“Gumbo!!!!”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Heard from a few folks at the Company we were in town to evaluate that if we wanted good gumbo this was the place to try and wow were they right. The owner, Chef Ron Iafrate, was named as one of Louisiana's Top Chefs in 2013. Don't be turned off by the exterior and speaking of turnoffs make sure you are paying attention when you need to turnoff the main road onto the street to get here. if you miss the turn it is quite a loop around to get back in heavy traffic around dinner time. Back to the food! The waitress was great and recommended we try the Boudin Balls with Spicy mayo to start which were dark golden fried balls of sausage and rice and were absolutely delicious! For the main attraction we all went with one gumbo or another. I had the Seafood Gumbo which had crawfish, shrimp, crabmeat, okra and tomatoes with sides of Red Beans and Rice as well as Mustard Greens. I should have gotten the largest of the 3 available sized though as the Gumbo was simply amazing. Ended the night with plates of bread pudding which were presented beautifully and equally as tasty! If you want good Gumbo try out Chef Ron's!

2  Thank micknavy45

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stopped here because of Tripadvisor reviews. It was very cold as it is a small place and the door kept opening as customers entered. Not many tables. We got there a few minutes before noon and almost all the tables were full. Friendly service. Lots to choose from including 4 different gumbos on the day of our visit. Gumbo comes in 12 oz, 16 oz and 20 oz portions. We had the special which consisted of a half Po'boy (your choice of shrimp, oyster or catfish) and a 12 oz Gumbo (choice of gumbo). Very good but the Gumbo was the star. The Po'boy was good but Deanie's are better....

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I had the best time in Lousiana for my birthday in October 2013. Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop made it even better with the delicious food we ate 2 of the 3 days we were there. And yes I did taste some of the food on the 3 pictures posted below. No complaints at all. (smile)

Terri H. - Emeryville, Ca.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stopped here because of the TripAdvisor reviews and was very happy I did. Had seafood gumbo which had a nice flavor, filled with chunks of seafood and rice. Also ordered a side of red beans which were flavorful. Small place with only one server, but she was very friendly.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Since discovering my gluten and dairy allergies eating at a restaurant is much more of a chore than it use to be. Especially, if you are not eating at a chain restaurant. But, who wants a chain restaurant in Louisiana. I feared I would not be able to enjoy the LA cuisine, but Chef Ron proved that to be an unnecessary worry. From the time we walked in the staff was exceptionally helpful. I mentioned my food allergies and immediately the server fetch Chef Ron. He was so informative about the local cuisine and what I should watch out for while dining in LA. He mentioned I could eat the shrimp scampi and all I could picture was Red Lobster's puny shrimp swimming in butter. He proceeded to explain how he would prepare it. I haven't been able to eat red beans and rice since it usually contains wheat, but not Chef Ron's. We were not disappointed. The shrimp were large, firm and fresh. The flavor was wonderful. Their portions were large, so my husband who is a big shrimp lover, and I shared the shrimp scampi and red beans and rice. The Ruda22 Malbec was also fantastic. Our hotel was just a short walk away.
We highly recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank kentuckygirl22

Been to Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop? Share your experiences!