“Best Value for Price”

Cajun Pride Swamp Tours
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in LaPlace
More attraction details
Owner description: Cajun Pride Swamp Tours is a wildlife refuge just 25 miles from New Orleans. Our privately owned swamp ensures that your narrated tour will not be disturbed by other boats. We will take you back to the early days of Louisiana bayou swamp explorations while learning about the life and habits of the American Alligator. Experience up-close, the inhabitants of our swamp and unique history of the Cajun town of Frenier within the Manchac Swamp.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We visited New Orleans this past weekend and did the Cajun Pride Swamp Tour on a Saturday. As the weather was warming up, we saw plenty of alligators. We saw the racoons (very tame and accustomed to swamp boats and marsh mellows), a very small snake on a low-hanging tree branch, an armadillo, and plenty of swamp birds. We also saw some deer hunters. The bayou is privately owned and exclusive to this tour company. The tour does a good job of providing history information as well as a thorough amount of wildlife information.

We researched many other swamp tour companies and this one definitely has the best deal based on price. The shuttle picked us up early which was great as we were in the area. Our shuttle was full with 13 passengers from all over. The shuttle driver was very comical (Ceasar) and we had a great time talking about New Orleans.

We did do a combined plantation tour too at the Oak Alley Plantation. The tour is very nice and the plantation itself and grounds for this plantation are very picturesque. However, we were told by our shuttle driver, Ceasar, that the Laura Plantation has a much better history story. We will definitely visit Laura when we go back.

I think this company best suits travelers who are very easy going and focused on having a great time. If you consider yourself a "high-maintenance" or uptight person where everything needs to be perfect, then use a company that has more private accommodations. And you will pay twice as much in some instances.

All-in-all, great company with great information and services.

1  Thank Scott S

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I knew the time of year we were going there was a good chance we wouldn't see much but we did see a few alligators and the family of raccoons that they feed, the only other wildlife was an osprey and a couple of turtles. There were no snakes (but I was OK with that). The guide told some colorful stories and made it entertaining. Holding the alligator was fun too.

1  Thank Nikko1117
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very down home and up close look at the Louisiana swamp - I'd recommend it although I would rather it was a little shorter. After a while the sign of a gator becomes less of a thrill. But the guide, Captain Al, was amazing and colorful and told great stories about growing up in the swamp, ghost stories and 'black storm' stories,and even let us pet his little gator friend!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Chose this tour because of all the great reviews on this site. Booked the tour with transportation. Our pickup was supposed to be between 8-8:30 am, we got picked up closer to 9pm. The shuttle driver provides a bit of a tour on the way to the swamp, very knowledgeable and funny as most people seem to be in NOLA. When you arrive at the swamp you check in at the office, use the bathroom if you need and then board the boat. Only one mosquito bite so that was pretty good. It was a cool day so there weren't that many alligators out but we probably saw about 10 through the tour. Didn't get to see the really big gator but what can you do with wild animals. I was little disappointed that there wasn't any chicken feeding like I have seen in some of the pictures. We tried once but no bites. The tour was nice and relaxing, they drive you up and down the waterways to different spots. It's a very large private swamp. A baby gator was pulled out of nowhere mid-way through the tour, her name was Claudine. Gators are far softer than one would anticipate. I felt kind of bad for the gator since it came out of a box and got passed around like a new baby but it is certainly an experience. My only real complaint about this tour was that they make a habit of feeding the raccoons mashmallows. They come to the edge of the water looking like dogs who hear the cookie jar. They follow the boat as long as they can with those wide eyes looking for more marshmallows. I don't have a problem with feeding the raccoons but marshmallows shouldn't even be eaten by humans let alone wild animals.

2  Thank csztova
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I took a trip to New Orleans for his birthday ... He's a big fan of the show swamp people, so I surprised him with this swamp tour. all of the tour guide people tried to make us book through them to try other swamp tours I just was stuck on this one and boy was it worth it!!!!! Although the temp had dropped significantly we were still able to see Alligators !!! Our tour guide was a little under the weather ( forgot his name name... he's Cajun and he knows his stuff) but he still carried on !!! He gave us so much information and history about the swamp!!!! We held the baby gator and even fed the raccoons marshmallows !!! I've drove to the location and it was pretty easy to get there!!! This is a true MUST Do if you're ever in New Orleans!!