“It's just OK”

Paragon Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Marksville
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed in the North tower, a long walk from the lobby. When I first arrived and walked in, the smell of smoke is everywhere, even in our non-smoking room. The room was nice enough, but the people next door had their tv on loud, could hear them talking, screaming kids running amuck in the room and down the hallway. I called to complain, it's 10pm at night and wanted peace and quiet. The security officer told them to keep the noise down, but the family did not. For an hour it continued to be loud and security must have come by at least 3 times. They should have kicked them out. Legends steak house was pricey, the fish dish was not very seasoned and dry. The smell of smoke is all in the restaurant. I would suggest eating out to escape the smoke! A HORRIBLE experience......

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Junebug15

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed overnight during mardi gras holiday. Reserved non smoking room. Desk clerk gave me a smoking room in the north tower. She did not tell me it was a smoking room. The place was filled with children running around unsupervised. Security guards ignore the excessive noise & children.

Room was very outdated. I suggest that housekeeping use bleach. The shower & bath tub was filled with gross hard water stains. You spend loads of cash gambling & they charge $5 daily for Internet. Will not stay again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in North tower until it is remodeled.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JAGG J
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Was unhappy at first. Arrived to the cabin across the street from the casino and thought I will have no fun. I have the kid with me. Little did I know what was in store. Went to the casino to just look, went inside and was advised they have a daycare. All I can say is Kids Quest saved my trip. My daughter was excited and wanted to play so I was able to play and Won on the money they give you to play with . So I say go. It's kid friendly and not too expensive.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank C N
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Dear Paragon Casino Resorts,
I want to congratulate your staff on giving my 65 year old wife and myself a 35th wedding anniversary escape that we will never forget. We have been going to your casino and staying only a single night due to my work schedule and the fact that we live 2 hrs away, but to celebrate, we decided to stay for 2 nights on Feb 12th and 13th as our anniversary was on the 10th and I had to be back at work on the 15th.
I made reservations in January and requested an interior atrium queen smoking as my wife’s 58 year old sister would be driving in from New Orleans area and staying with us for our 35th wedding anniversary. I reserved this with my credit card. After confirming my reservation with room type and number of adults, I was told that I may receive a comp offer before our arrival date as February newsletter had not gone out , to which I replied that if I did it would be good, but it didn’t matter.
On arrival of the 12th at 12:15pm after driving 2 ½ hrs through the sleet and ice, I approached the front desk and was told that my requested room was not yet available because it had not been cleaned. I told her that was not a problem, but that I wanted to let them know that I was here due to the weather. She told me that 1) the room was to be comped and 2) that she would preregister me. I was delighted and gave my coupon to her, signed the registration card and coupon offer along with my credit card which she swiped for incidentals. She told me that my assigned/requested room 3140 (which I noted on the registration card) should be ready soon and to check back around 2pm.
At 2:20pm I approached the front desk and spoke to another associate as the first lady I spoke with was with another guest. I showed her my ID and she pulled my registration card. She then informed me that we had been upgraded to an executive suite. I was overjoyed, as I had never imagined this happening. I then asked for the 3 keys.
I was then told that the suite was only a king with one bed. Deflated, I told her that it was alright, I’d just stay in the atrium queen. I was then told it was no longer available and that someone else was now in that room. I was instructed to go to vip check in.
At vip check in I was told that because I refused the suite upgrade, they would put me in room 1133. I told them that I had already preregistered at the front desk. I was then told that according to the system, I had not even checked in yet and that my card had not been swiped, although I saw it being done. I then told them who I had checked in with. The vip associate left the room, then returned stating that no one at the front desk had any idea of my registration and I was probably mistaken.
I explained that my wife had fallen and broken her leg near the hip bone and been undergoing physical therapy for over 6 months and that room 1133 was about as far a walk as you could get and still be inside the hotel. I was then told to come back at 4pm and they would get us closer and more than likely into the “center area”, but maybe an outward facing room with 2 beds because at 4pm they would cancel any non-guaranteed reservations. I left to tell my wife that due to the weather, housekeeping was running behind, but that I was told to come back at 4pm.
At 3:30pm I returned to vip check in and patiently waited until 4pm to check on the change of rooms. I listened as several guests during the 30 minute wait came to check in with coupons and stating that they were in the atrium as well as other areas. At 4pm I asked the associate if they had cleared the non-guaranteed reservations or cancellations. I was then told that I already had a room and that was the best they could do. I reminded her of my previous visit of 2 hrs earlier when I was told that at 4pm, reservations would be cleared and with the weather, I would figure at least something closer or better would have become available.
She then told me that they did not clear any reservations at 4pm. I was also told that when I accepted the comp room voucher, I gave up all rights of getting anything other than where I was placed in and that I could take that room or cancel my reservation as many other people were without electricity and would gladly take it.
Not only does room 1133 have a long walk to get to for someone that has recently gotten out of a wheelchair/then walker/then cane, but it has a burnt light in the bathroom, a broken coffee pot lid, no exhaust fan , no hand rail in the bath ,and no cell phone reception. It does have thin walls and ceilings, unless 400 pound gorillas were placed in the room above.
If you have no intentions of “working with a guest”, I’d suggest you refrain from having them wait 2 hours before you tell them take it or leave it.
Needless to say, we will not forget this anniversary get away. Nor will her sister that drove in from the New Orleans area.
I know that my trips over there averaging once every other month for 2 years do not add up to much for you, but as a Sapphire member with over 13,000 point, I expected a little better.
My time and money will be better spent at L’Auberge in Lake Charles which is less than an hour away. At least if I need to, I know that I can cancel my reservation and be home in an hour. I only go to L’Auberge an average of 4 times a year, but at least I have an assigned casino host that will work with me.
As a side note, I would suggest putting a disclaimer on your room voucher to use at your own risk as you have no say in what or where you may end up in.

