“great friendly place”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Gumbo was outstanding. Servings are large. Shared one order Jambalaya which was also very good. Met our expectations based on prior reviews. Service was outstanding. Chef Ron personally welcomed us. Also a great value.

There are newer reviews for Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I travel full time, eat out a lot, and am a big fan of trying hole-in-the-walls over chichi restaurants. I LOVED this place. It's unremarkable inside but the food is inexpensive and terrific. I had gumbo and fried chicken. The gumbo was the best I ever had. I may return tomorrow night with a colleague. Eat here!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

been eating gumbo all my life as a local from New Orleans and this is hands down the best I've had. on top of that the rest of the menu is out of this world. The Chef is so friendly he might just come out of the kitchen, take your order and bring your food to the table. if you are in the area its a must stop, and if you are not, take a trip you wont regret it.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We almost didn't find this place. It was recommended by a hotel staff. We had a disappointing lunch in the French Quarters where we ordered gumbo and ettouffe. I'm glad we found the restaurant because we would have missed out on the best gumbo we have ever had. The gumbo was not overly salted like we had at the other location. I don't know how Ron did it but the gumbo was so flavorful, it came in layers of buttery, veggie, good texture and underlining gravy goodness. The po boys were crunchy, fresh and good too. The staff were great too. Leave room for dessert!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Off the beaten path...actually one can see it from Causeway Blvd, but has to do a loop de loop around the Holiday Inn to get to this wonderful establishment... and well worth it! As most of the previous reviewers noted, this restaurant serves the best gumbo in Southeastern Louisiana! He, in fact, won an award for his seafood gumbo. Other scrumptious items on the menu include the boudin balls are crunchy on the outside, fluffy and flavorful on the inside. The crab cakes are brilliant! I have also ordered the blackened drum fish= delicious and tasted the crawfish etoufee= delicious. Chef Ron surpasses the locals with his cooking. He knows how to use spices, whereby the food is full of flavor and character.
The ambience is not fancy, but it is clean and quite comfortable, with some cute knick knacks and artwork, making it colorful. Every time that I have been there, the service has been great. And Chef Ron is a vivacious, inviting and genuine person. He will accommodate your requests without reserve. He seems to love his craft and has a welcoming and outgoing personality.
Thus, for excellent, Louisiana cooking, this place is place where you must dine! Having lived in Louisiana intermittently for 17 years, I have tried similar establishments in Mid City, Uptown, the Garden District etc. In fact, for decades Frankie and Johnny's was my favorite, but this one surpassed it. If I could give it 10 stars, I would. And if you're staying in the city without your own transportation, it is well worth the cab fare. There is good reason why Chef Ron was named one of the top 25 best new chefs in New Orleans!

1  Thank ProfessorOnzaga