Review of Morning Call

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

It's pretty hard to mess up donuts and coffee. I loved the 24 hour service and the lack of lines that you find at the competing beignet place.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nothing special”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I visited Morning Call last week for the first time. I was excited to introduce my nephew to beignets. I generally go to Cafe Du Monde when in the area but having read the reviews we decided to try both places on this trip. The location was good. The service and dining area were fine. Unfortunately the beignets were not what I expected. They were dense and chewy. Not at all like the beignets I remember from previous visits to New Orleans. They were nothing special.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank RabidVacationer
Denham Springs, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“service terrible.”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Get off your cell phone. The kitchen worker was moving like there was no tomorrow. The bathrooms had pee all over the toilets. They can not compare to Cafe` Du Monde. The music outside the door was entirely too loud.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chad L
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Absolutely The Best Beignets”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I were in Metairie for business and she read about this coffee shop that supposedly served beignets that were rated as good as Cafe Du Monde. We I resisted saying I knew they couldn’t be that good.

On our second day in Metairie my wife insisted that we try Morning Call as it was only about a mile from our hotel. We found the shop, and I was still unsure because there were not crowds standing around.

We went inside and were immediately seated and our order taken. Coffee Au Lait was quickly delivered and in short order the beignets arrived hot just out of the oil. It was a bit different than I was used to in that the beignets come without powdered sugar on them. However there is a shaker of powdered sugar on each table and you can put as much or as little as you desire.

I have been eating beignets in the New Orleans area since 1966 when I was stationed in the Air Force there and I have never has any that were as good as these. Just to make sure we went back every day we were in the area and my opinion is still the same – They are the Best!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Paul B
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stopped in for our second breakfast of the day and so glad we did. The beignets were fresh out the kitchen, still steaming. They arrive plain with poedered sugar shakers on the table, unlike Cafe du monde which are packaged in powdered sugar. It really lets you taste the homemade dough. They were light and fluffy on the inside with a good crispness outside from the frying. I like coffee with my beignets so I ordered one. I didn't pay attention to the menu and didn't realize they put milk in it already. If you don't like it like that ask for no milk. The place itself is the corner spot of a shopping center, easily missed if not really paying attention. The decor is an anachronism all its own. Its definitley old New Orleans style, with its wooden paneled mirror walls, wood spinning stools, tiny white hexagonal tiled floor, and huge metal lighted archway separating two sides of a granite countertop. It had an atmosphere that made you want to sit around and gossip about the historic stories of the city. A place where people catch a few laughs before heading out to work. Three of us split two orders of beignets, two coffees, and a chocolate milk for under $10.

• Visited April 2013