“Family Dinner”

Not your Mama's Cafe and Tavern
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Livonia
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

When I am in town I make it a point to eat here. I have always had great service and food. They have a nice selection of craft beers on tap and bottles. The food is great and have some nice specials. Thanks again for making our dinner a great one!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 17, 2018

The food is good, and the prices are a bit on the expensive side. What makes this place a deal breaker is the unreasonable amount of time that one must wait for their food. I know that they say they make fresh from scratch, but 2-3 hour wait times to get one's order on a slow night is unacceptable. Busy nights are even longer. These long wait times are the norm for the 10+ times I have been Shanghaied by friends and family to go here over the years. If they could do something about the wait times this would be a top notch restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2018
Stephanie E, Owner at Not your Mama's Cafe and Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Hello,
thank you for taking the time to review us and providing us with your feedback. I would like to apologize that you experienced a wait, as we do train our employees to be as timely as possible. We hope that you can give us another chance in the future so we can redeem ourselves in your eyes!

Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

Located on Hwy 190, it will creep up on you if you’re not looking out for it. We stopped here on the way to Baton Rouge, and again on the way back home to central Louisiana.

One trip we ordered an appetizer of onion rings, and my husband and I both ordered po-boy sandwiches.

The onion rings were huge, tender, and fresh; the appetizer could have easily fed 4 people, maybe even 6. They were very good, but a little on the mild side.

My fried catfish po-boy was big, well fried, though too mild for me - I would’ve like a little spicy kick to it. The bread was excellent and fresh, with toppings of lettuce mayo and tomato.

I wish I would’ve taken food pics of our first visit there. I ordered the Slap Ya Mama Chicken dish, and my husband ordered the Chicken Parmesan. I didn’t taste his, but it was the biggest order of Chicken Parm I’ve ever seen in my life! It looked delicious- and did I mention huge?!

The Slap Ya Mama Chicken dish was very large, as well, and full of flavor. A generous bed of rice was covered with lots of mushrooms, crawfish etouffe (a spicy, creamy sauce with nuggets of crawfish), grilled chicken, and cheese. Great Cajun flavor .

As you are seated, you are served these yummy, yeasty rolls that seemed like a cross between biscuits and yeast rolls. Delish!

We were way too full to order dessert, but I took a picture of their beautiful display case of desserts. When we were there, they were serving GIANT pieces of chocolate cake with fudgy frosting, and huge cookies. My mouth watered just looking at them, but my tummy said, “ain’t noooo way”.

The atmosphere of the restaurant looks like old barn pieces, and is very charming.

This is a good stop, but be ready to bring home doggie bags

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 10, 2018

Great restaurant and bar! The food is delicious, and the atmosphere is great! The staff is very friendly. If you like great food and a relaxing atmosphere, this is the place to be!! And don’t forget to leave room for dessert!!

Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

We had not stopped here for the past 2 to 3 years due to poor service in the past. We were traveling by and decided to give it another try. We stopped for lunch...arrived at 12:15. There were a couple of large tables of guests and maybe 5 more tables of 2 to 4 people.....about 1/4 capacity. We waited 10 minutes for our waiter. When he came to our table, he asked if we wanted appetizers. We said no, we wanted to order main course. He was not prepared for an order so he left and came back in a few more minutes! We ordered main course along with side salads. In 15 minutes, we finally got our side salad....excellent blue cheese crumbles and dressing. We then waited 40 minutes for our main course. The food was excellent but 65 minutes from time we walked in before receiving our food was ridiculous! Waiter then brought our check after another wait. After 10 more minutes, I have up and went to the counter. After 15 minutes, he finally came to take my payment. There was a line of people behind me who had given up waiting to pay their waiter and also came to counter. In summary, the food was excellent but taking 90+ minutes for the experience was again part of the issue of why we said we would never stop again. I will wait to eat next trip when we arrive New Orleans and spend 90 minutes of my time at a fine dining experience.