“A sore disappointment”

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Metairie
Raleigh NC
“A sore disappointment”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

As a frequent traveler and as a Marriott Gold Elite holder, I have a reasonable expectation for a Marriott. This hotel failed at that. The room was reasonable in size and comfort and we did have a lake view (paid extra for it). The full beds were too small and a disappointment as I am used to queens or king sized. They were also stiff.

I stayed here for a business trip and was sorely disappointed with this hotel.

I agree with the inconvenience of securing a pool pass (other reviewer) by having to go downstairs and then back up to the pool (9th floor) and then you have to fill out a form from the front desk to turn in at the pool. My granddaughter and wife said the pool was limited and the three lounge chairs were extremely spartan and unclean.

We stayed for four days which was three too many. At no time was my wife or I greeted by front desk personnel. The first night I was there, I hung a breakfast request card on my door ordering breakfast to be delivered at 6:00-6:15. At 6:25, 5 minutes before I had to depart, I received a call from the front desk telling me they had problems and would not be able to get my breakfast.

The second morning. I called to have my car brought to the front by the valet. There was no answer. I then went to the front desk and there was no one there. I proceeded to the valet stand and no one there either. I went back in and waited 10 more minutes and still no one at the front desk. A guy, looking like he was checking out, was also impatiently waiting. We both signed and shrugged our shoulders. I yelled "Good morning." Still no luck. He went behind the front desk and opened the door and yelled in. Finally a staff person, looking irritated, came out but no acknowledgement and no apology forthcoming. I gave her the tag for my car (now 15 minutes after arriving at the front) and she proceeded to find a valet.

There is no shuttle and nothing nearby. You are next to the Causeway entrance and that is the extinct of the scenery.

My wife also noted the poor customer service attitudes. We debated on leaving several times to return to Le Pavillion in New Orleans which is the total opposite of this hotel. There the staff constantly acknowledge you and welcome you back when you return in the evening and in some cases returning after a month. I made the mistake in staying in Metairie instead of driving the extra distance to New Orleans downtown. That won't happen again.

We did discover a great Mediterranean restaurant a few blocks away called Zozos Cafe. What a wonderful cozy place with outstanding Med food.

Room Tip: To find a good room--call another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Prestoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at this property recently while in town for my class reunion. Staff cheerfully greeted me when I checked in and I was upgraded, due to my status as Platinum Premier in Marriott Rewards, to a nice suite on the top floor of the hotel. I let the front desk clerk know that my brother and niece would be arriving the next night and asked if they could be given a room near mine. She said she would put a notation in and they would do their best.

The concierge lounge was still open the evening I arrived and had a great spread, so I didn't need to go out and find something to eat for dinner. On weekdays I was able to have breakfast in the lounge and on weekends I was told I had the option of having a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant or getting an additional 750 reward points for each morning I skipped the complimentary breakfast. I opted for the points as I had to go out for beignets! The points were added to my account in a timely manner.

My suite was quite spacious, except for the bathroom. The vanity was separate and had ample counter space, but the toilet and tub were in a room where there was barely enough room to open the door! I had a bar area with table and chairs, mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. There was a large closet with a full length mirror which was nice. The bedroom portion of the suite had the usual amenities and lots of extra space.

When my brother arrived he was given a room close to mine, so I appreciate the effort made by the staff to accommodate my request. I also appreciate that the hotel gives me stickers for my parking ticket so I don't have to pay the parking fee, which is only imposed during the week. The hotel is located on the upper floors of an office building and therefore parking during the week can be "thrilling" if you are entering/leaving the parking garage during the morning or afternoon rush! The parking garage can be a bit empty on weekends, but I've never felt unsafe. The property is a short drive from New Orleans and there are plenty of good local restaurants that are even closer.

I'll be back to town in a few weeks and will be staying here again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake have a nice view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were part of a family reunion and received reduced rates. Hotel staff was pleasant, polite and helpful. Our room was nicely decorated with pictures of historic streets in New Orleans. Luncheon buffet at the hotel's Bistreaux was tasty and reasonably priced. To our disappointment, our room was furnished with neither a refrigerator or microwave. We had failed to request them in advance. Sharon, our housekeeper was excellent--eager to meet our needs and fill our requests. The hotel provided access to washers and dryers with Tide detergent available at the front desk. A business center, supplied with two computers and printers, was also available. All in all, it was a very good experience. We would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Once arriving in my 11th floor room it was very clean, cool and spacious. You felt as though you were in a 5 star. Everything was great until around 4 AM when we were awaken by a blaring emergency fire alarm and had to evacuate. It was an unfortunate experience, but one I cant blame the staff or hotel itself. The staff were apologetic, but offered no complimentary services that I received at another brand for a similar experience. Either way, I will return.

• Stayed July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The front desk staff were not rude, but were not inviting, either. For a tourist spot such as New Orleans, I expected more. As a Marriott Rewards member, we occasionally get complimentary upgrades or even a kind acknowledgement thanking us for being a rewards member. There are a few items that contributed to my rating:
* I stayed in Room 1015. The bathrooms seemed clean, but as soon as I ran the shower, it had a terrible mildew/mold/unclean scent. When I looked at the bottom of the shower, although it LOOKED clean, it did not have the squeaky clean feel to it. It was as if housekeeping just wiped the "dirt ring" from around the shower and hung up fresh towels. In addition, a few areas of the room and bathroom are beginning to rust and need replacement.
*I went to the so called pool and it should instead be advertised as a "spa pool". I's nothing fancy and the jacuzzi is in desperate need of some cleaning. The tiles have turned brown and even the water was cloudy. Before you can go to he "pool", you must go downstairs to the ground level and ask for a pool pass each time you go to the pool on the 9th floor. SUCH A HASSLE!!!
*Lastly, we ordered some kids chix fingers, gumbo, chix wings and fries our first night from the hotel restaurant. the wings were undercooked and bleeding and looked as if the cooks had just dumped hot sauce on top of the wings. The server who gathered our meal and got it together was VERY VERY nice and i did tip her. I did not realize my wings were undercooked until I got back upstairs to my room and at this point, I was just over it. Very disappointed.
If you are okay with Fairfield, then this will be fine for you, but if you are used to Marriott service, then you may be disappointed.
*Buffet is overpriced for the 9 options you are given and stale cream cheese muffins.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a very nice hotel that is very well renovated. The rooms are very modern and well furnished. The service is good, and the staff is very friendly. As a Gold Rewards member, I am usually provided with an upgrade to a suite as well as free breakfast in the restaurant (which is not one of the better buffets that I have had).

The hotel is combined with an office building, so if you are there on a weekday, there is a lot of the office building activity. The hotel also has two gyms - one that belongs to the hotel; and the other is an athletic club in the building, which is much nicer.

While the hotel is nice, the location is very hectic. It is in a very busy location (Causeway), right before you cross over the lake. The building could be difficult to find the first time there. If you miss the turn you could end up crossing over the lake. The garage is also very confusing, as it is combined with the office building's garage. And there is a parking fee on weekdays, although I am provided with a pass by the hotel (not sure if this is standard, or just for Gold and Platinum Rewards members).

Bottom line is that you if you can get there at the busy and confusing location, the hotel is very nice and usually reasonably priced. I try to stay here every time I come to New Orleans.

Room Tip: View of the lake!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Internet service did not work, called down and they said weather was to blame even though it was clear and calm. Vending machines did not work and money was not returned. There is nowhere to purchase any items after 5pm and is not is a convenient location. Overall the room is nice but does not give the extra amenities that I'm used to with a marriott hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business