“Perfect ”

Restaurant des Familles
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant des Familles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Marrero
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bayou des Familles, a lazy waterway home to many alligators, turtles, egrets and other wildlife, takes center stage as our restaurant's design provides its diners with a natural picture show. It's in this setting where friends and family unite to experience southern Louisiana charm and culture in its finest form. It's an experience your friends and family will not soon forget. The 17-mile journey from downtown New Orleans will take you through the Jean Lafitte National Park. You'll arrive at Restaurant des Familles and park under moss-filled century old oak trees. The restaurant's Acadian-style architecture provides a glimpse of bayou life that once was. Our menu features authentic representations of Cajun and Creole favorites such as Crawfish Etouffee, Seafood & Okra Gumbo, Grilled Redfish and Turtle Soup. Our signature dish, Alligator Stuffed Mushrooms with Alligator Sauce Piquant will tempt even the most timid diner. We look forward to your visit.
NH
“Perfect ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

After a long walk in the lafitte swamp we were starving and came upon this hidden gem. Clean and welcoming, great service and food. Hubby was thrilled with his shrimp PO-boy and I loved my shrimp Caesar salad and Bloody Mary - was the perfect way to end our day.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great food and awesome service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I went here with my boyfriend and his family for lunch. It was my first time there but I will be back. We all loved the food and the drink that we ordered was good too. We encontered a couple waiters/waitress but they were all sooooo nice and attentive, I wish I remember their names. Even the hostess was friendly as soon as we walked in. The place is beautiful and located right on a small swamp with alligators in their back yard. We took a beautiful picture out on the porch. I will think at night time it is even more beautiful. I can't wait to come back here again.

• Visited October 2013
Southern California
“AMAZING!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I were planning to visit New Orleans so I checked the local restaurants on Trip Advisor before we left. Two restaurants that came up with 4-1/2 stars were Commander's Palace and Restaurant des Familles in Crown Point. We went to Restaurant des Familles, and it was AMAZING!!! We were greeted by Brooke, who happens to be the owner. What a doll she is. She is so friendly that you feel like you've known her your whole life by the time you leave. We sat by the window and what a view! We even saw an alligator.

For appetizers, we tried the oysters and crab meat au gratin that comes with toasted bread. We also tried the alligator stuffed mushrooms. I have to admit, I was really scared to try alligator. My husband took the first bite and told me it was delicious. After I heard that, I took a bite and was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I think that was my favorite item of the whole meal. The flavor was amazing. The other appetizer was very good as well.

For entrees, my husband got the catfish foster, as recommended in many reviews. He was not disappointed. It was fabulous! I ordered the crab cake barcelona. OMG. It was huge! I order crab cakes at lots of restaurants and have never, ever seen such a large serving before. It wasn't fried either. Yum!

Unfortunately, we were stuffed and there was no room left for dessert. I saw red velvet cake on the menu. Darn!

This restaurant is about 30 minutes south of New Orleans and well worth the drive. I urge you to try this restaurant the next time you are anywhere nearby. You will not be disappointed. The prices are great, the view is amazing, the service is top notch (our server was Tori and she was very attentive), and Brooke is friendly and very helpful with the menu.

By the way, we went to Commander's Palace a few days later and enjoyed everything about Restaurant des Familles so much more. If I could only choose one restaurant to eat at while in New Orleans, I would pick Restaurant des Familles! It is an incredible restaurant in every way!

• Visited September 2013
Rockwall, Texas
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Restaurant Des Families is a must for us every time we visit family in the New Orleans area. The food has been consistently great from the pre-Katrina time to now. This includes a change in ownership. The service is always very friendly, and the view of Bayou Coquille is great.

Visited August 2013
Barataria, Louisiana
“Good service. Food ok.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Wife had redfish, and it had a stong fishy taste. I had the stuffed flounder and it was ok. The service was good, and the atmosphere was good.

• Visited August 2013