“disappointed with this visit”

Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #73 of 527 Restaurants in Metairie
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I can only review the Hibachi as that was the reason for our visit. (We did order a sashimi appetizer which was nice). Back to the hibachi - greasy and salty. Certainly not worth the cost. Hibachi chef completely lacked any personality (and no this wasn't an off night for him - we've had this guy twice before) . Forgot three orders of steamed rice. Find another hibachi restaurant.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is the best place for sushi and hibachi in the New Orleans area, hands down. The owners are actually Japanese. I would think that this would be an integral component of running a sucessful Japanese restaurant. They have a very good lunch special on Hibachi. The portions are very large and value for price paid is very good at lunch on the Hibachi Menu. I find that they have the freshest sushi in the New Orleans area! Enjoy, We have been going to this place for years and it is highly recommended!

1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed June 12, 2013

A friend wanted a hibachi dinner,so we picked Shogun based on its reviews on NOMENU.com (Tom Fitzmorris's restaurant review site). It was 6:15 on a Wednesday night. Service was disjointed (my husband's brown rice came after we had eaten dinner), (steak and chicken and shrimp) was overcooked and greasy and really pretty much flavorless. The salad was iceberg with flavorless ginger dressing and a few carrot shreds. Very disappointing. Miso soup was tasty.

The cook was charming, and made the kids laugh. However, once was more than enough.

1  Thank NOLAmom99
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Got in late.Was trying to find a place to eat.got here at 945.they sat me served me.got it to go.Excellent.They didn't want to see me walk in the door.but they were cool.sushi bar fastest I have ever seen.ill come back when I wont be rushed.Looked excellent.My few pieces of sushi were fresh and the rest looked great.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Shogun is a big restaurant separated by two dining area: Hibachi and Sushi. I was in a sushi kind of mood so with their direction, we seated ourselves near the sushi bar.

The inside of the restaurant matched the outside of the building. It was a bit dated and a little run down. It was clean but dark with poor lighting and visually not the nicest of places.

The staff was very attentive which is normally nice but it became annoying when several different people constantly stopped by the table and when they were not at the table they were stationed nearby staring at you waiting for you to need something. Bad service is one thing but being stared at while eating isn't a good feeling either.

We ordered three Maki rolls: Crawfish, Crunchy and Spicy rolls. The roll were fairly small and taste wise were just average. Nothing stood out so there is not much to say, but I did enjoyed the Crunchy Roll the most.

We also ordered the Rainbow Roll. Despite the larger price tag, it too was nothing special. However, I will say that the fish tasted fresh.

Although the sushi wasn't spectacular, it was good. It was good enough that I would be willing to come back and try the Hibachi. My only complaint would be that they just need to work on the presentation of the restaurant.