“Excellent food and Outstanding Personal Service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop

Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop
Ranked #1 of 503 Restaurants in Metairie
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edgmont, PA
“Excellent food and Outstanding Personal Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

In March, I was calling around New Orleans for reservations on Memorial Day with no success! Everyone was going to be closed. When I spoke to Chef Ron and told him our group of 8 was coming in on Memorial Day and flying out the next day, he said he would open for us!! And he did! What a treat! His gumbo was delicious and his Crawfish Etouffee was outstanding! His grilled veggies were awesome. Ron added oysters to the seafood gumbo at the request of one of our diners and it was terrific! Our group ordered a large variety of dishes and we liked every last one of them! Ron did a dessert trio for us-bread pudding (amazing), chocolate cake (killer), and pecan pie (oh, yum). We had 2 wines off of his wine list that were very good and paired very well with our meals. A Ruta 22 Malbec, and I cannot remember the other one...Both were extremely reasonably priced. We also had excellent waiters. The 2 young men serving us were knowledgeable, helpful, courteous, friendly, and good! This dining experience was a definite winner!

Fort Lauderdale
“Food is good but the Gumbo is impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I drive past Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop practically everyday and it made no sense that I never stopped in to eat, so I stopped to eat.

Even though the restaurant is referred to as a stop, despite the small size, the restaurant is suitable for comfortable dining-in. Also, the fact the Chef Ron, the chef and owner, comes out to personally greet and talk to every single guest makes it more homely than a pit stop off of the highway.

We were hungry, so we decided to order an appetizer. I have seen Boudin Balls on many menus in New Orleans but never tried them, so I finally decided to take the leap and order them. They are balls made of ground pork and seasoning and I loved them (its hard not to love freshly fried anything).

I love me some gumbo but I wanted to see what else Chef Ron offered, so I ordered the Bayou Scampi. It was full or flavor and tasty however I am not one for greasy food so that bothered me a little but honestly it is scampi so it is hard not to expect that, besides a little greasy never hurt anybody (at least until the heart attack).

My boyfriend had the Southern Fried Chicken. It was good but not great. This probably wouldn't be the best choice for this restaurant. He ordered the Jambalaya on the side. He didn't like it. It wasn't bad but just had way too much tomato and was a little overcooked for my liking.

Although I did not initially order the Gumbo, I decided to order some to take home and eat later. I choose the Mumbo Gumbo and can I say that it was so delicious and amazing. The flavoring was outstanding! I know that the proximity of the restaurant is going to make this my number one spot for gumbo.

The food at Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop is good but if you really want to be impressed please get the gumbo.

Ashburn, Virginia
“Another Great Meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

After having a fabulous meal on my last visit, I knew I had to dine here on my next time in town. I was recently in town with my brother and told him we had to eat here. We dined Saturday evening of Mother's Day weekend and I was surprised there were no other customers when we arrived, but that was not the case when we were done. Chef Ron greeted us at the door and introduced himself. We had a pleasant conversation and were told we could sit wherever we wanted.

I had the crawfish etouffe and a side of potato salad. Both were fabulous, and I was stuffed when I finished my meal. My brother had a cup of seafood gumbo and red beans & rice, with a side of jambalya. He said the gumbo was the best he's ever had. He said the red beans were really good, but not as good as what he makes at home! I took that to mean these were the best he's had in a restaurant!

Service was excellent and our server was also friendly. Chef Ron stopped and talked to us during our time in the restaurant. He also visited with other customers.

I'll be back in town in a month, and I'll be back here eating again!

Saint Francisville, Louisiana
“gumbo paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Growing up in the heart of (Cajun) southern Louisiana. I have eaten my share of gumbo... And usually in cold weather, but STOP change the Traditions, Slap your Mama.(not your mama) this is only an expression.. This "Chef Ron"s Gumbo stop. Is "POoyii" good. I had the chichen and sausage gumbo and Shrimp Poboy with a generous supply of potato salad, and brandy sauce on bread pudding... Whooo! I go help to stand and I almost "hurt myself"... (another expression for really good and hard to stop eating good).. Reasonally priced and large portions. for me a all round place to eat. Anytime of the year.

honolulu
“Best gumbo in town!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

stopped in while on an over night trip to New Orleans. This place is hard to find (next to Holiday Inn) on Causeway. It has the best gumbo I have tasted in years from a restaurant. I spent 30 years living there until Katrina forced me to relocate. I also had an oyster po boy, which was good but the gumbo was outstanding! I will certainly go back on subsequent visits to the Crescent City.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop? Share your experiences!