“Consistantly Good Southern Fried Seafood”
Review of Steamboat Bill's

Steamboat Bill's
Ranked #1 of 272 Restaurants in Lake Charles
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We found this place several years ago while making our trips between Florida and Texas. We have eaten here many times over the years and the food is always good and plentiful. This place is always busy, which again speaks to the fact that the food is good, because people don't come here for the ambience, as it is a pretty plain jane kind of place. The crawfish pistolettes are to dye for, small Louisana rolls filled with crawfish etouffee. Fried foods dominate the menu, but there are a few other options. I have a stomach issues, so I have to be careful with the foods that I eat, and I have never had a problem here. The fried food is not greasy, as you find so many times at these type places. They use peanut oil to fry the fish, so if you have a nut allergy, this is not your place. A lot of so called cajun food places, think that putting a lot of spices on the food, makes it cajun. They haven't figured out that the spices should enhance the taste not block the taste of the food. I have found that the spices here have always been reasonable, which enhances the taste of the food. I always look forward to a stop for lunch here, unfortunately, I think this may have been our last trip for awhile. I sure wish they would open one in Pensacola, as we don't have a large choice of decent seafood places.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed December 18, 2013

If you like typical South Louisiana Fried Seafood you will like this place, The portions are enormous and the restaurant is very popular. There are some other choices, like boiled shrimp and boiled craw fish in season. Some fish can be ordered grilled. They have pistolettes, boudain balls, gumbo, jambalaya and creole. The service is rushed. You order at counter before you are seated, pay and then someone will bring the food. You can order additional beer, drinks and food, but it takes a while to get the attention of your waiter. There are loads of tourists that stop here, sometimes bus loads, so it can get very hectic. They are quite efficient though and get the food out quickly. Do it once, get your cholesterol shot and then decide if you want to do it again, you might just like it, lots of people do.

The restaurant is located on the north side of IH 10. If you are traveling east, take the first exit after the big "cross gun" bridge and make a u-turn under the next overpass and the place will be on the right. Traveling west take the last exit before the bridge. It is pretty easy off and on from IH 10. They have plenty of parking and parking attendants directing you during busy times.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

They called it the best sea food in Lake Charles? If fried is best, than they could be right. I had the platter which had some tasty, not overdone, catfish, some above average fried shrimp, a really tasty stuffed crab, and a jumbo stuffed shrimp with flavor. This did not knock my socks off, but I would surely go there again... and they serve beer! :-)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

You see the signs driving along I-10 .... Steamboat Bill's voted #1 Seafood restaurant in Lake Charles. Well anybody can paint what they want on a sign, and how many years ago did they vote? Then I drove by the place and noticed the place was packed with patrons ... at 2 pm in the afternoon! Now they have my attention. So OK, I decide to give Bill's a shot for dinner. I was not disappointed. First I squeezed into the full parking lot around 6 pm. After a short wait (there seems to always be a crowd) the receptionist hands me a menu and explains you order at the counter and they bring the food to the table. Lots of choices on the menu, but I opted for the jumbo fried shrimp including slaw and fries, with a bowl of shrimp gumbo for a starter. It was a great choice :) A cold beer washed it all down. Total cost was $23 (I thought reasonable). The gumbo was pure cajun nector, just delicious. The shrimp were perfectly cooked and plentiful. The cole slaw and fries were perfect as well. The beer was cold. No regrets and I already know where I'm going to eat next time I'm in Lake Charles!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Somewhere along the line the establishment made one too many substitutions. 1. A shrimp Po-Boy is made with French Bread, not a soft hot dog type bun, and 2. use bigger shrimp. Pop corn size shrimp for an establishment with as many reviews as were on display in the lobby is an affront to a true Louisianian.

1  Thank Papito1