“Great Food, Great Chef”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This place took two u-turns to get to, but it was worth it. My friend and I were on a cross country trip from N.C and had been on the road for 5 weeks. Seri listed this as a restaurant near us. It was worth the visit. Ron welcomed us. The food was excellent. If you want good gumbo, this is the place to go!

There are newer reviews for Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Another favorite spot to add to my long list of "favorites".

As I opened the door to Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop, you hear the tinkling of the bell. Immediately Chef Ron and Bree (I believe?) greeted me with a smile and a question, as to welcome a family member home - Are you hungry? - ! Well, that just sold me right there! The chef himself guided me to a table and told me to make myself comfortable! Well, thats different - and I liked it! It's as if I was home with family - eating an awesome home cooked meal.

I started off with the Mumbo Gumbo, suggested by another patron who was also in the restaurant. Well hell, if I could just stick my whole face in that bowl, I would! But alas, manners restrained me from embarrassing myself.

Next up: The Jambalaya. It indeed has a nice kick - without having you run to the nearest pitcher of water - and was quite plentiful. So much so, I had to pack the rest of it for "midnight snack" - Although it was quite tasty and good - I would of liked there to be more chicken and sausages to even out the rice portion.

BUT, the Gumbo. Past reviewers nailed it - it's that good. So good in fact, I ordered another one to go - this time, the seafood gumbo.

It was nice to actually talk with the owner and learn of what feeds his passion. I wish nothing but great success for Chef Ron and his wonderful establishment. It's truly worth seeking out, and I look forward to returning here when my travels find me back in Louisiana.

2  Thank travelwanderlust
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband is working in this area and has ate here several times. So when I came to visit the first night we had to go. The seafood gumbo is awesome! And I love that they have 3 different sizes so you can choose the size right for your appetite. Since he had been there several times they all knew him and it was a real home like experience. The building is small and please don't judge this place from the outside view - come on inside and have a great meal. Also, the menu is small - but according to my husband and his coworkers they have had almost everything on the menu and have never been disappointed.

1  Thank Beverly C
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Was dragged here by a man who knows good cooking, and not just Cajun. Chef Ron personally prepares the dishes, and is a connoisseur. The balance of spices tantalized the palate but were not overpowering. Portion sizes varied according to appetites, which is a welcome option. And if you desire, Chef Ron can add items to his dishes. Seafood Gumbo was fresh, hot, and more than adequate. It left such a pleasant after-taste that I almost got seconds. The Boudin Balls were a savory delight. I shared them w/ the gang (of four) and all were impressed. They don't look like much, similar to hush puppies, but don't be fooled. They are outstanding! The Chef's ettouffee was chock full of tasty, wholesome goodness. And this was just lunch. The dining area is tasteful & charming, not pretentious. Next time we visit, I assume (regrettably) there w/b a line, even at lunch, or reservations required. Good for him. A creative chef deserves acclaim & success.

2  Thank DaxTW
Reviewed June 21, 2012

While looking for the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway and very hungry, we happened on Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop. In a small out-of-the-way restaurant in Metairie LA run by Award Winning Chef Ron Iafrate, we were seated and served by Chef Ron himself. His gumbo is award winning and rightly so!.Several gumbos and a host of other local favorites are on the menu. My husband chose the Mumbo Gumbo and I selected the Seafood Gumbo. Not to be forgotten were the Boudin Balls that we couldn't resist as our appetizer. We had never had boudin balls and had that on our 'to do' list of Louisiana cuisine to try. We were not disappointed. When Chef Ron asked what we'd like with our gumbos, I asked if he served Hush Puppies. He said no, but he had everything he needed to make them and he would give them a try. Our gumbos were delicious and the Hush Puppies were light and crispy, more like a fritter. At the end of our meal, Chef Ron brought us fresh figs from his garden with a yummy strawberry sauce. Chef Ron has recently opened his small restaurant after 27 years in the hotel food industry. All I can say is, when word gets out about his great food, he's going to need a bigger place.

2  Thank puff99

Been to Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop? Share your experiences!