“Great Hotel (More than I expected)”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles South
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Lake Charles
Reviewed June 16, 2011

First, let me state that this property is new, clean, and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room amenities exceed what is expected in this class. I had a comfortable bed with choice of pillow (firm or soft -- labeled as such). Slept like a baby here. Room and bathroom were large and spotless. Two telephones, a desk (workstation), dresser, flat screen TV, and a lounge chair with matching ottoman still leave a lot of open space in the room. Plenty of outlets to charge and power the laptop, iPod, GPS, and cell phone. Refrigerator and Microwave sit in a separate area with cabinet space for your snacks.

I used the business center to print some documents and the laser printer ran out of toner. A staff member came and replaced it within 5 minutes. The deadbolt lock was aligned very well and was hard to close. I informed a staff member I ran across in the hall and it was fixed by the time I came back.

Prices for drinks, etc. are reasonable and lower than at many other hotels I have stayed at.

Overall a great experience and I highly recommend this property if you need to stay in the Lake Charles area. (good location and close to everything as well)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Nighttwo

Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed one night. The hotel is pretty new and was mostly clean. There was a hair on the toilet seat, but when my husband called the front desk, the girl that checked us in came up and cleaned it herself right away. She was very apologetic and friendly. Otherwise, the room was clean.

We checked thoroughly for evidence of bed bugs, and found none.

The only down side to the room was that the AC unit didn't seem to get rid of the humidity in the room. It did blow cold, though.

The restaurant in the lobby had decent food, but the service left something to be desired. I ordered the egg burrito with no bacon, and apparently the cook thought I needed meat, so he added sausage, which was not listed as an ingredient on the menu. I had to send it back, since I don't eat meat. It was right the second time.

My husband ordered the french toast with a side of ham. He was given spam. The menu did not say it was spam. It was called ham on the menu. I told him to send it back, but he was hungry enough that he just decided to keep it.

I ordered a large OJ, he ordered a small OJ. Our glasses were the same size, but we were charged two different amounts. Then the waitress came out with a carafe of OJ and asked if we wanted more OJ. We said sure, not knowing we would be charged for two OJ's each. We didn't complain because we figured we should have asked if it was extra.

Overall, the room was fine, but the restaurant was nothing special. We should have known, since we were the only customers there that morning.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scrapulous
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I have two complaints about our 3 day stay at this hotel. First, I was sick with a flu shortly after arriving. When I finally left my room and requested service, we were told that house cleaning leaves at 1pm - so no fresh towels or bed service. Secondly, I left some business clothes behind (my own fault, I admit!) but the hotel never called to inform me, and I had to call them three times before they told me that my stuff was not in lost and found!! My theory is that one of the
cleaning ladies has a nice new wardrobe at my expense. Very disappointing - especially since
they were new clothes!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Jaellies
holidayinnlakecharle, Webmaster at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles South, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Holiday Inn.

Thanks for your stay and the review.

We are taking effective measures to each of your observation.

We won’t justify, but rather invite you to stay again and feel the new experience.

Guest reviews always help us to improve.

You are always welcome to stay with us and we will offer you the best hospitality.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed at this property in early November. I had been a guest previously and travel often to Lake Charles on business. On my latest trip I brought along my checkbook since I had some bills to pay. My stay was fine, until I returned home. While reconciling my checking account statement, I discovered a missing check. And, in fact, someone had gone shopping at a local discount store in Lake Charles and forged my stolen check to make their purchase. I immediately notified the hotel and asked to speak with the general manager. I explained my problem, was told he was out, but that he would return my call. Of course, he never did. I then contacted Holiday Inn corporate and was given the same run-around ..... they contacted the hotel and gave the manager 48 hours to contact me ...... again, the manager never responded. I was told that corporate would be fining the franchisee (hotel) for their non-response. Otherwise, corporate told me there was nothing they could do. Actually, there was nothing they WOULD do. I told corporate they should send me the fine as reimbursement for my stolen check. I am supposedly an 'elite' priority club member ..... translation? It means nothing! My company has spent thousands of dollars in hotel costs and when I am the victim of theft, neither the hotel or corporate does much to help. I'm angry about the theft, but even more irate that the hotel does not even offer as much as a courtesy phone call to discuss the matter. My advice? Avoid this hotel at all costs ----- particularly if you bring anything of value into the room!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank dallasman2009

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your stay at the Holiday Inn.

We noted your review and apologize for the inconvenience caused howsoever.

We have investigated the issue and we have never come across such a complaint earlier, but your review is serious to us and shall do the best.

We have ensured that such a thing never happens again to any guest and the hotel staff behaves in the most guest friendly manner.

You can have a comfortable and secure stay next time. Trust us and visit us again.

Reviewed November 1, 2010

I usually stay at LaBuerge DuLac but decided to stay here tonight for something smaller. I was surprised by all of the ameneities for a much smaller hotel.
The bar and restaraunt was great, food good and affordable, great waitstaff/bartender. Most impressive was individual tv's and plugs for your laptop at each booth-perfect for business travelers trying to work and dine. hotel clean and felt much safer than other lake charles locations. Also a microwave and fridge in room and room service. two thumbs up!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2010

5 minute drive to Lauberge du Lac, about 10-15 minute to Isle of Carpi. Rooms are spotless and grounds also very well kept. Staff was courteous and helpful. Something to keep in mind--check in is at 3pm, so if you get there early, just go kill sometime down the road at Lauberge.

Great value for the $$--cant go wrong here. Highly recommend for any stay at Lake Charles and proximity to the major casinos.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Hotel was nice but encountered severe rash due to the Hot Tub being unclean.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks you for choosing the Holiday Inn.

We appreciate your review and are really sorry for the experience.

We take guest reviews seriously and shall take appropriate actions to check and improve all the amenities.

Anyway, we won’t disappoint you next time.

Please consider visiting us again.