“Anniversary Treat”

Ranked #1 of 2 Leesville B&B and Inns
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Anniversary Treat”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I had planned to visit a big city for our 25th anniversary, but between the rainy weather and stress of the holiday, we decided to stay near home. We had heard of the Booker-Lewis house but had never been there. What a wonderful surprise! We stayed in the Ward House in Mikki's room. The room has a plush, comfortable bed, attached bath, wood floors, refrigerator. It was very clean. The decor is kept to a minimum-comforting green colored walls with just one or two pictures on the wall. There is a pub downstairs, but it was closed that night, so it might be noisier on nights it's open. Many local restaurants were closed, so we brought a picnic dinner and ate in the room. Breakfast the next morning was scrumptious! I had waffles with fresh cream and strawberries, fresh squeezed orange juice, and my husband had an omelet that he raved about. The food was so good that we drove back that night for dinner.
One thing to note is that in the booklet of info about the room, it was mentioned that a make-up remover wipe was in the room to be used so that the towels wouldn't get stained. The make-up wipe was more of a moist towelette, so when we stay again, I'll bring my own. I highly recommend this boutique hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Dilly3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Happened to be in Leesville and needed a place to stay, found this though our GPS, called and got the Jacuzzi room in the main house. Staff was welcoming and nice. The price was reasonable ($99) this included choices from the breakfast menu and 2 free drink tokens for the pub in their other house next door. Pub menu had some appetizers and a few main courses, but pricy. Breakfast had so many delicious homemade choices it was hard to decide. Room was comfy and spacious. Would stay here again if in Leesville.

Room Tip: Ask for the Jacuzzi room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank wolfeee99
Booker-Lewis, Manager at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for the great review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay & that your gps sent you our way! We are getting new appetizers very soon that are more fitting for the pub. We look forward to seeing you if you're ever in the Leesville/Ft.Polk area again!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I recently stayed at the Booker-Lewis house when my mom, sister, and I visited Fort Polk to welcome my brother home from Afghanistan. I absolutely loved it!! I stayed in Callie's room and it was beautiful..I loved the old charm the house and room had..The staff was very friendly and welcoming..The breakfast was awesome!! I would definitely recommend staying here :-)

PS. Just a heads up.. I guess the only con would be that the house is located by a busy train track and the trains go by through out the night..I don't mind trains so it didn't really bug me..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank scoobies
First, a thank you to your brother for his service to our country. We are happy that you enjoyed your time here at our establishment. Callie's room is a favorite among many of our guests.... the charm of the room is indeed wonderful. We hope to see you again!
o
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Have not stayed at the main house but if you want a good night's rest, dont stay at the Ward House. The pub is supposed to close at 10 during the week but party outside on patio didnt die down until midnight and that was after a call to the bartender at 11:30. The party goers werent even guests at the house.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank t c
We apologize for your experience with the Ward House & Pub. This shouldn't have ever happened. We have since been more strict with the pub's policy on noise and time to prevent any disruptions for our guests staying with us.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I happened onto this place tby chance hrough the Internet, worried that I'd been unable to find a single hotel room in this area near Fort Polk, La. I was hesitant about staying in a B&B for business, but it turned out to be a wonderful experience. The lodging is comfortable with tremendous attention to detail, and I was able to sit on the wrap-around porch in the evenings, plugging in my laptop and getting free wireless. The most pleasant surprise was the food. Wow! Breakfasts and dinners alike were a gourmet feast -- something I'd never have expected in this tiny town. I spent three nights at the inn, and never ate anywhere else. This little hidden jem is definitely worth checking out.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Deebee29494
CA & NM
Reviewed April 21, 2009

The only place we will ever consider staying in Leesville. Great room, staff, and atmosphere. We travel a lot, but this was as comfortable as being at home.
J R & Karen Willis, Alameda,CA & Albuquerque, NM

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jrwlobo
sampsonman75
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I really enjoyed everything - food, people, etc. When I am in this area again I know where to stay!

• Liked — food, service, quality of property
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sampsonman75