“A Lake Charles institution”
Review of Steamboat Bill's

Steamboat Bill's
Ranked #1 of 266 Restaurants in Lake Charles
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Sydney
“A Lake Charles institution”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This place is something else! The staff are great and the food comes fast and plentiful. The staff do not push you to order fast and in fact we were told to take our time, even on a busy Saturday night, Im guessing the owners are reading these reviews and making changes, as everyone was very courteous to us who had no idea what we were doing.

The house baked potato was great and the combination plate was good too. The star of the show was the boudain ball if i am honest, great taste and no sauce required. The only letdown was the roll which tasted deep fried and for me ruined the taste of the etoufee pistiolet, but maybe Im not used to the taste of this type of bread.

San Antonio, Texas
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is the place to go for excellent Cajun cuisine. We loved it as always. Had the seafood gumbo and the shrimp ettoufee. Both were delicious. Will order them again. My husband had the shrimp poor boy and was it ever loaded with shrimp. He also ordered the seafood gumbo and enjoyed it as well. The service was friendly and the place was packed with its lunch crowd yet everyone was effecient in their duties. Our table was cleared as we finished an item and the water glasses kept full even though it was really busy. Hats off to all. We will stop by again on our way through Lake Charles.

Branson, Missouri
“Touristy”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Poor service to first-time visitors. You walk up to a counter & order from an overhead menu board. Since we needed time to review menu, we were rudely told to stand aside "behind the yellow line, til we knew what we wanted."
Shrimp was tasteless; catfish just okay.

Visited May 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Good spice on the gumbo- except it was way too salty.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stopped by here on our way to Houston - so we would not have to stop in Beaumont. Looked like a fun place for kids. A lot of fried food! And a lot of obese people too! The gumbo was tasty but too salty. Excellent iced tea - and the Guiness Stout was only $3.00. You order at the counter and they bring the food to you.

Bridge City, Texas
“I Just Don't Get It”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I know everybody seems to love this place but, honestly, I just don't get the hype. First the food: It was average. All the fried food tasted the same, and was overcooked to the point of being tough and rubbery. Not really greasy, but kind of salty and hard. I ordered a seafood platter and my husband ordered the shrimp & oyster combo. We also ordered boiled shrimp to bring home with us. The stuffed crab and shrimp had NO, and I mean NO crabmeat or shrimp in the stuffing. Just mush and undercooked onions. I would swear they were from the grocer's freezer. As I said, the fried fish, shrimp and oysters all tasted the same. The boiled shrimp we brought home tasted more like crawfish because of the seasoning. Just not good. Now, the service: Everybody in the front of the room, where they herd you to ordering stations like cattle, seemed to be in a bad mood. Testy and unsmiling. Once we were seated, however, the wait staff was pleasant, friendly, and efficient. The system seems to work for them because the whole experience lasted about 40 minutes from start to finish, but didn't really create an enjoyable Friday night for us. I know I may be treading on sacred ground, but I've had MUCH better food elsewhere and will probably not return to Steamboat Bill's.