“Caught in the middle...”

New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Metairie
Tampa, Florida
“Caught in the middle...”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I like to be as positive as possible with all my reviews at the same time give readers an honest review... So lets start with the positives:

The hotel is beautiful from top to bottom. I read a review regarding the room not being up to par. We did not experience that at all. Room was large clean and spacious. The bed was almost too comfortable. I wish the bathroom was larger. Quite small for the room to be so large.

Kenneth, the front desk clerk (Usually in the a.m. shift) was fantastic! Very attentive, gave my husband and I great suggestions for 'good eats'. He had a constant smile on his face and the best part is he's very easy on the eyes (I hope my husband doesn't read this:) All jokes aside, Kenneth provides excellent service & is an asset to Marriott's team.

They have two gym facilities. The first is what you get at any hotel. It's typical. The second is 1st class. It has an indoor pool and jacuzzi that is very nice with a great view, A roof top track, basketball and tennis court (bring your own racquets). All the above is free to use but if you want to use the equipment in that gym ( treadmill, bike, weights, etc) it's going to cost you $10 per day.

They gentleman in velet parking are a hoot. Very funny guys with just the right mix of professionalism and fun. (*****There is a parking garage right across the walk way, you can park there for a fraction of the price)

There is a mall less than a mile away. Total winner!!!!!

Now the negatives:

We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant (forgot the name) twice. The customer service was horrible...twice.

Our room was not serviced by housekeeping one of the days we were there. We have no idea what happend. We spoke to Kenneth at the front desk about it and we got a complementary breakfast.

There was massive construction going on outside the hotel. It begins at 5am during the weekday. This will make you want to check out and go to another hotel. It was awful!

Being Elite Members it was disappointing that we could never catch concierge open during our stay.

Although there were a few negatives I would absolutely stay here again. I won't be considering it until after the construction project is done.

