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future and we thank you for your business. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We travelled to New Orleans for a reunion and decided to stay in Metairie due to the high prices for hotel rooms in the French Quarter. We got a good rate on the Sheraton Metairie but had to pay in advance for the room. The hotel property is very conveniently located off I-10 at Causeway Blvd so you have easy access to the interstate as well as restaurants and businesses along Veterans Blvd. I thought traffic noise might be a problem but our room was very quiet.There is easy in and out access for the attached parking garage. Overall the hotel is very nice but found signs of aging, such as several stains on the carpet in our room. We also noticed a strong odor of cigarette smoke in the corridor on the 5th floor. We thought the hotel was non-smoking but we may have been wrong. Fortunately, our room was free of the smoke odor. There appeared to be a bar in the lobby but we never saw it actually open although we didn't spend a great deal of time at the hotel. There is a restaurant at the hotel but we never ate there. The staff members that we interacted with were all professional and courteous. Overall, this is a nice place to stay and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for informing us about your stay at our hotel. Many of our guests appreciate the tranquil surroundings as an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city and it’s great to know you enjoyed the accommodations as well. Our hotel is a non-smoking hotel and on occasion we have found someone smoking in a room. We do appreciate when this is brought to our attention so that we can immediately put the room out of order and do construction cleaning to the room so other guests are not bothered by the odor. Your comments regarding carpet stain are not typical and I will be sure to share them with our Executive Housekeeper. Your kind words are appreciated and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager
Manitoba
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

After staying at the Sheraton Metairie, I found that I was pleased with how bright and cheerful the hotel itself was (except for the pool, which was a wreck. Half of the tiles alongside the pool walls had fallen off, making a big mess). Our room was well kept and clean, and the lobby was very welcoming. However I was extremely displeased with the staff.

During our first night, we decided to visit the hotel restaurant (which was located in the lobby). Right from the start, I was utterly confused of what we were to do. There was no host or hostess, and the place seemed dead quiet. We took our seats to find that a very stressed looking waitress/bartender (she had those two tasks) ran over to our table, handing us the menu's. We ordered, and waited for our meals. It was after 25 minutes when our meal did not arrive, we looked around to see where the waitress was, but she had left outside to go chat with her friends and have a smoke (honestly!). At this point, I felt like leaving until the cook himself had to come out, refill our drinks and serve our meal. Around the end (nearly everyone in the restaurant left, due to the poor service), the waitress rushed back in to say her goodbyes. Overall the restaurant food was good, but the layout and staff were very poor.

I did not quite feel like I was staying at a Sheraton when in this hotel, the staff overall seemed not very helpful or polite, but the room was nice. I probably would not return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Metamorp
Hearing from our guests that their experience was not positive is truly regrettable. Providing superior service is of utmost importance and it is disappointing to learn that your experiences were anything less than that. We encourage our guests to let us know if there are any problems with their stay so that we may address the situation immediately. I assure you that I have personally spoken with the management team and reiterated how critical it is to consistently deliver the level of service that is expected at a first class Sheraton Hotel. It is our goal to create a pleasurable and enjoyable visit for our guests. Your feedback is sincerely appreciated and we hope to have the opportunity in the future to win back your trust. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Every single aspect of the stay was terrible, but the hotel looked nice and the room was fine.

Horrible unattentive service by every person that worked there. Every time someone had a chance to be addequate they let me down. It was shocking really. They need to retrain everyone there or something. Just horrible, horrible, employees.

Positives: pass to a great gym nearby while theirs is being worked on, free parking!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank davrodrg
As much as we hate to see negative comments about a past stay at our hotel, I appreciate your honesty and for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention. On behalf of me and the entire staff of our hotel, we are truly sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations during your stay. Thank you so much for your comments. The feedback will help us improve our service and product for the future. I do apologize, if my staff was less than accommodating. It is our goal to surpass all expectations as it relates to guest service. I hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future and we thank you for your business. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

We needed a hotel for an overnight stay prior to our cruise that was leaving the next day. This location worked well since it was easy to get to from the airport, and to get to the cruise terminal the next day.

We were a bit early arriving and had to wait until our room was ready (not a criticism!), however the staff made us feel very welcome and we found the lobby to be very comfortable. A number of other people had also arrived early and were in similar circumstances, including one rude individual who felt he was more important than anyone else. The situation was handled expertly by the staff who ensured that we were all treated with respect.

The room itself was very nicely appointed and comfortable. Initially we were a bit worried that there would be noise from the nearby Interstate, however I have to say that this was one of most quiet hotel rooms we had ever stayed in; some real attention to noise dampening must have been considered in the design.

We made use of the restaurant for both our dinner and breakfast the next morning and were pleased with the food. We did notice however that there did appear to be some staff shortages that might have affected the restaurant's ability to serve adequately (one couple waited quite a while and left after not being served).

