“Returning from SouthWest trip, in La. looking for a Shrimp PoBoy 2/3/2013”
Review of Steamboat Bill's

Steamboat Bill's
Ranked #1 of 272 Restaurants in Lake Charles
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed February 26, 2013

after making a long and circular trip from our home in NEGeoriga out west and returning through south Louisiana we had our mouths set for a hot Shrimp PO'Boy Sandwich as we hit Louisiana, we had been talking about this sandwich about two hours by the time we reached Lake Charles. We found Steamboat Bills on Tripadvisor and decided to stop,...it was late sunday morning, we called them, and they were open...the restaurant was not far off the road, great! when we arrived there was someone outside directing parking...the place was already packing them in.

they have a system of order and pay at a counter,,,then sit and they bring the food to customers once prepared....We had thought to order take-out for our po'boy sandwiches, however an employee said it takes the same amount of time so best to just eat. The same employee asked us why were we ordering that? I found it odd and should have thought twice...the food was good and the shrimp were great, only thing it was served on a hoagie bun that was like a hamburger bun, I mean soft bread, not french bread as we are used to po'boys being served on...

SO if you are looking for a po'boy on french bread...re-think or enjoy the soft bread...by the way the seafood platters coming out of the kitchen looked out of this world! They have a great thing going and it is obvious they do a great business and are well recognized in Lake Charles! ENJOY! SuperBowl Sunday lunch Lake Charles La

1  Thank eatprayloveall
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I ate at Steamboat Bill's twice while on a one week business trip to..it was that good. The crawfish were my favorite but the fried shrimp and boudin ball were also really good. Just about everything is fried and richly seasoned. I live in the south so I appreciate good rich flavour in my food. LOVED IT< LOVED IT!!

1  Thank EricaSykesSmith
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I don't consider myself that picky of an eater but good authentic Cajun food is hard to find, even in Louisiana. We actually ate at Emeril's 2 nights ago and Steamboat Bill's beat them out in everything but atmosphere. Try the red beans and rice, the gumbo (perfect roux), the boudin ball and the gator bites. Very friendly staff too.

1  Thank CashTravels
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I went there Feb 18 2013 and it was pretty good. The oysters were excellent fried. The coleslaw was way to much mayo but the kids preparing probably didn't even taste it. youhave to love your job folks. We ordered 5 seafood platters and 1 cup of gumbo.
I ordered mine in a to-go box and the servers put everybodies in one so they don't follow directions very well. The pistoles were empty but i guess both locations ration the sauce. This is a location in town I believe the daughters location which used to be pretty bad now its reversed this one was much better then the I-10 location. i'm just saying I'm going back March 1st week so I'll be tasting again

2  Thank lovetoplay217
Reviewed February 19, 2013

For our pleasure trip to Lake Charles, we were advised the best place to get some good 'ol cajun food would be Steamboat Bill's. Hubby had the cajun fried shrimp and I had the spicy, boiled shrimp. Had to go back a second time within three days....that good.....this time I tried the crawfish for the first time along with the spicy, boiled shrimp....hubby stuck with his usual along with shrimp gumbo. Down home atmosphere and quick service. Would recommend this place highly !!!

1  Thank SusanShawnee_KS