“good food, poor service”

Lager's Int'l Ale House
Ranked #52 of 525 Restaurants in Metairie
Cuisines: Pub, Grill
Description: Located across from Lakeside Mall, Lager's has been Metairie's place for fine craft beer and awesome pub fare for almost 20 years. Enjoy any of 75 fine draft beers (mostly craft and local) or 100+ bottled beers along with a full selection of cocktails. Our extensive food selection includes a wide range of appetizers, burgers, salads, chicken and fish. Our 15 TVs make Lager's the perfect place to watch the games or relax with friends either inside or on one of our two patios. Parking available at Firestone after 7pm. Sign up for the Lizard Club and get 10% back on everything you spend
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Lager's is a small, dark bar with a dizzying array of beers, many on tap. The crawfish etouffee, catfish, and nachos were all good, but the server seemed impatient and kept trying to remove our plates before we were finished.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Decent food, decent price, good service, good location.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

This is a top-notch ale house with a top-notch grill. What a great combination!

They offer a plethora of draft beers from destinations around the world as well as from premium brewers and craft brewers around the US. The indispensible "beer menu" lists them by country and - for domestics - by state. I think there are around 70-80 different varieties on tap, and well over 100 additional bottled varieties. Your favorite beer - as well as your next new discovery - is on the list. There is literally something for everyone.

The grill - believe it or not - is at the same high level of quality as the beer bar. Even if you're not drinking, the grill is worth the trip. Lager's really does have some of the best burgers you will ever tasted, cooked to your liking and decked out with top-quality cheeses, sauteed onions or mushrooms, and crisp lettuce and tomato. Actually, they offer most anything you could hope for on the best burger you can imagine. My beautiful health-conscious wife also points out that they have a great grilled chicken sandwich, and she thoroughly enjoyed her grilled chicken salad on our most recent visit. For side dishes, I don't usually recommend fries but their waffle fries are really good. Equally good are their grilled skewered veggies, highly recommended.

Bottom line: Lager's is best enjoyed when you order from both the bar and the grill.

TIP #1 - Check out the board of rotating special drafts. You will find some very fine microbrews.
TIP #2 - If something on tap interests you, ask the waitress for a free sample.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

My roommate and I are world travelers -but while most of my traveling is in the Western Hemisphere, hers is in the Eastern. I'm a veritable carnivore, she's a vegetarian. So when it comes to finding a place that both of us like to eat at for those miscellaneous holidays and birthdays, there's really only one place we go - Lager's. It has great food, a HUGE selection of beer, from all over the world, and it's cheap enough that two people on teachers salaries can afford it once in awhile.
This little pub is situated in the strangest of places -on a very busy shopping street. While the rest of the street is full of malls and parking garages, this little restaurant sticks out. It's dark wood, with railings and outdoor seating, hanging baskets all over. Parking is....fun....there's not much available right at the restaurant, but there are ample parking nearby without too much walking. You walk in, and it has the Old World feel, but with a New Orleans twist on it. Interior is classic pub -dark wood, random nicknacks on the wall, and long bars to sit at. If it's nice outside, I highly recommend sitting outside.
Now, the main attraction for my roommate and I is that this place has so many options for imported alcohol. During our travels, we've all picked up this one drink that we reminisce about, and moan about how difficult it is to find in the States. Well, Lager's probably has it. My roommate and I go there, order our drinks, and for a wonderful hour, we'll sip the drinks and remember the good ol' days. We're so nostalgic, it's impossible to get our attentions short of beating us over the head -ask the waitresses!
To make the experience just that much better, the food is excellent. Standard grill food, but made to perfection. My roommate's usual is the tuna steak burger with this sauce (I have no idea what's in it, but she raves about it, something along the lines of wasabi sauce) and sweet potato fries. I like the blackened chicken sandwich with homefries.
Most everything on the menu is under $15 (we never pay more than $10 for food). The drinks are, naturally, a little pricey for everyday, since they ARE imported, but my roommate's Thai beer is about $6 a bottle so it's reasonable.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Awesome selection of beer and nice bar layout. Food was decent, but beer is the reason to visit Lager's.

Been to Lager's Int'l Ale House? Share your experiences!