We were a little dissapointed to find that WiFi is not included as part of the stay at the Hotel, but was offerred at a fairly steep price. This was mitigated somewhat by the availability of internet workstations in the lobby that were made available to patrons.

One last item of concern; we had wanted to use the outdoor pool facilities but noticed some significant damage had occurred to some of the tiles in the pool and were lying on the bottom; in our opinion the pool area probably should have been closed to aviod injury.

All in all I would still recommend the location due to it's strong points. The location is a little hard to find (the front staff was constantly answering queries on the phone from confused motorists) however once you find it your stay is likely to be peaceful and pleasant.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnnyLinux
Thank you for taking time to provide us with such an honest review of your stay at our hotel. We love knowing that our staff made you feel welcome and provided you with such a positive experience and we will definitely share your comments with them. We are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to utilize other amenities that our hotel has to offer. Also I am happy to inform you we have made the necessary and needed repairs to our pool and surrounding area. It was nice of you to take the time to share your comments. Thank you for recommending our hotel and I do hope we have the honor of you being our guest again in the very near future. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager
Guam, Mariana Islands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

After a long day of driving, my husband and I arrived at the Sheraton in Metairie just after 3:00 pm (the beginning of check-in time). I was told my room was not ready even though it was after the acceptable check-in time. When I asked when I could expect my room (or an alternate room) to be ready, I was told, "I don't know." The front desk attendant did not offer any other words; no offering of another room, no suggestion that the front desk could call me when my room was ready, or even a guess at when I might finally be able to shower and rest. Instead, I was given a short response of "I don't know." Little did I know this would be a preview of the kind of service I could expect for the remainder of my stay.

After 4:00 I called the front desk to find out if my room was ready (I didn't want to drive back only to be told again that my room was not ready.) After several minutes on hold, I was told my room was available. I dumped my luggage into my room and hopped into the shower. Just as I was exiting the shower, the door to my room opened! Luckily, I had placed the security latch across the door which caught and startled the person entering my room with a key! I immediately called the front desk to find out why someone other than room service or housekeeping had been able to enter my room! The front desk didn't know and said they would investigate and call me back. Several minutes later I was told there had been a misunderstanding and that the hotel's system had not updated yet, allowing someone else access to my room! This was quite an unnerving experience as you can imagine.

As I mentioned in my title, this hotel paid little attention to details. While the latch on my door worked (thank goodness!), the deadbolt did not latch. There was not "do not disturb" sign in my room and when I went to the front desk to get one, I received one that was ripped and had difficulty hanging on the door. There was no hair dryer or robe in my room although a co-worker had both in her room (same kind of room). My co-worker also had a shaving mirror on the wall in her bathroom (I had a patched up hole of where one used to be) and a lamp on her work desk. I did not, which was unfortunate for someone on a business trip. In addition, the quality of housekeeping was sporadic. Some days I would receive refills on toiletries; other days I'd be left with plenty of disposable Starbucks coffee cups but no coffee lids and no toilet paper or tissues. When I used the gym, I had to call the front desk for more water cups. Again, little attention to detail.

There were a few positive aspects about the hotel, however my experiences as mentioned above outweighed the positive. There is free parking, free wi-fi in the lobby (it costs money in your room), electrical outlets available on the side of the night stand, the bathroom has plenty of storage space (even in the shower), and the room has plenty of seating areas and featured curtains that really kept the room dark when used.

I travel often to the New Orleans for extended business trips, but I will certainly never make the mistake of staying here again.

Room Tip: The gym is on the fifth floor so make sure your room is away from it if you'd like a quieter exp...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank foxegurl266
Sheraton-Metairie, General Manager at Sheraton Metairie New Orleans, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback which will enhance our guest’s experience. I was saddened to hear that the service our staff provided was not up to the level of service for which we are known. Our team members undergo ongoing customer service training, to improve our service delivery. Also please be assured that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. We strive to always be at the top of our game and to take care of our guests needs at every opportunity. I hope to have an occasion to have you back as our guest so that we can show you the exemplary service each of our valued guests expect and deserve. Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback and we hope to see you again. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

If you wish to visit the Big Easy, but not stay in the 'Quarter' this is a very good choice with clean updated facility, free parking, free wifi, decent food and beverage service and value rates.
This hotel is specifically for those who are planning to drive, as there is little in walking range, but it is an ideal point for touring the city, the plantations, and the bayous of the area. We loved the easy access to the French Quarter, the Garden District, and a number of plantations and small nearby towns, but would never have attempted without a rental car.

Room Tip: Club floor is a worthy upgrade
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RovingJohnUSA
Thank you so much for your patronage and for sharing your positive experience with us. Many of our guests appreciate the tranquil surroundings as an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city and it’s great to know you enjoyed the accommodations as well. Your feedback means a lot to us and we look forward to seeing you in the future. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager