“Best place to dine in Avoyelles and Rapides Parish”
Review of Red River Grill - CLOSED

Red River Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Service and food are great here! A must if you are looking for great food….bar is great if you aren't looking to eat…Redfish and Oysters Bienville are a must try!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My colleagues and I have been coming to central Louisiana for a couple of years on business and are always on the lookout for good restaurants that don't serve just the typical fried everything. The Red River Grill fit the bill; we're kicking ourselves for not coming here sooner.

The food was excellent, including appetizers consisting of a tasty gumbo and a special of brie-stuffed dates wrapped in bacon. Our fish and crab cake dishes from the main menu were well prepared with just the right amount of seasoning, and accompanied by fresh green beans al dente.

Our servers were friendly and attentive; we were even comped a couple of desserts for no reason other than our presence. They were good, though not phenomenal.

The prices were reasonable, with entrees ranging from about $20 to $37 for an elk dish. We'll definitely be going back, even if it is a good 35 minutes from our work base.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I enjoyed a meal last night at the Red River Grill. It's on the quiet Square of Marksville, and you might wonder if it or anything else is opened, but it is. I started with the Oysters Trio, which is two each of Bienville, Rockefeller, and Orleans. All very tasty, and the Oysters Orleans were especially tasty. This appetizer would be better split between two (or three) people. The gin martini was "liberally" poured. The redfish Avoyelles has a light creamy seafood topping, and the fish was lightly breaded, flaky, and tender.

Pricey? Not for the atmosphere, menu choices, food quality, and service. Oh, I had the bread pudding which is different than most. It was more like a white cake. Can't quite describe, but I recommend it.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were famished after a long night partying with friends at the Casino spending the night at the Casino Hotel & enjoyed a very nice Seafood late brunch.
Very good Wait Staff, attentive & nice.
Large portions of above average Seafood.
We have eaten at the Red River Grill a 1/2 dozen times & it is always interesting & a pleasant experience.

Read previous reviews concerning price - best I can say to that is if you desire Seafood & want cheap - go to a fried Catfish Restaurant or order a Filet of Fish at McDonalds.

Where not in the class of outstanding Seafood places that you rarely discover, the Red River Grill is above average.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've been to the Red River Grille 4 or 5 times, but have not been in a few years. It's always been really good, but I was a little disappointed last night. My wife and I went for a date night. Restaurant is always attractive, clean, and energetic, as it was last night. We were seated promptly and our waitress gave us a table in a relatively quiet corner. We ordered some wine. Pay attention: REASONABLY PRICED, WELL CHOSEN WINE LIST. This is reason enough to go there. How often do you see that? (Almost never) My appetizer was the Oysters Rockefeller. The spinach topping in the Rockefeller was excellent, but the oysters were so small it was hard to tell they were there. My wife had broiled crab claws and I thought they were OK but she felt they sat around after they were prepared. Then it took forever for our entrees to arrive. I hate to be rushed when I go out, but there is a point where it's too much. Our waitress explained that there was a table for 17 and this was the cause. Sorry, the food still has to come out fresh and in a reasonable time. My wife's soft shell crab was excellent. I had mahi mahi topped with a scallop and a soft shell crab. Again, the soft shell crab was excellent, but the fish was a little overcooked. Maybe the kitchen was overwhelmed. Anyway, based on my past experiences, I shall give it another try. Their menu is very interesting and not a cookie cutter replica of everyone else's.