“I don't think we will try them again”
Review of Steamboat Bill's

Steamboat Bill's
Ranked #1 of 268 Restaurants in Lake Charles
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The only really redeeming feature we found was the free MardiGras beads they gave our girls when we came into the restaurant. I was hoping for a possible nicer place than it turned out, it felt like a fast food place. The menu states that soft drinks are $1 but the order board at the register says $1.99, guess which one is right... I ordered 4 shrimp pistolettes that came out in a timely manner and were -ok- but nothing spectacular. I also ordered the medium shrimp (large) and my wife had the regular medium shrimp. The batter was thick and flavorless aside from what tasted like they were cooked in old grease. Girls had fish and chicken strips which were also flavorless save the old grease taste. I will say the food was hot and seemed to be cooked to the right doneness, just horrible taste and too thick of battering. Maybe they have good boiled seafood or good gumbo, but the fried portions we had left a lot to be desired. $65 was alot for the quality we received. Really disappointed.

2  Thank Wes B
There are newer reviews for Steamboat Bill's

996 - 1,000 of 1,158 reviews

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hit this place up everytime we go through LA.

The Boiled Crawfish and the Crawfish Pistolette are my favorite things on the menu!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We travel to Lake Charles, LA. just to eat there. The pistolettes, fried oyster/shrimp is the best. Take their hot sauce home with you.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Well, I see other reviewers loved it, but I found the food highly disappointing.

The etouffee was white and tasted like paste. The shrimp po-boy was soggy and had no flavor. We were treated like cattle, shuffled from one room to the other. The table was right next to the bathrooms - where the sinks were outside in the restaurant. It's a bit disturbing to be two feet from someone coming out of the bathroom and washing their hands behind your back.

1  Thank CRT-Foodie
Reviewed November 26, 2012

If you're passing through Lake Charles La on the west side off I-10 is Steamboat Bill's. Stop by
you won't regret it. The food is good and so is the service. You're greeted by the hostess and given a menu to look at. After deciding what you want walk upbto the counter and place your order. The server will bring you your food to the table when it's ready. The fried shrimp are large. Not those so called popcorn shrimp. The gumbo makes you want to pick up the bowl and drink it down. I don't think you'll be disappointed here. The prices are not outrageous either. Give it a try if you're in the Lake Charles area.