“Tent camping is NOT the best. Close quarters is an understatement.”

Sam Houston Jones State Park
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Bath house in tent camping area was vial in the evening around 7pm. 3 of the 4 bath houses had feces on the toilets. I did not shower nor did my small children.I tried the next morning and it was clean. I love dogs but they need to enforce the leash law...if there is one. Our next door tenters dog wet on our tent when we were packing up to leave. Owners had him unleashed the two days they were there.
Pretty park more set up for day use fun. New frisbee golf was fun but easy to lose them in the water.

2  Thank pixiela
in 4 reviews
"hurricane rita"
"get away"
in 8 reviews
"a great place to spend"
"first night"

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Wife & I are pulling a small travel trailer ( Michigan to Texas, and back again ).
It just so happened that I was able to reserve 2-nites of the Easter weekend here.
YIKES !
Crammed full ! ( Duh !)
Small sites ( tiny !), neighbors pop-up nearly touched my trailer side.
People, kids, dogs, picnic activities, reserved pavilions, day-use & fish catchers......
It's a BUSY place !
Two nights and we're outa here.
Poor timing, but little alternative available.

Looks over-used/ under maintained.

Some pleasant path-ways and boardwalks.....
and the real feel of Louisiana.

2  Thank S2sailor
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's a pretty little park on the bayou. I'd love to go back and stay in one of the cabins for a few days. The hike/bike trails were good. I don't know how accurate the distances are and my husband was sure we were lost on what was supposed to be a 3/4 mile loop (we weren't lost - I knew where we were).

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This park is near Lake Charles and is a good place to ride bikes and camp. There are a lot of trees. The campsites are not real spacious and the accomodations are ok. We enjoyed the weekend we spent there.

1  Thank Mary H
See more reviews
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is the most beautiful around. Cypress trees and moss galore. Folks of all ages love to camp here and feed the ducks. Canoe rentals are cool too. Fishing, biking, hiking, bar b ques and a play area for the kiddies. The reason I rate this part as very good instead of excellent, is because it is lacking water sports for younger people. A swimming pool here would just be the icing on the cake!

3  Thank bayougirl68