FYI Marriot - That can devastate business!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Letsgotravel23
MarriottMetairie, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. While it sounds like you enjoyed much of what the New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway has to offer from your spacious guest room to our fitness facilities, it seems we missed the mark with a few things. Providing excellent service is of utmost importance and we will bring your comments to management's attention and use this opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to each and every guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We had a wonderful 2-night stay in April, 2012, during the French Quarter Jazz Festival. Both the newly-renovated hotel room as well as the friendly, helpful staff could not have been better. We had a marvelous view of the Lake from our room. The beds were plush and comfortable, flat-screen television, hi-speed internet, business center, delicious food---everything was beyond our expectation. The staff (including the General Manager) were all extraordinarily accommodating, and went out of their way to make our stay both "special" and "memorable". We will stay here again when in New Orleans. This is one hotel which will not disappoint!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Lake have a marvelous view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
There's nothing quite like the French Quarter Jazz Festival and each year is bigger and more exciting than the year before. Your experience is one that we would hope for all of our guests when staying with us, thank you for your lovely review. The next time you are in the area, we would love to welcome you back again to the New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway.
Oklahoma
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property for Jazzfest. We arrived late (14 hour drive) and found out they had oversold. We reserved this non refundable room months in advance with the request of a king, high floor with a guaranteed view of the lake or city. We were given a king handicap room with a view of the basketball court. The room smelled bad, the carpet was frayed and worn, and the walls were scuffed up. It just seemed so dirty. I called the front desk and was told that they were overbooked and the only king available was a "suite" that would cost us an additional 15.00 per night. I asked if we could possibly trade breakfast for the additional cost to help even things out. She offered one morning for 2. We were staying 3 nights. We took the "suite" which was right around the corner same floor. So much for the view. She opened the door and it was a much larger room but the room condition was the same. Frayed carpet, scuffed up and dirty walls. I told her that it was not much better. She did offer us a double room but we did not want that. We did not reserve that. She really was unconcerned about the situation and that is understandable since they could do nothing about it. I asked if there were any other Marriott properties close by that could help us and her reply was " I don't know you are more than welcome to use the phone in the business center and call around." We accepted the room and I asked if she was a manager she said she was a supervisor and asked if I would like a manager to call and I told her I would. The manager did call almost immediately and was very nice. He apologized for the problem and did offer to move us to a nicer room when one was available. He did provide breakfast for each morning and said he would address the hair problems with housekeeping. We unpacked and I went to take a bath and the drain plug leaked and would not hold bath water for long. Our rooms keys did not work most of the time and required multiple attempts. The front desk clerk said it requires finesse to open the doors. Oh, really? There was construction going on in the lobby and outside the hotel, which was very loud. As for breakfast, exact same thing every morning and the eggs were burned to the bottom of the pan every morning. We are frequent travelers and loyal Marriott customers. I read hotel reviews before we stay anywhere and this hotel had pretty good reviews. Maybe we just had a few bad rooms but this was not a good stay for us. I have written may good reviews and always send in the hotel direct reviews. This is my first negative review.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
MarriottMetairie, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
It is disappointing when a guest leaves and feels they did not have their expectations met nor does it reflect the high standards of customer service that we set. While we never like to read that one of our guests has experienced poor service or unsatisfactory accommodations, we are always grateful for the feedback so that we may address the issues with our managers. We are truly sorry that any construction you encountered, whether at the hotel or off property, presented so many obstacles for you. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Shreveport
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I Was here on Easter weekend. This is primarily a business hotel so we were able to get a good rate. It is a clean hotel and seems to be well run. It is not really a place for children. There is a separately owned gym that is attached with an indoor pool that we were allowed to use. However, the pool was an exercise pool and not one for relaxation or sunning. I would recommend this hotel only if you have family or business around this area. There are no restaurants or shops within five blocks that I could find. The area is not conducive for walking.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MarriottMetairie, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Whether for business or pleasure, it is our goal to ensure the comfort of all of our guests. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway for the holiday weekend and found your accommodations to be clean. Thank you for your feedback.
Richmond
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great service, great accomodations, excellent breakfast at good price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
We think our guests are great! Thank you for your review and kind words about our accommodations, service and breakfast. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again to the New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway.
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I stayed overnight before leaving on a cruise. The staff was very helpful and I was given an upgrade for some reason, Great room and I had a great night sleep. I was allowed to leave my car until i returned from my cruise that saved me money.I enjoyed the breakfast the morning before i left on my cruise. Nothing but positive thoughts for this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Willie H
MarriottMetairie, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
We’re just delighted that your stay at the New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway was so wonderful. An unexpected upgrade can be such a treat and we are glad you enjoyed a restful night’s sleep as well as your breakfast the next morning. We would be thrilled to welcome you back and hope it’s soon!
Kentucky
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We spent four nights here during the Final Four at New Orleans. We ended up here because we like to stay at Marriott properties and this was the only one available when we booked in July of last year. Warning, do not stay at this property! I have never said that about a property, especially a Marriott, in my years of writing reviews. We paid special event prices for this property and were suppossed to have concierge level accommodations. What a laugh. Concierge level is 16, we were given level 11 without access to 16 until we complained. There was absolutely no acknowledgement that we were at the hotel for the tournament, unlike any other event hotel we have ever visited. Housekeeping was at best fair, front desk service was poor. We did not get our check out documents the prior evening before check out because "they were running behind". Our wake up calls were never entered correctly. I can go on and on but just a reminder. Do not stay at this property unless nothing else is available. By the way during our stay at least one of the three elevators was always "OUT OF SERVICE"

Room Tip: Stay Away From This Property
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RetiredKentucky
MarriottMetairie, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Although disappointed, we are grateful for your review and feedback. We encourage our guests to share any concerns they might have during their visit so we can tend to any issues as they arise and we regret that we were not given the opportunity to do so during your stay. We will share your comments with our management team and use this opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to each and every guest. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.