“Our guide Edward made this tour great.”

Jean Lafitte Swamp Tours
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Marrero
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our guide Edward made this tour great.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was mine and my wife's first trip to Nola. We decided to do an airboat tour with Jean Lafitte. We are very happy we did. Our guide was great (Thanks Edward C) and the tour itself was exciting and entertaining. I definitely recommend this outfit!

Visited April 2013

Dousman, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very happy with the tour”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This tour was well worth the cost. We found a $5 off coupon online so for a family of 4 it cost us $72. Our tour guide was full of information and did a great job of guiding us to all the alligators that were out.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Now Entering Gator Country - A Fun Tour of the Swamp!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I took a great swamp tour with Jean Lafitte Swamp Tours during my vacation to New Orleans last week.

I booked a "Swamp/Bayou" tour through Viator.com. The tour operator ended up being Gray Line, and the swamp tour itself was operated by Jean Lafitte Swamp Tours. So here I am.

Our group gathered at 10:00am at Gray Line's Lighthouse adjacent to Jackson Square in NOLA, where we loaded onto an air-conditioned coach bus that took us the 35-45 minutes out to Marrero, LA where we turned into Jean Lafitte Swamp Tours.

The property isn't much to look at. There's a small office building and an outdoor "gift shop" area, plus clean bathrooms and a picnic area. Several cages are scattered on the property and inside you may find some baby alligators, a nutria (swamp rat) and a turtle or two. Located off to the side in the swamp are several docks, each with a boat waiting for passengers.

We had arrived at the swamp at around 10:40 or so, and apparently our boat wasn't scheduled to leave until 11:00am. Note that while you may arrive on a scheduled tour that left NOLA at, say, 10am - your boat will leave on the swamp tour's schedule. This is because they wait until the last possible minute for other people to show up. We had two big families that came on their own who joined our boat.

The boat itself is fairly big. There's benches along the sides and double benches running down the center. There were about 35 people on the boat, ranging from the elderly to babies, and everyone fit comfortably. Each boat has a restroom on board, but I suspect it's little more than a closet with an RV toilet or something. I wasn't brave enough to poke my head in. There's a roof over the boat, too - which helped as it drizzled during our tour and we all stayed nice and dry. Each boat has small bags of chips and sodas for sale, and they're fairly aggressive at reminding you that they're available.

Captain Jason took us into the swamp, and it didn't take long for him to point out our first alligator. As we went into different sections of the swamps, he spotted various gators that he's been seeing for years. An amazing thing is when he whistles through the boat's PA system and the gators actually respond and swim towards the boat! You'd think they liked posing for photos or something...

We also saw a replica of a Trapper's Cabin built on the banks of the swamp. Captain Jason also pointed out a particular section of the waterway that had a cabin built on it for a movie shoot, and told us the different films and commercials that have been filmed in the swamp too.

On the way back to the docks, he pulled out a baby alligator and taped its mouth shut so we could pass it around and take pictures. A highlight of the tour was when the 80+ year old British woman who could barely see any of the gators in the water ran right up to hold the baby gator for a photo.

All in all, this was a fun tour, and worth leaving New Orleans for. I'm glad I took it, because it gave me a chance to see beyond the French Quarter and see more of Louisiana. Plus, I have plenty of photos of alligators to add to my albums.

Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best choice of all the tours!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My fiancé and I took the 10:00am covered boat swamp tour on Thursday, March 28th.
We had Captain Jason, who was absolutely fantastic. He was so nice and funny and knowledgeable and assured us all very early on that we would see plenty of gators. Our boat was not an airboat, but the slower boat with the cover over top which was really nice and relaxing.
We saw probably a dozen alligators, with two of them being over 10 feet long (amazing!) and most were up out of the water on the banks. We also saw a Nutria. Jason stopped so we could see every one as close as we could and taught us all about them. He explained that this was a good time to see them because they are out sunning themselves warming up from the winter but they aren't eating yet so they're not doing a lot of swimming and looking for food. He also showed us in the swamp where several movies have been filmed in the last few years.
At the end, we got to pass around the baby alligator which was such a highlight not only of the tour, but of our whole trip. He let us pass him around and take photos and take our time with it.
We researched several tour companies and found that this was the best price. We paid $39 per person which included the tour and them picking us up right at our hotel in New Orleans and taking us back after the tour (about a half hour bus ride from the business district, including picking some other passengers up on the way). I believe that this park is a more human-controlled environment than the other swamp tours, so we had a more likely chance of seeing this many gators. We read that some people looked at this as less of a natural experience, but in our opinion the bayou is the bayou (it all looks the same, I assure you) and we preferred a guaranteed sighting rather than spending an hour and a half risking seeing none and floating on the swamp for nothing. We were not disappointed!
I would highly recommend Jean Lafittte Swamp tours!

1 Thank Alexikat
Columbus, Ohio
“Great experience! Wheelchair-friendly tour boat fun!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We took the Jean Lafitte Swamp tour this week. A shuttle bus picked us up at the Jax Brewery Building (close to the Natchez Steamboat) and delivered us to our captain Jason. The boat was comfortable (wooden benches) with lots of room to walk around. Captain Jason promised us gators and he really delivered. The ride was very calm, with Jason telling us some interesting things about what we were looking at. He knew where to look for the gators even before any of us could find them. He was very patient, making sure everyone had taken enough pictures before moving on. At the end of the tour, he got out his own personal gator and let everyone hold him.

Snacks were available on board. As we were traveling with our disabled son, we especially appreciated the stability of the ride as well as the restroom on board.

After the tour, we were met promptly by our bus, which delivered us right back to the Jaxon Brewery. SO MUCH FUN!