“Waaaaay Overpriced”
Review of Houston's - CLOSED

Houston's
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Slidell, Louisiana
“Waaaaay Overpriced”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

In a city known for good food, this New Orleans area restaurant falls way short. Not for their food, which is pretty good, but for their prices. $14 for a burger and $30 for a steak is just not priced right for the market. Seriously, I'd rather got to Bud's Broiler 3 times instead of only once at Houston's. The ambience is only slightly above an Applebees or Chillis - they have no TVs. I didn't see anything special about this place that would justify their prices. Sure, the burger I had was good, but it was not at all dressed the way it described in the menu. The only reason I had the burger was not because it was the cheapest thing on the menu, but the ONLY thing that even looked inviting. The menu was short on food and long on wine. If wine is what you want, come here. I wasn't looking for wine. I won't be dining here again. Service was ordinary.

• Visited February 2013

“Good Service and Good Food”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I hate to say that when in New Orleans/Metarie, I ordered a club sandwich, but I did. The sandwich was excellent and the bar tender offered a suggestion of a nice chardonnay to accompany the sandwich. I must say that I would not offer such accolades for a normal sandwich, but this was really good. I just sat at the bar for a late lunch enroute to the New Orleans Airport and was pleasantly surprised.

On my next trip to New Orleans and if I have the time on the way to the airport, I will return. The atmoshpere (dimmed lighting) was alluring and overall kind of fun. The restrooms were also very clean, another pet peeve of mine. This place looked well managed and well maintained.

A definite go back to place.

• Visited February 2013
Destrehan, Louisiana
“has its ups and downs”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Houston's has a nice atmosphere and a wood burning grill, but it can be a bit expensive. Here are some of its ups and downs.

Ups:
* Dimmed lighting, comfortable seating, and cool jazz add to the atmosphere.
* They have a wood burning grill. Many of their best dishes are cooked on it.
* Good (but not great) service.
* They offer you a hot moist towel after eating grilled artichoke.
* Upscale bar.
* Recommended: filet mignon, grilled exactly to your specifications.
* Recommended: kale salad

Downs:
* Parking lot is congested and shared with several other restaurants
* Crowded, with a long wait for a table on weekends. No reservations.
* The aisle next to the booths in the bar area is crowded; only one person wide.
* Almost no spice on any of the food.
* Not recommended: Caesar salad.
* Expensive (dinner for two - $150 with one appetizer, two entrees, two glasses of wine, one drink, tax and tip)

• Visited January 2013
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Best lump crab meat cakes EVER!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Went here for a business lunch. Never expected to have such an amazing foodie experience. Waiter offered their specials. we were intrigued by the lump crab meat cakes.....when they our plates arrived the cakes had no "cake", all meat! We were shocked when the bill came, $34 a plate for lunch (2 cakes), but we were glad we didn't know the price before because we would have probably not ordered this and we would have missed out on this amazing dish. Well worth the huge splurge. It felt like a seafood lovers version of an angus filet.

Visited January 2013
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
“Still a good place”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

after 12 years and It is still a good place to eat... no to acomodating for families with small children but still good service and good food

Visited November 2012