“Want to go back and stay”

Sam Houston Jones State Park
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's a pretty little park on the bayou. I'd love to go back and stay in one of the cabins for a few days. The hike/bike trails were good. I don't know how accurate the distances are and my husband was sure we were lost on what was supposed to be a 3/4 mile loop (we weren't lost - I knew where we were).

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"hurricane rita"
"get away"
in 8 reviews
"a great place to spend"
"first night"

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This park is near Lake Charles and is a good place to ride bikes and camp. There are a lot of trees. The campsites are not real spacious and the accomodations are ok. We enjoyed the weekend we spent there.

1  Thank Mary H
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is the most beautiful around. Cypress trees and moss galore. Folks of all ages love to camp here and feed the ducks. Canoe rentals are cool too. Fishing, biking, hiking, bar b ques and a play area for the kiddies. The reason I rate this part as very good instead of excellent, is because it is lacking water sports for younger people. A swimming pool here would just be the icing on the cake!

3  Thank bayougirl68
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We did camp there recently and honestly, I was disappointed. The campsites are close together with limited privacy. When we arrived, the first thing I had to do was take the half eaten pudding cup, carrots, other garbage out of the fire pit. I also cleaned up beer caps and cigarrette buts in our space. The deer came to our campsite in the morning and evening driving our dogs crazy. They stayed by our site for 15-30 minutes each time waiting to be fed. I clapped my hands to try and get them away but they just came closer. Then they moved on to other campsites. They stayed in the middle of the campground for one our each evening eating something someone had thrown on the ground for them. Needless to say, the dogs were inside in the mornings and evenings - and they're good, quiet dogs who enjoy sitting outside with us.

The river was pretty and my husband did some kayaking. The trails are nice, but a little muddy when we were there.

We probably won't go back but okay for an overnight stay if you're on your way somewhere

2  Thank Karen S