“Long Wait but Worth It”

DON'S Seafood
Ranked #16 of 517 Restaurants in Metairie
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: DON'S SEAFOOD More Than Eighty Years of Exceptional Seafood South Louisiana locals and visitors have been drawn to DON'S authentic Cajun cuisine for more than 80 years. Menu selections including traditional Landry family recipes, and more recent original creations like Zydeco Shrimp, are well worth repeat visits. Many stop in daily for oysters on the half shell or boiled crawfish in season. DON'S bartenders serve Signature Old Fashioned cocktails alongside the newest specialty drinks, many made with Louisiana products. DON'S SEAFOOD began in 1934, when Don Landry opened his first restaurant and bar in downtown Lafayette with $400 borrowed from his uncle. Prohibition had just been lifted and at only 24 years old, he envisioned serving drinks and offering a simple menu featuring fresh local seafood. Four generations later, the Landry family has expanded that humble beginning into what would eventually become the DON'S SEAFOOD of today. Continuing the tradition, the Landry family still owns and operates each location. An extensive menu of original South Louisiana Cajun family recipes, the freshest Gulf seafood and sizzling steaks is offered. Each location boasts a unique Acadiana-inspired décor, all have a full-service bar and grill, perfect for casual diners or sports enthusiasts. Every DON'S SEAFOOD grill features an open charbroiler where diners can watch exclusive dishes being prepared like DON'S Original Jacked Up OystersTM loaded with bacon, jalapenos and pepper jack cheese. Whether you're just passing through South Louisiana or live right around the corner, you'll find a DON'S SEAFOOD location near you in Lafayette, Denham Springs, Gonzales, Hammond, Covington and Metairie.
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I was amazed when I first tried to review this Don's restaurant to find that it wasn't listed by TripAdvisor. We've eaten there for more than 50 years! In other words, if you go there don't expect to find a new, modern restaurant. On our most recent visit, we had to wait the better part of an hour to get a table. Still, I have to admit that the food was worth it, as it always is. We've found over the years that it helps to ask for things you expect to get but that are not immediately put on the table. Like toasted and buttered French bread, for example, or tartar sauce. Also, the stuffed baked potato is always good. My wife likes the crabmeat au gratin, which over the years has climbed ever higher in price. If you like seafood done right, Don's is always a good place to go.

There are newer reviews for DON'S Seafood

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Everything microwaved. Fish of the day was defrosted as needed. Fresh oysters were the kind which have been microwaved to open easy. They were dry and not salty. Very bad. The shrimp Alfredo was a work of art to have so many things wrong. Shrimp were nuked tough with the pasta warm on the outside to chilly in the center. The Alfredo sauce seemed to be mostly cheese with a unique additive which allowed it not to harden at lower temperatures . We should have eaten some quality food we nuked at a Pic-A-Pack which would have been a lot better.

2  Thank island1man
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are down for catch a cruise on Monday so we were driving around and checking out the sights, we love Boudin balls and so happened to see the Sign that said Boudin balls so we pulled in we had to wait a few minutes to get table and the food was great we had the shrimp Alfredo and the 1/2 and 1/2 shrimp it's fried and etouffée and our server was Ali she made these recommendations for us

1  Thank David B
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I went for lunch on a Sunday. I didn't realize it would be so much food! I got the seafood plate/combo and I could not eat it all. Spicier than other places in the NOLA area we have eaten. Pretty good!

1  Thank jstrange1011
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have never had a bad meal here. If you want a good meal and good service - then you should find it here. It's a casual atmosphere where you could wear tennis shoes to pumps and no one would bat an eye. delicious!

Been to DON'S Seafood? Share your experiences!