Room Tip: All rooms are a long way from food venues - South Tower are old - North Towers mainly families - Int...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Alan K
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I went for a quick getaway for our anniversary on 3/8/2014.

Room
1. Room at $152 for a Southtower room way way way way overpriced.
(I should have booked a room at one of the Miss Gulf Coast Casino's better rooms for the price.)
2. You can hear the doors slam they are loud, rooms are outdated, and I ordered a now in theater movie which stopped playing 1/2 thru the movie. I was still charged for the movie.
3. For a non smoking room it smelled like it was heavily smoked in should have left when we got there.
4. Basically a low level Quality Inn Hotel which cost $152 a night.

4.. Went to Legends Steak House
(Get this you have to make reservations to eat that overprice food what a joke)
We had the Scallions for appetizer which was good.
Mixed drinks were fair.
Don't get the redsnapper not seasoned, bland, almost tasted like Wal-Mart pre packaged fish it was not worth the money.
I paid $135 with tip for a meal for two which if the foods good I don't mind.
This meal was horrible and I basically threw my money away.
5. Tried to get in the breakfast buffet the next morning and it took 25 minutes to get 5 people through the line. The lady checking people in was rude.
I gave up and went down the road to eat on the way home.

This is a low level casino that is way overpriced.
I should have went to the Beau Rivage or Hard Rock in Boloxi, MS

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel if you want a clean non smoking room. They have a nice Hampton Inn acr...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jlsch1
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Average hotel experience, very dated decor, no pool experience like other Louisiana casinos, weirdly inaccessible for Texans, average casino experience and too far to return. We did enjoy the "Kansas" concert. Forget the breakfast buffet it was very stale food, very unappetizing (even though it was comped).

Room Tip: Maybe the Atrium rooms? We requested a "pool view" and I think the staff are still laughin...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank badflamingo
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at the Paragon for a business conference. I have stayed here before and I know that the Atrium rooms are nicer. The room was super nice. Since it was a business conference, I had to go through the casino to get to my meetings. That is really the only negative for me. It's a long walk to the meeting rooms and if you don't smoke or gamble it makes the walk even worse. Other than that, my stay was pleasant and the buffet food is really good.

Room Tip: Get an Atrium room, they cost more but it's worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank cyndyhe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marksville
Howard Johnson Bunkie LA
Fairfield Inn & Suites Alexandria
Hampton Inn & Suites Marksville

Been to Paragon Casino Resort? Share your experiences!