“Excellent gastro-pub food”

The Gamekeepers
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I'm not sure if they think of themselves as a gastro-pub but The Gamekeepers serves food well outside the range of normal pub fare.

We went as a family group, six adults and three baby granddaughters, and the menu had more than enough options to keep everybody happy. Everything was very well cooked and we were all very happy with what we had. I had "Wild garlic soup" to start with and it was I think the best I have ever had. For the main course a had the "Pave of beef" cooked blue and it was top notch meat very well cooked. The chunky chips were brilliant! The cheese board I had for dessert (I was hungry) had 3 lovely local cheeses. The wine we had, a Chablis and a Beaujolais, were very good.

I was very impressed with the host who knew his menu to the last detail and was enthusiastic about the food. The waitresses were friendly, helpful and efficient. The room is a typical old English pub, low beams and horse brasses and it's all tucked away up a narrow lane in a typical Hampshire village. So all in all a great venue.

What would I improve? I think the only thing that could be better for an establishment of this type is the wine list which is a bit limited. A good independent wine merchant could help.

I see that others have said that it is expensive. I think that depends on what you are comparing it with! It is certainly more expensive than regular pub food but it is very much better than that. For what you get, the quality of the ingredients and of the cooking, I think it is reasonable value.

So all in all a very clear and strong recommendation for anyone in the area.

1  Thank Covenant

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was our first time here after a recommendation from local friends and we weren't disappointed with the quality of the food. It's a traditional British pub, and the interior is a little dark (although this would be a cosy haven on a cold day) and the garden looked like a pleasant place for lunch had the weather been warmer. The landlord makes a point of talking everyone through the menu, and we saw the lengths the staff went to accommodate a fussy family on the next table with changes to the dishes. We stuck to the menu and shared the pork and beef meatballs as a starter, followed by the venison and the neck of lamb. Dessert was a warm chocolate brownie, and apple and rhubarb crumble. Everything was cooked to perfection; moist, juicy meatballs, lamb that fell apart in a fantastic Guinness gravy and perfectly rare venison. The desserts were fabulous too, and every plate left the table wiped clean. The only thing that stops this being a regular haunt is the fact that it's expensive - £85.31 for two, with a pint of beer and 2 soft drinks puts this in the 'special occasion' category, but it's excellent quality food with few local competitors.

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This is the best PUB I ever visited. Phill always welcomes us with a smile and the food is amazing. Not good for vegies though. Excelent food, good beer, a gourmet experience. Not the common PUB where all the menus are the same. Recomend it. Petty can't do it every day.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Buildings and surroundings idyllic. Hoste very welcoming, informative and knowledgeable about his produce and menu. Unfortunately there were two vegetarians in the party and the selection was poor. We asked if the salad came with rocket and was assured that it didn't have too but when it arrived it was full of it. We were told the salad was premixed and the chef had done his best but it obviously came in a packet and was just dumped on the plate. The rest of the goats cheese salad was very poor and rather overpriced for the contents of the dish. Mussels was on offer but came just as they were with no bread or frites, very poor for a main course. The meat eaters fared better but their dishes too were very light on vegetables. We were given free coffees to compensate for rocket incident but I feel more could be done to accommodate non meat eaters especially considering the prices charged. Very accommodating for a small child.

7  Thank gjbenmo
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I visited The Gamekeepers on a quiet midweek evening in March. The welcome was warm and the landlord was both exuberant and very knowledgeable about his menu. The beer was well looked after and the food was delicious.
The courses were well paced, and every component was cooked very well. It was a very enjoyable evening, and while I would not say it was poor value, it was definitely at the top end of the expensive side for an establishment at this level.