“Nice place to camp”

Sam Houston Jones State Park
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This park is near Lake Charles and is a good place to ride bikes and camp. There are a lot of trees. The campsites are not real spacious and the accomodations are ok. We enjoyed the weekend we spent there.

1  Thank Mary H
There are newer reviews for Sam Houston Jones State Park

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is the most beautiful around. Cypress trees and moss galore. Folks of all ages love to camp here and feed the ducks. Canoe rentals are cool too. Fishing, biking, hiking, bar b ques and a play area for the kiddies. The reason I rate this part as very good instead of excellent, is because it is lacking water sports for younger people. A swimming pool here would just be the icing on the cake!

3  Thank bayougirl68
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We did camp there recently and honestly, I was disappointed. The campsites are close together with limited privacy. When we arrived, the first thing I had to do was take the half eaten pudding cup, carrots, other garbage out of the fire pit. I also cleaned up beer caps and cigarrette buts in our space. The deer came to our campsite in the morning and evening driving our dogs crazy. They stayed by our site for 15-30 minutes each time waiting to be fed. I clapped my hands to try and get them away but they just came closer. Then they moved on to other campsites. They stayed in the middle of the campground for one our each evening eating something someone had thrown on the ground for them. Needless to say, the dogs were inside in the mornings and evenings - and they're good, quiet dogs who enjoy sitting outside with us.

The river was pretty and my husband did some kayaking. The trails are nice, but a little muddy when we were there.

We probably won't go back but okay for an overnight stay if you're on your way somewhere

2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I didn't camp there but would gladly return with my camper. Really unique place and amazing opportunity to view wildlife. Would imagine with all the new reality shows like Gator Boys and Swamp People this place does a lot of business. Looking forward to going back and spending more time here.

3  Thank cnh624
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Happy New Year! Its cold and rainy but the deer are out. I bet in spring and summer its pretty. It has a boat dock, river, a little lake, playground, picknicking. Cabins are being renavated! Rv sites are ok. Some better than others so pick a good spot. Some of the rv sites the electricity and water hookup is FAR back.

3  Thank philyfz450