“Great food, wonderful wines & happening atmosphere!!!”
Review of Vega Tapas Cafe

Vega Tapas Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Vega Tapas Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #170 of 517 Restaurants in Metairie
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I truly dont know what two of the above people were talking about? A group of six of us went in for dinner recently and had a wonderful experience. The fried oyster salad & crabmeat salad were spectacular. The Paella de la Vega for 6 was incredible. Moorish pork, crawfish empanadas & corriander tuna were all spot on. The atmosphere was lively & energetic & happening. As was the wine selections!!!! I highly recommend Vega Tapas.

1  Thank Crawfishking
There are newer reviews for Vega Tapas Cafe

Reviewed July 21, 2010

I went here with a friend who highly recommended the place. We decided to order the “special” Egyptian five course tasting menu with wine paring, mistake number one. Our server brought out two full glasses of wine at the same time, a red and a rosé (?). She set them on the table and said “They’re both Egyptian, don’t ask me what they are because I cannot pronounce them.” Then walked away. GREAT! Was this wine for the first two courses? The whole five courses? So many questions….no server. We were finally able to ask her about the wines and she confirmed the only received two. I would have preferred half pours of four wines picked to enhance this “special” menu. We ordered extra drinks from the bar to accompany our meal as well.

She returned minuets later with some soup. No real description of the soup and she had taken our menus so we were eating blind. Also, she did not mention which wine was paired with this. This continued through dinner and we bumbled through a lackluster casserole? (cold and spongy, who knows what it was because the server dropped and ditched.) Some chicken that was actually decent, warm and moist. A lamb loaf slice? (picture meat loaf on top of rice?) It looked appetizing but we soon discovered it was crusty on the outside while dried out on the inside. No sauce was offered with this course; at this point we just want to finish and leave. Dessert was some plain yogurt, honey, and fruit that I could have made at home. As we finished our meal our server decided she wanted to be chatty. Too little, too late.

Overall, it seems the chef would have taken more pride in his food and what was called a tasting menu with an offered wine pairing. My friend was horrified at the service and food quality assuring me that last time everything was on the up and up. 120 dollars later we left hungry and annoyed. This is the last time either of us will eat there and being locals we will tell as many people as possible this horrible encounter with Vega Tapas.

Reviewed April 2, 2010

Vega is perfect for people like me who want to try a lot of different flavors! Flavors like the grilled artichokes, which are interesting in a good way, the satisfying and tender Moorish pork, and the fresh and refreshing crab salad. I have been less impressed, unfortunately, with the desserts. On the other hand, the atmosphere is romantic and comfortable and the staff is friendly.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 30, 2008

actually quite fun

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 18, 2008

order lots of different items on the menu and share...awesome food!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Vega Tapas Cafe? Share your experiences!